Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight will be the first trip of the season. Of course, rain is in the forecast.

This will be the maiden voyage of our truck.

392 HEMI and auto trans has to outshine my 488 Magnum and 5 speed Manual.

Anxious to see if the Crew Cab longbed is easy enough to maneuver, or if it will be a bear compared to quad cab shortbed.

We are camping at our local state park. We are not taking the kayaks but will have our bikes and plan to Geocache.

We may even fish, since it is the first day of trout.

We started modernizing the inside of our camper, we are gonna probably squeeze this season and most of next out of it.

I installed new flooring the past 2 nights. and am happy with the results.

Now, just to get through this day at work.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Relaxing by the campfire and finally got some cell service.

Great day today, sunny and warm. Yesterday I got to hook up in the rain but it quit when we got to our site. Tomorrow it is to rain again.

Already can not wait to go again.

The long wheelbase was actually easier to maneuver than the short wheelbase.

I am very happy I chose to go with the 8 foot bed.

The 392 and the 488 have very similar power...the V10 comes on a little sooner, but I feel the HEMI has a flatter curve.

The automatic, well, I remember why I enjoy a stick shift. Much more relaxing to let the auto do its thing...but I forgot how adding throttle makes it downshift very unexpectedly.

Very happy with the upgrade.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like yoy enjoying it! Your comment on SWB vs LWB is interesting. I owned a CCLB 2 years agon and my CCSB now. My SB is noticeably easiier to park in tight spots. I wonder if the wheel cut angle is greater on the Gen 4 vs Gen 2?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2nd Gen definitely turns tighter. But I think that is one of the reasons I feel the longbed was easier.

That and the long wheelbase seems to get the mirrors right where they need be and the trailer ends up being at a better pivot point relative to the front wheels. If that makes sense.

Very anxiously waiting to see what RAM does with their Gas HD in 2022 when the full redesign comes...but i think I just lost interest in getting a Powerwagon...I really like the 8 foot bed.

Now, if RAM would make the Outdoorsman Package I mentioned in the other post...I would buy the perfect truck for my needs.

Camping was a great time. We are heading out again this Thursday for Easter weekend...we are going to take the kids right to the Easter bunny lol.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to have another PW, but the payload is a show stopper for me. I want to be able to tow a large TT and I don't want to be limited by the truck too much.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
We are heading out again tonight. Forecast has changed for the worse, but it should be just fine.

Probably still too cold for kayaks, but we will be biking and geocaching.

The park is having an Easter egg hunt and also a scavenger hunt. We hope to enjoy both.

Anxious to get going and be away for the weekend.

redwinelvr

Reaction score
I would love to have another PW, but the payload is a show stopper for me. I want to be able to tow a large TT and I don't want to be limited by the truck too much.
That was my biggest concern, but since it is just the wife and myself, and we settled on a TT that was only 4500 lbs, i figured the PW would be just fine and I was comfortable letting the Jeep go.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
We had a great trip. Thursday was beautiful and we enjoyed a peaceful evening. Friday was a washout, but we still enjoyed the day and played in the rain some.

Saturday was absolutely beautiful. We attended the scavenger hunt and found almost all the nature items.

Then the Easter egg hunt the park put on was a good time...but muddy.

We then hit quite a few geocaches. The kids had a blast finding the hidden treasure.

On Sunday morning the Easter Bunny was able to find us and hid some eggs for the kids to find along with their baskets of goodies

The RAM towed great, still getting used to the automatic shifts. I put the transmission in 3rd,which was the gear of choice with the Magnum and 5spd manual, and it just chugged along. I know the motor has the balls to stay in 3rd,but it would still drop to 2nd...but not as surprisingly lol.

Still so glad I got the 8 foot bed. It is life changing lol.

Til next time

hellograce

Reaction score
I envy you so much. I also plan to have a road trip and camping with my ram and just try it alone.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Have fun! I pick up my truck this afternoon and head out for a trip tomorrow! We are gonna get rained on over here in Idaho but thats why we have the trailer! Can't wait to tow with the new rig

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Heading out Friday after work/school for our labor day weekend trip.

Going to go through the Central Mountains of PA. Our first trip to this state park...only 12 sites...will hopefully be very relaxing.

Anyone else going for the holiday weekend?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Enjoy! Hopefully going to be dodging a hurricane...

slimchance

Reaction score
leaving tomorrow morning for our first trip with the new trk and 5th whl ..... only towed it home, 50 miles, so far .... could thread a needle with a TT but the 5er is a real challenge to back up ..... the 8' bed is nice and almost full .... this trip is for CAS at the Ickesburg Sportsmen (Perry County Regulators.com) .... 4 days of dry camping .... watched a guy get his 5er stuck at the gas pumps last year, hope i do better, a friendly truck driver had to get him unstuck ... it like sitting at a boat ramp hehehehehe .... just me and wife and doodle dog and guns

jpaeth

Reaction score
Headed up to Lake Cascade with the camper and some friends and going to see how bad I can make wakeboarding look haha

slimchance

Reaction score
back last nite ... 8' bed makes towing and packing EASY ... big difference (improvement) towing the 5er .... this Ram did not even know it was behind the trk .... on turns just stay wide like you would with a longer TT .... the dirt road uphill at the range, i guess around 60% grade for 150 yds was NO problem, just locked in 4 whl hi and first gear and crawled up at 2500 rpm .... the other 5ers stayed at the bottom camping area and were surprised i had NO problems ... coming down in a downpour was just drag the trailer brakes and 1st gear ...... 4 days dry camping was just an hour in morning while making breakfast and an hour in the evening at supper and voltage did not go below 12.4v ... VERY happy with both the Ram and the Cougar .... now my match was another thing ... crimp failure on one bullet cost me 45 seconds and the difference between 10th place overall and 17 place .... started raining about an hour after the match results were posted ... now begins the fun part, backing it into the parking area beside my barn

Users who are viewing this thread