Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay sometimes doesn't work when plugged in

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
Noticed a few time in the last couple weeks that when I start the truck CarPlay will not be active while phone ( 8plus) is plugged in. If I unplug phone and try to connect Bluetooth it won't let it connect because the USB is plugged in ( when it's not). Will try to plug usb into either of the ports, let it sit for awhile, and turn off truck but still doesn't work. Then turn truck off for a couple minutes and restart and all is well. Tried two different cables and same issue. Noticed happening a lot more last couple weeks. Really annoying since I am in my truck two weeks at a time and drive about 3,000 miles a week. If I can't find a issue or a needed update, will have to spend some $$$$ to completely upgrade to a aftermarket system that works. 8.4 is a nice sounding system, but after spending 53,000$ on a truck I shouldn't be having these issues.
2020 tradesman with just over 54,000 miles ( All me )

naplesbill

Reaction score
This used to happen to me with Android Auto. I have not had this happen with CarPlay yet.

In Android I would have to force kill the Android Auto app and it would work after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeXM

Reaction score
Never had a single issue with Android auto. Must be implementation specific.

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
Noticed a few time in the last couple weeks that when I start the truck CarPlay will not be active while phone ( 8plus) is plugged in. If I unplug phone and try to connect Bluetooth it won't let it connect because the USB is plugged in ( when it's not). Will try to plug usb into either of the ports, let it sit for awhile, and turn off truck but still doesn't work. Then turn truck off for a couple minutes and restart and all is well. Tried two different cables and same issue. Noticed happening a lot more last couple weeks. Really annoying since I am in my truck two weeks at a time and drive about 3,000 miles a week. If I can't find a issue or a needed update, will have to spend some $$$$ to completely upgrade to a aftermarket system that works. 8.4 is a nice sounding system, but after spending 53,000$ on a truck I shouldn't be having these issues.
2020 tradesman with just over 54,000 miles ( All me )
This is happening to me too. I only have 6400 miles…. I am using Apple Car Play. I can have the USB plugged in and it says, “No Device Found”???

Limey

Reaction score
Happened to me once about 2 months ago. Has been OK ever since.
Probably just jinxed it! :confused:

moparfan06

Reaction score
Is your phone unlocked when you start the truck? I've found that if my lock screen is active, then the truck doesn't detect that I've plugged in the phone. If the lock screen isn't active, then CarPlay works right away.

Burton12387

Reaction score
I have had similar issues. I’ve had it happen less frequently if I let the system finish booting up before I plug in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BroKV

Reaction score
I hate that my Apple Music skips while using CarPlay. Tried different cables, different phones, same outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ram911

Reaction score
Happened to me a couple days ago. I fixed it by holding the power button on the radio for at least 10 sec, released it the radio rebooted then worked fine.

8.4 Nav

davidhaile

Reaction score
Happened to me a couple days ago. I fixed it by holding the power button on the radio for at least 10 sec, released it the radio rebooted then worked fine.

8.4 Nav
That's a great idea. I'll try it. I've had my 2022 2500 4x4 Cummins for a month (5000 miles so far). Uconnect 8.4's Apple AirPlay support isn't ready to be released. Sometimes it is soo slow that it is difficult to use. I definitely will not be paying the monthly service fee at the end of the evaluation period.

Users who are viewing this thread