Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAT Scale Weigh-in Heavier Than Curb Weight?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone else just hook up the trailer and drive? I figure if my trailer can't handle the weight neither can the truck. Of course i don't pull a 5th wheel.

All the time, but knowing your approx weight for me has nothing to do on whether or not the truck or trailer can handle it... I just like to know, and like to set my tire pressure where it should be for the best performance.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does anyone else just hook up the trailer and drive? I figure if my trailer can't handle the weight neither can the truck. Of course i don't pull a 5th wheel.
I Always do but when you are pushing the legal limits it is nice to know where you stand incase you get pulled over

thecastle

Reaction score
I rarely weigh before I tow, its time consuming, but I have a baseline of information and my vehicles have big margins in terms of weight. I don't try to fit the last ounce on my truck or beyond. When I'm going to the middle of no-where, I measure to make sure I don't contribute to an unexpected break down, and weight in.

I'd say most people don't weigh at all, one of my customers is a trailer manufacturer. They say their customers attitudes are if it fits, it ships. Judging by the number of F-150's I've seen with trailers loaded with stone and the trailer wheels tilted in, or flat..... I'd say its true. Lol, I've seen people in toyota tundra's towing 40ft 5th wheels at 85mph on i-10 (recently). I guess a tundra can tow a space shuttle, it can tow any 5th wheel... with airbags of course.... Anyway, the chances when you're overloaded of something breaking go way up, and if the nearest ram dealer is 150miles one way, then you don't want a break down. Or a ticket, but again its not something really enforced, I've never seen any personal vehicle pulled over for unsecured loads or being overweight. Commercial vehicles occasionally, and how many dump trucks don't pull their cover over the bed when loaded with gravel. My windshield knows its rare...

What I'm saying is what you should do, and what people actually do aren't always the same thing. The only way to know you're towing with the correct weights and distribution of weights is to weigh everything. Its what any individual should do to ensure the best towing experience. Work with actual measured data instead of guesses. So you don't end up posting about how your shocks only lasted 20K miles, or those damn "china bomb" tires blew out. So much of these problems are preventable with not-overloading, towing level, proper tire inflation, verifying weights, and etc.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Does anyone else just hook up the trailer and drive?
Yup, almost every time.

If I have placards on the doors and I think I'm pushing the limits, I'll go find a scale. Better than the DOT scales finding me.

If I'm hauling personal, I rarely scale unless it's required, like hauling scrap iron to the scrap yard or hauling bulk items like gravel or something. But as much as I hate to admit it, I've been doing this for a LONG time.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Grateful Dad's truck is a 2021 Crew Cab, Box Delete, 4x4, short bed, which lists with the 6.4 as having a GVWR of 9900lbs/10000lbs depending. So his truck weighed in at 9300lbs with trailer attached. I'm assuming as he doesn't say that is without passengers, and potentially without a full tank. That leaves him 600-700lbs of payload. 2 CPAP adults and a dog away from a an arby's meal to being overweight. Your trailer being 2K heavier will mean you will have an additional 150-200lbs of pin weight, and assuming your truck weighs about the same about 400-500lbs of payload. Not much margin, and basically just 2 people, or 1 person with the additional of a steel bumper. This also assumes your hitch weighs the same and etc, etc, etc. It should work but its going to be marginal, and no tool boxes in the truck.
That ticket is after fueling up and includes my entire family of 5 in the truck with all the “stuff” my wife and 3 girls bring. Trucks GVWR is 10k and has the 6’4” bed, not sure where you’re getting box delete.

I have 700 lbs of payload remaining, not to mention a tick over 1,300lbs until maxing out the rear axle.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just had mine weighed. Shock tunning company asked for the weights.
Shes heavier than what my registration says. Truck empty, no one in it. Almost full tank of gas.
Front: 4280
Rear: 3080
Total: 7360

Last edited:

chas0218

Reaction score
Yup, almost every time.

If I have placards on the doors and I think I'm pushing the limits, I'll go find a scale. Better than the DOT scales finding me.

If I'm hauling personal, I rarely scale unless it's required, like hauling scrap iron to the scrap yard or hauling bulk items like gravel or something. But as much as I hate to admit it, I've been doing this for a LONG time.
I'm the keep loading, keep loading, tires aren't quite squished, yup we're good, wait nope a little on the truck, there we're good.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I'm the keep loading, keep loading, tires aren't quite squished, yup we're good, wait nope a little on the truck, there we're good.
Knew this crazy old pallet guy years ago who loaded his truck with pallets sky high til the mud flaps touched the ground. that’s how he knew it was full. The mud flaps were like half way worn down haha.

Jacob

Reaction score
Hauled in some scrap today and the truck weighed 8260 after unloading. 2019 2500 diesel crew cab short bed. That's me in it, half tank of fuel. Winch, offroad tires, steps, normal stuff in the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread