Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Spent the week at Pueblo Lake State Park in Colorado.

No pics to post right now, maybe when I recover.

A week of boating and playing in 100F weather is relaxing and tiring at the same time...

Yes, that was some little heatwave last week. Whew!
Lake Pueblo = Someday for us. It will need to cool off some. I miss my all-night catfishing time.

ckreef

Reaction score
Mountain View Campground, Hiawassee GA. Got a slide topper installed Saturday morning at my dealer in Acworth, GA. With a last minute reservation Louie and PJ the owners of Mountain View Campground were able to squeeze us in for 5 nights. Then a reservation canceled at the last minute and we ended up in one of the best sites in the campground.

Here is the view from under our awning and a picture of our campsite.

theview.jpg

thecampsite.jpg

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post these but figured folks here may be interested. This was posted on a trail group I'm in on Facebook. This happened near Lake City, CO about 2 days ago. Everyone was ok but this maybe a cautionary tale about what kind of vehicle can make it down what kind of trails. Rollover 1.jpgRollover 2.jpgRollover 3.jpg

Eatonpcat

Reaction score

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been following this on many different forums. Seems this is a popular place for vehicles of all shapes and makes to take a knap.

Seems that people get scared of the edge and try to hug the passenger side and crawl up the inside ledge and flip.

As many people who have made it in a full size have rolled over in a jeep.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Speaking from my personal experience on those trails. Some of them just aren't safe or even meant for anything wider/longer than a wrangler. I have seen a few Powerwagons on the Alpine Loop trails and while I admire the nerve, I don't want to try it with my truck.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking from my personal experience on those trails. Some of them just aren't safe or even meant for anything wider/longer than a wrangler. I have seen a few Powerwagons on the Alpine Loop trails and while I admire the nerve, I don't want to try it with my truck.
I had to laugh. The sites I have seen this discussed on are full size sights.

So...it is funny on these sites how many where inadvertently writing this is only for jeeps. Then the members reminded them they are on a full size site and proceeded to show them all the full sizes that made it and the jeeps that didn't

I have no experience here. In PA we have steep cliffs...but usually a tree stops you from going to far

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
That was on Black Bear Pass. Just a flop. A while ago there was a post going around of a girl who rolled her Jeep. It was crazy cuz a guy's dash cam on a lower level caught the jeep rolling by. It was close to taking him out too. I wonder how she is doing. I donated to her gofundme but never heard about her recovery.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
I really enjoy a Saturday or Sunday romp in 4 wheel drive. I always break-out my trusty little guide book and check out the backroads of Colorado for an easy fun run (unless it's wrong. Like Hermit Pass outside of Westcliffe). Anything labeled above that, I won't consider for my full size truck. I like it too much to beat the unholy snot out of it!

Now, my atv is a different story on stepping up to the more difficult trails and free from explanation to the insurance companies if I pull a bone-headed move.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
The aftermath. Rollover aftermath.jpg

I've been all over the Alpine Loop (avoided Black Bear) and I can confirm that some areas just aren't suited to fullsized vehicles, unless the driver is VERY experienced with their rig and the trail. We've seen more than 1 close call with someone in a rented 4 door wrangler. I tow with the truck and then leave it in town while we take the SXS's and ATV's onto the trails.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have done Black bear pass 2X and there is no way a truck should have rolled on it. All driver error. I have done all the trails in the san juans and with the exception of pough keepsie I would do them in my RAM. Of course I like to drink a bit so I normally don't remember too much lol...This is video depicts pretty well how wide black bear pass really is scariest part is at around 14 minutes some hippy chick peeing in the middle of the trail. I see some videos and they make it look narrower than it really is which is why I think people start hugging the sides which results in flop overs.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I have done Black bear pass 2X and there is no way a truck should have rolled on it. All driver error. I have done all the trails in the san juans and with the exception of pough keepsie I would do them in my RAM. Of course I like to drink a bit so I normally don't remember too much lol...This is video depicts pretty well how wide black bear pass really is scariest part is at around 14 minutes some hippy chick peeing in the middle of the trail. I see some videos and they make it look narrower than it really is which is why I think people start hugging the sides which results in flop overs.

Skipped right to the 14 minute mark to see if the girl peeing was hot!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got home from our trip.

Filled the truck with 88 OCT for 3.89 a gallon, got hooked up and began the tow.

As usual, it rained while I was hooking up, sunny on the drive and began to rain as I backed into the site to set up. Situation normal.

Only 7 other sites were reserved and it was a much needed peaceful weekend.

We got all 4 seasons. Spring rain. Summer sun. Fall warmth and SNOW.

Love camping in PA.20220408_135958.jpg20220408_172138.jpg20220408_170543_HDR.jpg20220408_173656.jpg20220409_095707_HDR.jpg20220409_095717.jpg20220409_141054.jpg20220410_110212.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
were ready to go...opening weekend next week, looks like an Easter camping weekend....weather permitting
There is still a 4.5ft tall x 10 ft long pile of snow infront of my trailer so no camping till may for me

Users who are viewing this thread