Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - to large dimple symmetrical cam version

• Thread starter Deleted member 80
  • Start date

ironmike

Reaction score
similar sitch... I gave FCA or Ram Cares my vin & they state there are zero TSB's, zero recalls or anything on updates for mine.....3/20 build date, 6/30 delivery to me.... go figure, with hearing what the consensus experiences are, i would think there would be something... I have compared sounds & feels of the pumps on other 19/20 6.7's on Enterprise fleet trucks and know my pump is quieter and smoother compared to other pumps so far. Maybe i got lucky? Not sure if this help anyone, but food for thought......
Also, i have been using only costco diesel for last 10 fill ups & periodically before & plan on sticking with costco fuel.... 9600 miles to date..

John Jensen

Reaction score
If it has this large dimple punched near the top it is the new version.
No dimple it's the 4.2 original

CP 4,2 current.jpeg

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

UglyViking

Reaction score
Have 8 small dimples
Number of dimples doesn't matter, likely just a production run/location marker. The larger single dimple (above the small ones) points to you having an updated lobe design. Either way, it doesn't matter as even the updated likely is still a time bomb, if it wasn't then FCA would have kept that rather than admitting fault and reverting to using the more expensive CP3 pump.

Greg69

Reaction score
Number of dimples doesn't matter, likely just a production run/location marker. The larger single dimple (above the small ones) points to you having an updated lobe design. Either way, it doesn't matter as even the updated likely is still a time bomb, if it wasn't then FCA would have kept that rather than admitting fault and reverting to using the more expensive CP3 pump.
I dont have a large dimple

UglyViking

Reaction score
I dont have a large dimple
Not sure if you are just making a statement or if this is a follow up but I'll answer. If you don't have the large dimple you have the first version of the CP4

Greg69

Reaction score
Not sure if you are just making a statement or if this is a follow up but I'll answer. If you don't have the large dimple you have the first version of the CP4
Probably it's a 2019 and yes no large dimple just 8 small ones. Thanks for the info

caponetech

Reaction score
Same pump. They are taking the hit too.

It's said the Ford's have a CP4 as well but I wonder if it is a different mechanical revision. They run higher pressure so the gear drive on it is likely different but I wonder about the twisting lifter and all that. I did a search through F series forums and didn't find near the complaints on their trucks that the RAMs have.

I haven't read about one failure of the new dimple pump. Only people saying service advisors have told them they have seen it like dude told me today. I still haven't seen anyone post that theirs was new style, but many early fail posters are first timers just coming to vent and probably don't even know about the dimple. If the dimple fixes the problem, I reckon' we'll become the bastard years that people tell others to avoid in the future. "Hey, looking at a HD RAM what ya think!" "Good trucks but stay away from the 19-20s" just like people would say about the 6.0 Ford.

I just don't see them doing a recall. It would admit failure and cost them since the Morgan & Morgan class action hounds are already loose on this topic on the other MFGs. $20k repair bills for a certain percentage of trucks isn't ideal, but it can't possibly hurt their billion dollar pocket books. Besides, they print money with these trucks. $20k is likely what they've got into it. You paid $60k. They fix it for $20k and they're still up.
Isn’t Ford pump electrically driven. That may equal constant speed, with less high torque application to shaft. The engine driven pumps have a lot of varying conditions.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
All the big diesel high pressure pumps are mechanical. Even direct injection gasoline engines. The extreme pressures necessitate a gearset driven pump. The fuel is injected during the compression stroke and has extreme pressure to work against. An electric pump accomplishing 29,000+ psi every stroke would need to have some wicked voltage and be a very expensive and inefficient system.

caponetech

Reaction score
Went to dealer and saw new fuel pump for 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

str_8_shot

Reaction score
I wonder how one is to tell the difference on my replacement CP4 pump at 2200 miles of 68503523AA they replaced back in February Symetrical or Asymetrical that proceeded to blow the fuel inlet line off after 6 miles, as I don't remember them doing a ECM reprogramming after but it still has a weird rattle from the CP4 pump that I can duplicate just by turning on the fast idle that starts at 1100 rpm's that goes up from there and you can hear it as you drive down the road.

I wish Ram would get past the discovery phase that's been going since March on my lemon case so I can be done with this truck but Ram is using this Covid to drag out all buybacks and swaps since the courts are letting them.
Any update on your case? Im in the same boat.

Dennisjd63

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping to post that Ram/Cummins saw the light, and dumped the dreaded CP4, but that is not the case. There is a running change apparently taking place on the pump internals, from an asymetrical to a symetrical design. The main reason to post this is because the ECM has to be flashed with the correct tune to match the pump on the truck.

View attachment 6347
How do I know which pump I have ? My truck was built sept of 2018

Users who are viewing this thread