Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Configure Alternator for 2500 tow

erik53

Reaction score
Considering purchase of a new 2500 6.4 Big Horn for towing travel trailer or small 5W. Will have to custom order. Working with dealer to specify the options (2021 models are no longer built, and the 2022 build options are only visible to the dealer.) My question is about the alternator options. I believe the standard unit is 180 ams. There is an option for 1 220 amp unit, and also an option for dual alternators producing 380 ams together. If you got one of those options on yours, why? My idea is that it would be nice to have extra capacity to charge the trailer house batteries, but to do that right I would have to install a special regulator. Any thoughts?

TexasT

Reaction score
You don't specify your unit as 4x4 but the snow prep pkg with the skid plate, 220A alternator and some other stuff is what I would check the box for if it is. If not a 220A I'm sure would do fine for a couple hundred dollars on a 2wd unit. I wouldn't want the added complexity of multiple alternators when the time comes to have to replace one and figure out which one and such.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Prepper motto: Two is one and one is none.

Glad I opted for the dual 220 (diesel option) on my truck even though I don't currently have any high amp charge requirements. The recovery after cold starts is so much quicker and the chance of anything being shut down due to low voltage lessened.

erik53

Reaction score
Right now I have 4x4 in the build. The reason is I am afraid of getting stuck on soggy ground when boondocking. Not into off-roading at this stage of my life, but certainly travel some dirt roads. But I am thinking of going 2x4 because: 1. The 4x4 sits so high off the ground, I could barely enter it during test drive (no running boards). I would get running boards, but fear the my wife and visiting grandkids would still find it difficult to get in. 2. The 2x4 should give me more load capacity, which is critical for towing a 5w. Towing capacity is not the limiting number for those. 3. I would save some $$ by omitting the 4x4. 4. When I had a 4x4 Chevy years ago, I saw significant extra maintenance costs from that. Not much concerned with snow, since I live in Phoenix, but of course one could run into snow and ice at a Colorado mountain pass.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The first time you have to move your 5th on even a small incline on wet grass or in soggy ground, you will immediately regret not having 4x4.

Just saying you should give more consideration to something you could potentially need, if only once.

Fuel mileage and payload will be impacted some, but the maintenance on a solid axle 4x4 is much less of a concern than IFS (IMHO).

ETA: I would add that it should go without saying, but don't go by the payload numbers you see on the marketing and sales web sites. Trim and options will affect those numbers. If you can find a truck optioned like you want, take the VIN and do the towing and payload lookup for that vehicle to see real world numbers. FWIW, I'd say a gas 2500 should have enough payload for anything it is realistically rated to tow. It's the 2500 diesel guys that typically make that mistake.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
More alternator is great but for what you are doing a single 180 is fine…. I have the dual 220s but mainly less stress on the system when my plow is on i could have went with the 180A and been fine with it

unclelala

Reaction score

Glad I opted for the dual 220 (diesel option) on my truck even though I don't currently have any high amp charge requirements. The recovery after cold starts is so much quicker and the chance of anything being shut down due to low voltage lessened.
I'll agree 2 is better than one any day. One of the reasons I got 2 alternators whether it be right or wrong is I'm getting a 60 amp DC to DC charger for a bank of lithiums for our 5th so I can charge the RV batteries fully in medium to long trips while the truck is running.

TexasT

Reaction score
You said you were ordering so I figured for the $855 or whatever the 2022 will be, you get the 220A alternator, clearance lamps, limited slip diff, and fancy tires . Snow Chief Group. (I can't seem to get a link to it to come up.
Another thing to consider since you are ordering is to move to a 3500 to get the leaf springs instead of the coils for better stability while towing.
We were going to order a 3500 srw hemi but the dealer called and returned our deposit a few months ago as they said that they were not taking any more orders and we would have to wait for the 2022 pricing to come out. I ended up buying a gently used 2018 2500 ctd and love it.

Firebird

Reaction score

My 3500 has the dual alternators also, will be nice for charging house batteries while towing.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 3500 has the dual alternators also, will be nice for charging house batteries while towing.

The 12V supplied through the 7-pin is limited in amps and won't take advantage of the dual alts but those that need more do DC-DC charger wired to the HAPP connector on the battery.

erik53

Reaction score
Bruta_HO,
What you say about 4x4 makes sense to me, and I think I will keep it 4x4.
Since this is an order, I can't get the VIN. To get payload numbers, I use the official ramtrucks.com website, For the build options, I see only 2021 data. For towing data they let me use the main parameters of the configuration, but not every option. For the 2021 diesel big horn crew cab 6'4" box Big Horn 4x4 I get only 2,200 lbs payload and 17,290 lbs towing. For the gas version it shows 3,530 lbs payload and 14,020 lbs towing. Again, this did not take into account different axle ratios, nor the weight of various minor options. However, the difference in payload should reflect the difference in engine weight, and so it makes sense to me, and I don't think axle ratio affects payload. 2,200 lbs payload is pathetic, 1/2 ton territory. A p;roperly loaded 5w should put about 20% of its total weight on the pin, which means 2,000 lbs for a small one, before accounting for passengers, truck baggage and gas. I am getting 6 seats for 6 adults, so figure 1200 lbs for them with luggage. The gas version seems suitable though. I guess a 3500 would be much better for towing, but not fun as my daily driver in town.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Bruta_HO,
Since this is an order, I can't get the VIN. To get payload numbers, I use the official ramtrucks.com website, For the build options, I see only 2021 data. For towing data they let me use the main parameters of the configuration, but not every option. For the 2021 diesel big horn crew cab 6'4" box Big Horn 4x4 I get only 2,200 lbs payload and 17,290 lbs towing. For the gas version it shows 3,530 lbs payload and 14,020 lbs towing. Again, this did not take into account different axle ratios, nor the weight of various minor options. However, the difference in payload should reflect the difference in engine weight, and so it makes sense to me, and I don't think axle ratio affects payload. 2,200 lbs payload is pathetic, 1/2 ton territory. A p;roperly loaded 5w should put about 20% of its total weight on the pin, which means 2,000 lbs for a small one, before accounting for passengers, truck baggage and gas. I am getting 6 seats for 6 adults, so figure 1200 lbs for them with luggage. The gas version seems suitable though. I guess a 3500 would be much better for towing, but not fun as my daily driver in town.
Really depends on the 5th wheel my old 97 jayco designer is 36ft 8500lbs empty and 1600lbs dry pin weight but has a 45gal fresh water tank at the very back same with most of the cupboards so the weight upfront is much less…. The payload ram shows is really silly as the axle weights are limited to 12k after the safety factor and they rate the truck at 10k… if you care about the lawyer limits go with a 3500 but a 2500 can do a lot more than the lawyers rate them at

TexasT

Reaction score
Bruta_HO,
The gas version seems suitable though. I guess a 3500 would be much better for towing, but not fun as my daily driver in town.
Srw 3500 is pretty much the same dimensions as the 2500. Might have a rougher ride but you do get some more carrying capacity moving up.
I do agree the 4x4 is taller than that 4x2. My wife had knee surgery last year so that was one of the reasons I was getting into a different truck. The "old" one didn't have side steps and I wasn't adding em to a twenty yr old truck . I would have ordered the wheel to wheel steps but this one we got has the cab length and they work for her.

erik53

Reaction score
My actual need will be in the spring at the earliest, I have time to think about this. From a financial standpoint I would have to wait longer if I opt for diesel and/or 3500. I am an engineer, and I think the lawyer numbers come from engineers. I have never had a fifth wheel, but my first thought is that putting a lot of weight on the front is good for avoiding sway. My parking spot at home limits me to a 30 ft trailer. In that small section of the market I see (new) models around roughtly 10,000 to 12,000 gross weight, dry weights around 7,000 - 9,000 lbs, and dry pin weights specified at around 1300 - 1500 lbs (my numbers may be slightly off, but you get the idea.). So if you load a 7,000 5w up to its max 10,000, it is reasonable to expect the pin weight to grow to 2,000. I may start towing bigger conventional trailers, then maybe experiment with rental 5w before possibly buying one. By waiting I will know my needs better, although I won't really know until I have the truck and try towing something. On a sidenote, somewere I read someone referring to sway bar for 5w. Do those exist? Oh, and I forgot to mention that my truck build currently has 3.73 axle ratio. I understand that 4.10 would tow better, but I am also concerned about daily driving.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My actual need will be in the spring at the earliest, I have time to think about this. From a financial standpoint I would have to wait longer if I opt for diesel and/or 3500. I am an engineer, and I think the lawyer numbers come from engineers. I have never had a fifth wheel, but my first thought is that putting a lot of weight on the front is good for avoiding sway. My parking spot at home limits me to a 30 ft trailer. In that small section of the market I see (new) models around roughtly 10,000 to 12,000 gross weight, dry weights around 7,000 - 9,000 lbs, and dry pin weights specified at around 1300 - 1500 lbs (my numbers may be slightly off, but you get the idea.). So if you load a 7,000 5w up to its max 10,000, it is reasonable to expect the pin weight to grow to 2,000. I may start towing bigger conventional trailers, then maybe experiment with rental 5w before possibly buying one. By waiting I will know my needs better, although I won't really know until I have the truck and try towing something. On a sidenote, somewere I read someone referring to sway bar for 5w. Do those exist? Oh, and I forgot to mention that my truck build currently has 3.73 axle ratio. I understand that 4.10 would tow better, but I am also concerned about daily driving.
You dont get sway with 5wheel and goosenecks like you do with bumper pull trailers and trust me the numbers are only there for registration reasons for example my 2500 CTD i have about 500lbs of tools plus extra weight in my truck and the trailer in the first picture has a dry tongue weight of 1625lbs No Weight distributing hitch notice it has no squat…. Second picture truck is loaded with hunting gear and 2200lbs of water including tote and 5 full 5gallon fuel cans, trailer has 1500lbs Side by side and a bunch of other gear roughly about 3500lbs with 400lbs tongue weight. These 2500s can take way more than ram says and it handles it well no white knuckles its a pleasure to drive loaded and empty…. Just food for thought also as an engineer you should understand the numbers from engineers can be inflated often (i work with engineers daily)

Attachments

• FCB9FB19-F774-4142-BA60-2F55D9477C98.jpeg
    FCB9FB19-F774-4142-BA60-2F55D9477C98.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 0443E182-E30D-48F1-810D-4CE8ADEF46D7.jpeg
    0443E182-E30D-48F1-810D-4CE8ADEF46D7.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 26

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Bruta_HO,

OK, I'm confused if you are planning gas or diesel. Your first post says, "2500 6.4 Big Horn" which implies a gas hemi (6.4L) and not bed length.

If you are talking diesel, it's a 6.7L truck. A 2500 diesel doesn't have the payload needed for a 5th wheel.

It would help to clarify.

P.S. @H3LZSN1P3R will tell you that a 2500 diesel can haul the space shuttle on a gooseneck trailer without squat.

erik53

Reaction score
To clarify: The current plan is for the 6.4 gas engine, and my belief is that the diesel version of the same truck would not have the payload to handle a 5w.
So, if I get the gas version as planned, and if RAM is underrating it as claimed, then I should be able to handle a small 5w within the official spec's, and I will have a margin for handling more without breaking anything, but it might not handle more in terms of going up hills. If I change to 4.10 axle ratio I might actually be able to go up hills with a mid-sized 5w.
If OTOH I get the diesel, I am outside official spec's from the start, which looks bad in an accident, even if it does the job just fine with a small or even mid-sized 5w. Agreed?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
To clarify: The current plan is for the 6.4 gas engine, and my belief is that the diesel version of the same truck would not have the payload to handle a 5w.
So, if I get the gas version as planned, and if RAM is underrating it as claimed, then I should be able to handle a small 5w within the official spec's, and I will have a margin for handling more without breaking anything, but it might not handle more in terms of going up hills. If I change to 4.10 axle ratio I might actually be able to go up hills with a mid-sized 5w.
If OTOH I get the diesel, I am outside official spec's from the start, which looks bad in an accident, even if it does the job just fine with a small or even mid-sized 5w. Agreed?
Yes that is agreed, really depends on how they work it by local laws, here i register it for what ever i want and aslong as i am within the axle ratings i am ok, regardless of rams payload specs…. Now as far as pulling power with the gas and 4.10 you will be good pulling most 5th wheels uphill or not, the avg 5th wheel is 8500-11500 unless you are getting in to the 38Ft+ trailers with all the luxury's of home

Users who are viewing this thread