Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capacity/payload

longhaul

Reaction score
Max towing is GCWR minus the curb weight of the truck. Keep in mind that anything you put in the truck also subtracts from your max towing, you, the weight of your hitch, your lunch, etc. etc.
You're probably better off starting a thread with all the specs of your truck, what you intend to use the trailer for, if you have a CDL etc... You're likely to get better answers that way than just hijacking another thread.
You can also put truck specs in your signature so it'll always be there, even if it's just the basics i.e. 2500/3500, 6.4/6.7, SRW/DRW.....
But by your method, that would mean 32710 - 23000 = 9710 lbs of curb weight. That can't be right as the payload of 3825 would indicate 12300-3825= a curb weight of 8475. 9710 + 3825 payload would be 13,535. So although your first statement would seem correct, the numbers don't add up that way.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
But by your method, that would mean 32710 - 23000 = 9710 lbs of curb weight. That can't be right as the payload of 3825 would indicate 12300-3825= a curb weight of 8475. 9710 + 3825 payload would be 13,535. So although your first statement would seem correct, the numbers don't add up that way.
Sometimes the manufacturers include a set amount for hitch weight, a single driver and possibly the commercial safety kit. Other times they will include the options which are included on a certain percentage of the trucks that are built.

It can be messy... I would recommend using the lookup tables for your configuration(model, engine, trans, gearing, cab, bed length, SRW/DRW) to get your GCWR and then start calculating your numbers from that. Be sure to use the payload from your door jamb and not from a lookup table, or better yet subtract a weigh slip from the GVWR in your door jamb.

longhaul

Reaction score
Sometimes the manufacturers include a set amount for hitch weight, a single driver and possibly the commercial safety kit. Other times they will include the options which are included on a certain percentage of the trucks that are built.

It can be messy... I would recommend using the lookup tables for your configuration(model, engine, trans, gearing, cab, bed length, SRW/DRW) to get your GCWR and then start calculating your numbers from that. Be sure to use the payload from your door jamb and not from a lookup table, or better yet subtract a weigh slip from the GVWR in your door jamb.
The numbers I included are all from the door jamb and the Ram website when entering in my specific VIN, not from general tables.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The Ram towing guide PDF lists the weights already accounted for. I believe it's 150lb driver, 150lb hitch, full fuel, etc.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
The numbers I included are all from the door jamb and the Ram website when entering in my specific VIN, not from general tables.
At one point, the VIN lookup utility was wildly inaccurate, then it was accurate, it may be inaccurate again...I don't know.
I stand by what I said, find the GCWR and then go off of the stickers on your truck and math the rest of it out.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
The Ram towing guide PDF lists the weights already accounted for. I believe it's 150lb driver, 150lb hitch, full fuel, etc.
150 lb driver? Not since the 3rd grade…

I go with the door jamb. I was told here that I could calculate it differently using the sum of both axle weight ratings as my total capacity starting point - which I understand, but don’t do.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
Does anyone know when I should be able to key my Vin (3C63RRML0NG339301) into the Ram Towing Capacity Guide? I've keyed several in from the tracking spreadsheet and get mixed results. Most provide the capabilities, but several return "No VIN data available" message. Just curious if anyone noticed this?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when I should be able to key my Vin (3C63RRML0NG339301) into the Ram Towing Capacity Guide? I've keyed several in from the tracking spreadsheet and get mixed results. Most provide the capabilities, but several return "No VIN data available" message. Just curious if anyone noticed this?

Pretty typical it's hit or miss, even for the same VIN over time.

If I had to guess, I'd say their web code and back end DB access/timing sucks.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
Thank You Sir! Will keep checking periodically to see if it works. I really just want to compare my new 2022 Mega to my 2018 Mega. Just curious what the difference is.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank You Sir! Will keep checking periodically to see if it works. I really just want to compare my new 2022 Mega to my 2018 Mega. Just curious what the difference is.

Was the 2018 an HO?

The Aisin and xfr case add about 250lbs, subtracted from payload. Same for the air ride, subtracted from payload.

That and any difference in options (incl. wheels) is going to + or - the payload.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
Was the 2018 an HO?

The Aisin and xfr case add about 250lbs, subtracted from payload. Same for the air ride, subtracted from payload.

That and any difference in options (incl. wheels) is going to + or - the payload.
Yes it was HO. It had Air-lift 500 as opposed to factory air. Payload was 5,349 from factory with 24,800 lbs tow capacity. I know the tow capacity should be significantly higher but wasn't sure on payload.

gnyland

Reaction score
This is so depressing, realizing that I thought I was getting a towing beast in buying a 2500 RAM HD with the diesel only to learn after it's too late that it has no real payload or towing capacity.
Such a bummer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is so depressing, realizing that I thought I was getting a towing beast in buying a 2500 RAM HD with the diesel only to learn after it's too late that it has no real payload or towing capacity.
Such a bummer.
I dont know why you say no towing capacity mine is good for 19k on paper and it has hauled 20k no issue

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Such a bummer.

Capacity's are pretty clear and accurate (for base models) in the Ram towing guide PDF's. Not so much on the marketing web info...

Also running VIN on a similar trim truck should show the actual payload and tow capacities.

IOW, have to do the research like anything else one spends hard earned money on.

Users who are viewing this thread