Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coil and leaf spring part numbers, photos of 3500 with and without air bags

m3rd

Reaction score
Hi all,

In an effort to determine whether to add air lift for an improved ride to my SO 3500 CCSB SRW order, I set out to determine the differences between the springs both visually and by part number. Below is a table of the part numbers for several configurations (including a 2500). I obtained these by visiting several dealership and taking photos and/or recording the part numbers on the springs. Below the table are photos of two 3500 gas CCLB SRW trucks, one with air suspension and one without. Here are my observations:

3500 without air suspension: four leafs total - two full leafs and one ¾ length leaf strapped together, ends of the fourth leaf are separated from the three leaf pack with bumpers at both ends, three spacers between the spring pack & axle. Three leafs are the same thickness, fourth bottom leaf is thicker.

3500 with air suspension: three full leafs and one front ½ leaf - two full leafs strapped together, ends of third leaf separated from two leaf pack with bumpers at both ends, end of front ½ leaf even with end of 3rd leaf, one spacer between spring pack & axle. ½ leaf is thickest leaf of either spring pack, third leaf thicker than two that are strapped, but thinner than front ½ leaf.

It is interesting that the air suspension front springs part numbers are different from those without air suspension.

At this point I am leaning towards adding the air suspension. If down the road the system becomes problematic or fails I'll replace with the non air suspension spring pack or something after market.

1642387622877.png

Right side with air suspension
1642388614585.png

Right side without air suspension
1642388871259.png

Left side with air suspension
1642388973128.png

Left side with air suspension
1642389059169.png

Left side without air suspension
1642389160780.png

henrys

Reaction score
I was on the fence about ordering my '22 3500 with factory air. I wanted the softer ride but I'm going to be near or slightly over the trucks payload capacity when fully loaded and read about others having issues with system complaining about it and/or failing all together. Now I'm in the same boat, the truck rides rough as hell unloaded (even with rear tires at 55 psi) and I'd like it to ride better as a "daily driver". My solution right now is to run sandbags in the bed which helped a lot and was really cheap but changing to the factory air springs and aftermarket bags sounds is something I've been considering. Those OEM springs MSRP at $1K each so even with a decent discount they are going to be expensive, then you have to add the air system. It might make more sense to get a softer aftermarket spring pack and airbags?

I'm following this thread to see what you come up with. For now I'll just keep running a ballast in the bed. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread