Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo weight 2500

powerhaulic

Reaction score
I am surprised the cargo weight is so low (2520) on the 2500, yet the combined weight is fine (27000).
We tow a fifth wheel (16400) pin 2900# combined 24040 at last scale.
I know I should have a 3500 and probably will, but the leading arm on full air of the 2500 really interests me. Rather than air assist of the 3500.
i'm thinking the unloaded ride quality would be much better.
Thoughts?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Which trim are you talking about?

@hutchman has a payload of 3307# on his 2500 Tradesman.

powerhaulic

Reaction score
I was using the tow chart for crew short box.
I would get a Laramie sport

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ah... you are talking about a diesel.
Diesel engines chew into payload quite a bit.

Your payload on a Laramie will be quite lower than 2520.

This Limited I posted over here 2500 LIMITED Diesel has a payload of 1950#
A Laramie Sport may be marginally better, but that is the ballpark you are looking at for a 2500 Diesel.

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Ah... you are talking about a diesel.
Diesel engines chew into payload quite a bit.

Your payload on a Laramie will be quite lower than 2520.

This Limited I posted over here 2500 LIMITED Diesel has a payload of 1950#
A Laramie Sport may be marginally better, but that is the ballpark you are looking at for a 2500 Diesel.
Crazy low numbers in my opinion

Don-T

Reaction score
Crazy low numbers in my opinion
Unfortunately that is the way it works. A 2500 Ram is a class 2 truck, which can’t have a GVW over 10,000 pounds. Because of the Diesel engine the truck is going to weigh 8,000 pounds plus or minus a bit. The payload is the GVW minus the curb weight so you are stuck with about 2,000 payload. If you need more payload you either have to get a gas engine or go to a 3500, class 3 which can go as high as 14,000 pounds GVW. I would like to see the feds change the laws due the the advances in the near trucks but I don’t imagine that will happen.

Of course everyone knows the 2500 is physically capable of carrying much more weight than the door sticker shows, just not leagally. Whether or not you need to be within the law is open to discussion.

Last edited:

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is the way it works. A 2500 Ram is a class 2 truck, which can’t have a GVW over 10,000 pounds. Because of the Diesel engine the truck is going to weigh 8,000 pounds plus or minus a bit. The payload is the GVW minus the curb weight so you are stuck with about 2,000 payload. If you need more payload you either have to get a gas engine or go to a 3500, class 3 which can go as high as 14,000 pounds GVW. I would like to see the feds change the laws due the the advances in the near trucks but I don’t imagine that will happen.

Of course everyone knows the 2500 is physically capable of carrying much more weight than the door sticker shows, just not leagally. Whether or not you need to be within the law is open to discussion.
Understood, and I agree.
Currently towing with 2500, and air bags added. i only run 20-25psi in the bags to make bridge joints nicer.

Thats one of the reasons the 2500 interests me so much, the four link rear and air suspension.
I'm thinking you could have a nice supple ride empty, and still carry the weight when towing. (but it sucks not being able to get the HO in 2500) I really don't care about the legality, just the capability.
But then i am spoiled now by having 1000lbft of torque in my Duramax and Derringer combo.
How good is the trans in the std. Cummins combo? Will it live long term towing our rig? 16400# and 2900 pin traveling weight last scale.

The newest thought is a Megacab 3500, as the overall length and wheelbase is the same as the 2020 GM crew short box...............
But getting it thru drive-thrus, and car washes will be difficult at best.....lol

Heckyl

Reaction score
A 2500 is very very easy to max out with the Cummins. The Hemi does help with payload on a 2500, but it doesn’t pull a heavy load nearly as well as the Cummins. Most everyone on this forum has bought, ordered, or in the market for a new Ram hd truck. It is interesting to me to see how many different variations of trucks people have bought or ordered that to them, is the PERFECT truck. I know that I could never haul / tow anything that was at max, or over max weight for my truck. When I’m on the road I want to be happy and chilled.... not constantly worrying that I’m maxed out or over max weight. Because if you over grossed and get into an accident you will very possibly get sued for everything you own... because if you are over grossed, you are considered negligent, which is an attorney’s wet dream.

Don-T

Reaction score
Understood, and I agree.
Currently towing with 2500, and air bags added. i only run 20-25psi in the bags to make bridge joints nicer.

Thats one of the reasons the 2500 interests me so much, the four link rear and air suspension.
I'm thinking you could have a nice supple ride empty, and still carry the weight when towing. (but it sucks not being able to get the HO in 2500) I really don't care about the legality, just the capability.
But then i am spoiled now by having 1000lbft of torque in my Duramax and Derringer combo.
How good is the trans in the std. Cummins combo? Will it live long term towing our rig? 16400# and 2900 pin traveling weight last scale.

The newest thought is a Megacab 3500, as the overall length and wheelbase is the same as the 2020 GM crew short box...............
But getting it thru drive-thrus, and car washes will be difficult at best.....lol
I don’t think you will notice much in the way of handling issues being a bit overloaded. If you go way over you will. I have a 6.4 3500 now and I am replacing it with a 6.7 3500. I was well within the payload rating but close to the max trailer rating with the gas engine. The new 6.7 will be close, if not a but over, with the 6.7 3500 but well within the trailer rating. My 5th wheel weighs 15,300 pounds and has a pin weight of 3,400 pounds. I also use a 40 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed.

As far as the transmission, they hold up fine as long as the engine is stock. If the engine is tuned and especially if you tow with it the clutches in the torque converter and transmission are not going to last. You would have to tune or build the transmission for it to last.

Users who are viewing this thread