Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check those chains

Jacob

Reaction score
Good tip. If they are close to the ground twist it around once. Seems obvious but apparently not. Crazy what all can start a fire. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Small item that can save a truck or prevent a huge wildfire.
I was looking at inciweb a few weeks ago and all the fires were here in Texas. Kinda unusual. Now it's new Mexico.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Remember also that if you don't use it you lose it... so no fires no budget... yep some are done on purpose to keep the money flowing , and that's a true story.

I won't drag my chain or let my kids play with fire

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sanda

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing safety chains would cause a fire but i also have not seen any facts proving they can/ cant cause a fire given the exact right situation
Steel dragging down the highway creates sparks. Happens more than you think.

sanda

Reaction score
I bet the millions of people who smoke and flick the butts out the window cause more wildfires….
They cause plenty. I've been known to get their plate number and turn them in.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yes dragging chains down the highway will create sparks. The key word is HIGHWAY. Please tell us what all that combustible / flamable in the middle of highway?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats obvious but how does the tiny chain sparks get all the way to the side of the road with enough heat to start a fire? Im not saying it cant happen, I am just curious if there is any proof on the theory as it seems very far fetched to me

flan

Reaction score
We have on spot chains on our trucks at work. When we’re going down the road one behind another I can see tiny sparks come off the dragging links of mis-adjusted units but they last about a split second and disappear. I’ve seen people say dragging chains create wildfires but unless there is slag dripping off those chains I just don’t see how the tiny spark makes it to the side of the road, let alone stay ignited long enough to make a piece of grass/brush reach its ignition temperature.

sanda

Reaction score
We've had a few instances over the years from dragging chains and starting fires. One truck and trailer left spot fires down hwy 50 until the state patrol got him stopped. Took a few miles. If you haven't lived with this type of draught in a semi-arid area you may not believe it.
Thats obvious but how does the tiny chain sparks get all the way to the side of the road with enough heat to start a fire? Im not saying it cant happen, I am just curious if there is any proof on the theory as it seems very far fetched to me

sanda

Reaction score

RichOutlaw

Reaction score
It does all the time. With years of drought, it doesn't take much to start a fire.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread