Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - to large dimple symmetrical cam version

• Thread starter Deleted member 80
  • Start date

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point the only unknowns to the crew (like me) who follows this issue with every development is:

1) Changes of the symmetrical cam CP4. As in, we know the cam lobe was altered for a less aggressive ramp rate. However, I haven't seen or heard of anyone opening up one yet to see if anything else has been changed (such as a keyed lifter).

2) The 2021 pump. There are some rando posts on various forums with people who claim to know "insiders" that bet their farm on the switch back to CP3 (that's why the rumor). Until we see a pump on an actual MY 2021, nobody will know.

3) The parts shortage on the CP4 could be causing FCA to drag their feet on a TSB or recall for the older units. Some theories are they don't want to admit fault, but the pump IS under STAR restriction (internal outfit that deals with repair authorization). FCA could full well end up recalling the older units, but they just got a 3-peat truck of the year and are dealing with worldwide Rona manufacturing shortages. Any new design pumps are going to be reserved for the damaged trucks authorized for repair, and the new trucks coming out of the factory to maintain the sales momentum.

Since I'm here listing stuff might as well go over what we DO know for the new crowd:

1) The CP4.2 injection pump was installed in all 2019-2020 RAM 6.7s. The original had an asymmetrical cam design for the lifter. The theory of failure is that the aggressive ramp rate of the cam lobe contributes to the lifter turning in the bore, effectively kicking the roller off it's intended path, causing it to grind and send metal shavings through the system. Additive companies claim to aid the prevention of this by increasing the lubricity in the fuel, making it "slippery" so the lifter roller doesn't stick and kick to the side. Around early September, a revision to the pump was released [Pump Identification Link]. It is identified by the large machined dimple in the top right corner. All other small dimples on any of the pumps are nothing but date/mfg coding and do not indicate design differences. The revised pump has a symmetrical cam lobe theorized to lessen the ramp rate of the lifter, reducing the chance of the lifter spinning in the bore.

2) The only reason we know about this pump change is a TSB (technical service bulletin) released by FCA telling the field techs that a specific tune flash needs to be associated with each pump revision. The asym flash will cause NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) on sym pumps and vise versa. This does NOT mean that the pump was revised because of an existing NVH issue. No official word from FCA or Bosch or Cummins has been released on why the pump was revised.

3) Old style asym pumps have been known (from first hand experience testimonials on the net) to grenade between both 2019s and 2020s and at all mileage from just a couple hundred up to 30,000+.

4) There is no known failure rate outside of FCA. The "7%" claim comes from an additive manufacture and has been spread around by other companies. This rate likely includes all CP4s, maybe even including the CP4.1 and CP4.2s on other vehicles like VWs, EcoDiesel, PowerStroke...etc. The failure rate on specifically the 2019+ RAM HD is unusually high for anyone that has followed automotive things on the net for 20+ years. This IS a problem and the hush-hush pump revision is more fuel to that fire.

5) As of this post there is no known failure of the new style sym pump

6) Of all the research I do on this issue on every forum and a few Facebook groups, there has only been one first hand report of a warranty denial due to contaminated fuel on a RAM HD. At first the person was denied for having an aftermarket fuel filter, but after he cited Magnusson-Moss act, the dealer changed their story to contaminated fuel.

7) It is not known how the fuel testing is done. This is in reference to additives. Nobody knows if they are just checking for water, or if they send the fuel through a likely much more complex and technical testing procedure to check for the chemicals that would contribute to added cetane/lubricity/injector cleaning, basically all the stuff that the additives claim to add. Since different fuel companies use different additive packages, I'm not sure how they would be able to find a "base" fuel to standardize from anyway, but there's probably a way.

8) 2021 RAM HD High Output sales literature explains "more fuel flow" contributing to the power rating increase. Does this hint at another pump revision or a different unit? Simply more pressure like the Fords run (that have less failures)? We will see.

I would caution people to disregard any information about the CP4 on other vehicle platforms. Ford still uses it, but they just don't have the failure rates that the RAM HDs saw from 19-20. The pumps are all similar in this CP4 family, but they are specific to the engine design and are specifically "tuned" for certain pressures. There's just something about the ones on RAM HDs that are causing this unusual failure rate.

Also, it would be nice to have a MAIN CP4 thread that we can stick to. There's like 4 different threads going and having all the info in one place would be nice and likely cut down on the perceived fervor over this issue.

Excellent post.

Yes, it would be great to have a limited number of CP4 threads, but at this point, a merge is almost an impossible task. Thread starters tend to get their feels hurt if you merge too much. I've done the best I can when I see them to move newly created failure complaint threads into one of the other existing threads, but it's like herding cats and I'm sometimes not online for days at a time due to work obligations.

I will run through this thread again just to be certain, and am forewarning others, IMHO failure complaints don't belong in this thread and will be moved to one of the others. If anyone sees this and wants to help, please report the post and suggest where to move it.

Canguy

Reaction score
I have a 7/20 build date on my 3500 SO, it also has the large single dimple pump
I also have a 7/20 build but a 2500. How do I determine whether or not I have the newer pump?

Nomorecp4

Reaction score
So I just watched the video. The guy is a little scattered brain but he gives good information. Has anybody else checked there fuel pump dimples. I have neither 4 or 1 dimple configuration, I have a 2 dimple pattern. I'm not sure what that means. More than likely, different numbers and patterns and locations mean different things. Lots of possibilities, I can see this simple thing taking off trying to figure out what they mean for model differences. It does sound like the 1 dimple is the latest and greatest technological advancement on a crappy pump, wich means mine is not the best with a build date of January 20. I did like what he said about the hot shot additive, I'll have to check that stuff out. View attachment 6950
This Guy is dumber than a bucket of hammers

Lg3822

Reaction score
I have seen better results with xdp over edt. That would be the old style pump. Below is the new style. With the single dimple marking and other dimples below. The designation is the single larger dimple in the circled location. That is the only way to tell is if that single dimple is there the other dimples don’t really mean anything besides what line and what batch. So if you don’t have that single dimple which is in every truck after 9/1/2020
a1b5e6abb9407853014ec1551abd62a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, am I reading this right? Trucks with build dates after 9/1/20 all have the new symmetrical design cp4?

mostcorey95

Reaction score
So, am I reading this right? Trucks with build dates after 9/1/20 all have the new symmetrical design cp4?

After that date most of the trucks coming out of the factory had the symmetrical pump. There still may be a few stragglers here and there.

ironmike

Reaction score
So my pump is an older version, not current, correct? I have not seen these dimple configurations yet. I am minus the single bigger dimple.

Attachments

• image0(2).jpeg
    image0(2).jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 63

Thorvald

Reaction score
Mine has build dates of late August and has the revised pump Camshaft:

Build Date: 08/20
MDH: 082701 (Month/Day/Hour) 1am?
Window sticker: 08/29

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The first reported dimple failure has happened. September big dimple truck.

Trust not in your dimples, for they are a false injection prophet.

Screenshot_20201231-232153_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201231-232235_Facebook.jpg

dslbrnr

Reaction score
Epsilon plus, sorry to hear of your pump failure my truck has the same build date.
What was your mileage?
Were you using any fuel additives?
Did they have to replace the entire fuel system, injectors etc?
Thanks

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Epsilon plus, sorry to hear of your pump failure my truck has the same build date.
What was your mileage?
Were you using any fuel additives?
Did they have to replace the entire fuel system, injectors etc?
Thanks

Wasn't mine. I have a Feb built asym glitter bomb. Dude said 6,000 miles, no additives. Dealer has a STAR procedure they must follow for failure so they all get full system replacement.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
Wasn't mine. I have a Feb built asym glitter bomb. Dude said 6,000 miles, no additives. Dealer has a STAR procedure they must follow for failure so they all get full system replacement.
Oh okay, thanks for the reply. I have 4K on mine, so far so good. I've been using Power Service Diesel Kleen pretty much every tank since delivery if that even helps. I buy most of my fuel at Costco which seems to have a good turnover. I've used their fuel on my previous diesels and never detected any water when draining the filters/water separators, it always looks clean.

Well atleast if it blows they won't need to pull the cab off the frame to get to it unlike another brand truck. Makes me sleep a little easier!!

WBHVACER

Reaction score
I have seen better results with xdp over edt. That would be the old style pump. Below is the new style. With the single dimple marking and other dimples below. The designation is the single larger dimple in the circled location. That is the only way to tell is if that single dimple is there the other dimples don’t really mean anything besides what line and what batch. So if you don’t have that single dimple which is in every truck after 9/1/2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine was build 8/20. Mine has the CP 4.2

Attachments

• 673823D1-266D-4B0D-9A8D-87B9805564FA.jpeg
    673823D1-266D-4B0D-9A8D-87B9805564FA.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 30158B55-7E42-4BD5-9DCB-CB52E65A87CF.jpeg
    30158B55-7E42-4BD5-9DCB-CB52E65A87CF.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 52

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was build 8/20. Mine has the CP 4.2

Thanks for adding a data point on pump builds.

FWIW, all 2019-2020 have a CP4.2

Both the asymmetrical (old style) cam lobe and symmetrical (new style) cam lobe pumps are CP4.2

The .2 indicates a two piston/chamber pump, not the type of cam lobe.

regal2800

Reaction score
I took my '19 in to have them check it out. Dealer said everything was working normal and that the TSB didn't apply to my VIN. I have a build date of 3-19 so i have no idea which is the preferred pump, one big dimple or a few small dimples. My dealer, Huntington Beach ram, also said they aren't seeing pump failures so :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread