Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chip shortage and Ordered Truck Priority

BRI7070

Reaction score
Good Evening All,
I have searched but I have failed to find an answer to my question.

Do ordered trucks get chip priority over dealer stock trucks waiting for chips?

I want to know before I order a truck. If it is first come first serve with no priority to ordered truck then I might wait and see what the 2023 may have in store for me.

Thoughts?
TIA
Brian

Wobly

Reaction score
Back in ye olden days of 2021, the higher trim levels were prioritized to get the necessary chips. I don't think it mattered who ordered the truck. That is what led to the level A and B packages.
What that means in 2022, I don't know. Perhaps they are still prioritizing the higher trim levels since they tend to bring in the most money.

jlschwefel

Reaction score
I don't think sold orders vs Dealer stock matters as much as trim level, it seems the higher trims are still prioritized in a way. If you order a Limited you can order any package you want that is available without restrictions, like Night Edition or Blind Spot Monitoring. A lot of these items are available as options on lower trim levels as well. There have been numerous instances of people not being able to order Laramie with Night Edition because that option was not available at the time they ordered, then there being a few weeks where it is available to order again. It is frustrating a lot of people it seems

I think the biggest item that people have been having an issue with is the inability at times to get Power Fold Mirrors on anything below a Limited depending on availability. It seems that when they have stock of Power Fold Mirrors they are pretty much held for higher trim levels.

dynocompe

Reaction score
i think it depends on timing. this isnt facts, just my opinion of what I have noticed watching these pages and the order spread sheet. I think right now sold orders ARE not higher priority then dealers. I think they are building both fairly equal. I say this because right now, they are trying to stock dealer lots for the 22 season. I have seen posts regarding this where dealer orders arrived first. But say in May, yes its quite possible they will give sold orders priority. If you do inventory searches on Rams site, you will see they have more on lots or in transit right now then usual which is to be expected with the begiining of the new year!

jeffn

Reaction score
Good Evening All,
I have searched but I have failed to find an answer to my question.

Do ordered trucks get chip priority over dealer stock trucks waiting for chips?

I want to know before I order a truck. If it is first come first serve with no priority to ordered truck then I might wait and see what the 2023 may have in store for me.

Thoughts?
TIA
Brian
there is no playbook for this. Every manufacturer is making it up as they go along and it doesn’t help that the shortage issues are affecting different components each week. As much as the electronics are an issue, plastics are now emerging as an equally serious category of concern.

We’ll still be living this in 2023, fwiw.

BRI7070

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. My wife and I are looking at this truck as our final truck so we are going to go almost all out with the options.

My issue is if I were to order this truck today and it takes 6 months to receive it and then see what the 2023's are going to have. Don't want to have buyers remorse if I have to wait so long just to see something really cool come out on the 2023.
With this being a wanted and not a needed truck, time is on my side and I can wait if I wanted to. But do I want to????

When to the official rumors about the 2023 start coming out?
Brian

thkbaron

Reaction score
I ordered a level 3 power wagon and it should be here in a few weeks. the 2023 trucks sound like they're going to get a much needed mirror update.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. My wife and I are looking at this truck as our final truck so we are going to go almost all out with the options.

My issue is if I were to order this truck today and it takes 6 months to receive it and then see what the 2023's are going to have. Don't want to have buyers remorse if I have to wait so long just to see something really cool come out on the 2023.
With this being a wanted and not a needed truck, time is on my side and I can wait if I wanted to. But do I want to????

Brian
There have been some spy shots of the '23 models, looks like the main changes are the mirrors and possibly a full digital gauge cluster, no word on any transmission or engine updates, still on the 4th gen body

thkbaron

Reaction score
Yeah if there would have been some engine upgrades I may have held out. I’ll prob get those mirrors though!

kevin588127

Reaction score

Brian
I was facing the similar question. What made me pull the trigger was that I came to the realization that in order to get what I wanted, I was going to have to order. I witnessed several price increases over the last few months and suspect there will be more. The nail in the coffin was that it looked like the only change for 23 was going to be mirrors and a rebel 2500. I ordered a 22 for 10 percent off of MSRP.

If you aren't fussy on options, you could wait and see what the 23s bring. If not impressed, pick up a 22 off the lot at a possible discount after the 23s are announced.

thkbaron

Reaction score
The 2500 rebel kind of pissed me off. They’re doing the same thing to the power wagon as the express did the sport made a cheaper version of it that looked just like it. Granted it won’t have the power wagon goodies but it’s still kind of annoying.

Bighoof

Reaction score
The 2500 rebel kind of pissed me off. They’re doing the same thing to the power wagon as the express did the sport made a cheaper version of it that looked just like it. Granted it won’t have the power wagon goodies but it’s still kind of annoying.
While I completely understand, there are a lot of people, myself included, that would like to buy a Powerwagon but can't due to the lower tow and payload ratings. So this new model fills a void. Sure hope those aren't the new rims because they seem to be pretty nasty and not aggressive like what belongs on these models. They also need to do 35" tires on both models to compete with the Tremor.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Buy a power wagon and toss regular springs in it. Problem solved. Haha. Yeah the wagon has needed 35s stock for a while.

Bighoof

Reaction score
Possibly, but technically you would be illegal because it all goes by the manf sticker. If you were to be in an accident and had changed springs but were over the capacities based on the factory sticker, that would open up a huge can of legal woes.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Yeah we don’t need to open that can of worms again I think I’m spoiled I live in Minnesota because we don’t have all these crazy nitpicky vehicle inspection laws every year. Vic the only time you ever get pulled over and have that check is if you’re doing something totally stupid

Users who are viewing this thread