Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clicking with 4wd engaged

Ryan6909

Reaction score
S2303000002
Reference this case number. Tell them there is a TSB attached. They should know. They aren’t happy to do it because it’s about a 2k repair.

Ryan6909

Reaction score
It’s should actually become a recall. Not enough people use 4wd. A lot of people probably haven’t experienced it.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
With more than 70k miles my 2020 Ram 2500 doesn’t do this and I use 4wd often on our place (just less than weekly).

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
2 grand for a driveshaft?

Ryan6909

Reaction score
1894. Parts and labor. It’s at the dealer. Warranty covers so who cares.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Need to test this tomorrow, coulda sworn I heard a noise the other day while at the dump. Don’t need 4wd there but it’s a nice lit drive to the “inert” section of the landfill, good place to toss her in 4wd.

if out of warranty, I might reach to these folks

kanabram

Reaction score
I would not have expected the driveshaft to be the culprit. Seems like it would be clicking all of the time as opposed to only when turning left and right. I'll be curious to know if this fixed the problem.

jtljohnson

Reaction score
Did not fix mine. I am putting a drivelinesplus (Indiana) double cardon joint driveshaft on. This after the dealer parts grenaded entire driveline. 4wd actuator, front axle assembly, new front shaft and then t case. All to no avail. My truck is an AEV prospector and the lift with the front shaft spacer puts it out of spec so you need upgraded shaft ( drivelinesplus aftermarket) which they do on all new upfits but not mine Dec 2022 delivery.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Did not fix mine. I am putting a drivelinesplus (Indiana) double cardon joint driveshaft on. This after the dealer parts grenaded entire driveline. 4wd actuator, front axle assembly, new front shaft and then t case. All to no avail. My truck is an AEV prospector and the lift with the front shaft spacer puts it out of spec so you need upgraded shaft ( drivelinesplus aftermarket) which they do on all new upfits but not mine Dec 2022 delivery.
@Lumpskie

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Can you tell me more about your grenaded driveline?

jtljohnson

Reaction score
Sorry just a figure of speech. In the pursuit of resolving the issue they replaced the entire driveline from transfer case forward.

I did install the drivelines plus upgraded front drive shaft and that solved the issue. Not super straight forward install but manageable for most. I doubt the dealer would do it for anyone as you have to drill out /tap the splined stub shaft on the transfer case. There is an option to use the existing snap ring but it’s less robust.

AEV should figure out a program for replacement for those that had oem from driveshafts with prospector upfit. My understanding is now they are using the drivelines plus upgraded front shaft for prospector builds.

I just can’t believe I am one of few with this problem. I would thinks it’s prolific. The angle is too much for the joint and the slip shaft spline is extended too far.

Last edited:

kanabram

Reaction score
Sorry just a figure of speech. In the pursuit of resolving the issue they replaced the entire driveline from transfer case forward.

I did install the drivelines plus upgraded front driver shaft and that solved the issue. Not super straight forward install but manageable for most. I doubt the dealer would do it for anyone you have to drill out /tap the splined stub shaft on the transfer case.

AEV should figure out a program for replacement for those that had oem from driveshafts with prospector unfit. My understanding is now they are using the drivelines plus upgraded shaft.

I just can’t believe I am one of few with this problem. I would thinks it’s prolific. The angle is too much for the joint and the slip shaft spline is extended too far.
The issue is still ongoing for me. I will print this and bring with me the next time I'm in for service.

jtljohnson

Reaction score
The issue is still ongoing for me. I will print this and bring with me the next time I'm in for service.
Do you have an AEV prospector? Or stock? From reading these forums both seem to be having the issue. I can definitely recommend the drivelinesplus upgrade. It solved the problem and is a way more robust build. The double cardon joint on the transfer case side is much stronger and provides more articulation. Somehow the stock one binds and clicks when you are turning and put some strain into the driveline.

kanabram

Reaction score
Mine is a stock Tradesman. I will look into the drivelineplus upgrade. Thanks

Lumpskie

Reaction score

I did install the drivelines plus upgraded front drive shaft and that solved the issue. Not super straight forward install but manageable for most. I doubt the dealer would do it for anyone as you have to drill out /tap the splined stub shaft on the transfer case. There is an option to use the existing snap ring but it’s less robust.

AEV should figure out a program for replacement for those that had oem from driveshafts with prospector upfit. My understanding is now they are using the drivelines plus upgraded front shaft for prospector builds.

I haven't had any clicking in my driveshaft... but I did break a driveshaft (along with my front R&P). I suspected that the slipyoke was extended too far when it happened, because the front suspension was articulated and extended. I'll have to take a look at the splines and see if they look deformed. Got a link to the drivelines plus upgrade? I'd be curious to see if the double cardon design looks like my old Toyota...

Users who are viewing this thread