Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Trailer Wiring Warning

Squinko

Reaction score
I have the same issue many of you have had. On one of my trailers a warning of "Check trailer wiring" pops up intermittently while towing. Everything is working fine and it only does it on the one trailer. After doing a ton of research on here about how to fix it, it seems maybe my trailer plug is the wrong type. The other trailer I pull has a different plug and it works fine with no warnings. I'm thinking that may be it. I can't find anything wrong with the wires on the trailer (ground, loose, frayed, etc.).

I have a 2022 Ram 2500

Take a look at the pics and see if that's what you think it could be.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's making me crazy!!

This is the plug on the truck
A4EF8E81-0AE1-4646-970E-5A2B21AFB31D.jpeg

This is the plug on the trailer that is giving trouble
EEC104DA-2758-4D5A-BA1A-40CAA03F3831.jpeg

This is the plug on a trailer that works great
51BEFDA1-8163-41F8-92CE-091D7F047953.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea the plug is the issue cut it off and put a curt 7 pin on it will be good to go after. The plug in question is the “old style” plug and is known for bad connections

Squinko

Reaction score
I changed to plug out. Now to tow it for awhile. Hope this fixed it. Thanks for the info.

Squinko

Reaction score
Just did about 800 miles with the new plug on. It worked for a while but now it's back. I think it is a loose, cut wire somewhere in the axle tube or brakes. When I get under there and move the wire around it works great for awhile. But as soon as I get on a rough patch of freeway it starts back up again. The trailer lights all work just not the brakes. Time to tear into to it and see what I find. Ugh!

sanda

Reaction score
Just did about 800 miles with the new plug on. It worked for a while but now it's back. I think it is a loose, cut wire somewhere in the axle tube or brakes. When I get under there and move the wire around it works great for awhile. But as soon as I get on a rough patch of freeway it starts back up again. The trailer lights all work just not the brakes. Time to tear into to it and see what I find. Ugh!
I fought this problem for weeks. I finally put all new wire connectors on the trailer wiring and problem fixed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For what its worth just buy some PVC jacketed wire from the local auto supply and run new wire from where it comes off the frame to each brake use shrink tube butt connectors and zip tire the wire on the outside of the axle tube on the back side

sanda

Reaction score
It's not hard to pull new wiring through your axles. With the brush I pull through strapping wire to an axles would never work.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's not hard to pull new wiring through your axles. With the brush I pull through strapping wire to an axles would never work.
Its easy but i would atleast drill the holes bigger and use the thicker PVC jacket wire it will never chafe through

Squinko

Reaction score
I am going to have to run the new wires. Thanks for the suggestions. I was wandering how I could ever get it through the inside of the axle.

While checking the wires inside the hubs, I noticed I lost a seal on one axle. There was axle grease caked all over the break drum and break parts. I cleaned everything up really well and replaced the seal. No more leak but still have the problem. I thought maybe it was grease on the break parts/magnet that was causing a connection issue but it still doing it after being cleaned up.

I will try the new wires and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the suggestions. So frustrating!!

Squinko

Reaction score
I ran the new wires to the brakes today. I pulled the old wires (less than an year old) out of the axle tube and found two different spots on the wires where they had rubbed through the plastic. So it seems that was my problem I couldn't see. Took for a drive and so far so good. No errors!! Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the suggetstions.

Users who are viewing this thread