Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clicking with 4wd engaged

chas0218

Reaction score
Truck is a 2022 ram 2500 Bighorn 4x4 with off road package. I'm getting a clicking noise from my front driver's side with the 4wd engage it does it in reverse and forwards. With the wheel straight nothing but as soon as i turn a little up to lock out it clicks. It does it turning both directions. No tire rubbing. It isnt the chucking that you get when the tires are fighting each other. I had that on my old Silvwrado but it's a light clicking sound. Ill try and get a video tomorrow.

Any idea if that's normal? This is my first ram and firat solid front end.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Sounds like an axle shaft u-joint if it changes with steering angle. just a guess without being there lookin at it.
Being a constantly driven axle stub I'd expect it to do it regardless of 4wd or not. Although adding torque to the mix in 4wd may make it worse I suppose.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Lol no, i was in a field with snow and i had to go up a slight incline and with no weight in the rear it was slipping so i had to use 4wd.
Good to know. We get a lot of people coming from half tons with auto 4wd not realizing they shouldn’t put their truck in part time on dry pavement. Sound like that rules out one possibility for your situation.

Christofo

Reaction score
My 22 has a clicking noise in 4WD too, never have hunted it down since its not something I use much

chas0218

Reaction score
My 22 has a clicking noise in 4WD too, never have hunted it down since its not something I use much
Yeah mine is only on the driver side. Now there is a clunking sound but that is the tires fighting each other when turning. The clunk is a normal sound the clicking is not, at least in my experience with independant front suspensions.

kanabram

Reaction score
I experienced the same thing on my 2022 but it went away by itself the next time I put it in 4x4.

kanabram

Reaction score
Any update on your 'clicking' issue? Did it go away on its own?

chas0218

Reaction score
Did not go away, replaced the wheel bearing but still there. I mentioned the u joint but they didn't think it was that. Only happens under load. Might be in the front axle. I'll keep you guys posted with the next steps.

Christofo

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see if they figure it out. I had to use 4wd a couple weekends back and mine still clicks. I use it very rarely and usually only for a few minutes in a pinch. Don't really feel like taking it to the dealer over it.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see if they figure it out. I had to use 4wd a couple weekends back and mine still clicks. I use it very rarely and usually only for a few minutes in a pinch. Don't really feel like taking it to the dealer over it.
But you should, while it's still on a warranty. And it doesn't matter if you use it much or not, some years down the road when you trying to sell it, this could become a deal breaker and you would wish you have had it done

Users who are viewing this thread