Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a 3/4 ton truck this weekend and need some advice

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That should get you into a 2017 or 2018 well under 100K miles if you're not hung up on finding a Limited or Laramie.

tchur1

Reaction score
Thanks... a 3500 is cool but since this is a daily driver I would assume a 2500 would ride better. Maybe I am wrong?
I daily my 3500 and find the ride perfectly fine. It won’t ride like your 1500 does but it’s totally comfortable. I test drove both 2500s and 3500s before ordering mine and didn’t think the difference between the two was that drastic. All that said, with your desired use case a 2500 w/ hemi is a really good option. You can probably get into a tradesmen or lightly equipped big horn for about 55k new.

if you really want the Cummins then a 2018 ish should be findable with way less then 100k miles unless you’re looking at loaded trucks. The late 4th gen trucks are VERY similar to the 2019+ trucks. The 6.7 is very reliable and there seem to be fewer issues with the 68rfe then there were on the early 4th gens. Not bulletproof but better. That would be another reason to look 3500 would be to find one with an AISIN. AISIN + Cummins is a tough combo to beat.
First of all the Cummins is a great engine. IMHO the best diesel you can get in an HD truck. That said, I have to ask why anybody gets the diesel in a 3/4 ton truck. You just lose way too much payload and can not actually use the capability of the diesel. If I needed the diesel, and let's be clear most who buy it don.t actually NEED it, I would get a 3500. I have the 6.4 Hemi in my 2500 MegaCab with 4.10 rear end. It tows my almost 9000 pound 30' Airstream with zero problems. I have NEVER lacked for power! The added cost of the Cummings (around 10k) just can not be justified. Then you consider the cost of DEF and all the regen issues (very expensive). Now, if you need to tow heavy and often then yes the Cummins is the way to go. But too often a guy will go with the diesel because thats what the dealer has on his lot. Or his buddies tell him it's not a real truck unless it has a diesel. Now I would say it's your money and you should buy what you want. Just be aware of what you actual options are. Plus, with the cost of these trucks, why settle for what the dealer has? Order it and get EXACTLY what you want. Thats what I did and I am so happy I did that. Also, the 2500 with the Hemi and air suspension makes for a great ride, especially for a daily driver. And the 4.10 rear end really makes it pop off the line. Good luck with whichever way you go.
I totally understand the challenge in justifying the cost of the Cummins if you don’t need it but saying Def is expensive is a stretch IMO. It’s like $7 a jug and a tank lasts 2k miles.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hello! I did post a little in the 4th Generation RAM HD General Discussion. Because this was a welcome thread, I didn't want to clog it with questions. I definitely need to upgrade to a 2500 (3500 is overkill) since I'm over my payload capacity on my 1500 Hemi once I put my family in the truck. Just a toy hauler travel trailer (non-5th wheel).
Pushing a 1500 hard on payload is a thing... It's hard to put a price on the peace of mind moving from 1400 lbs of payload to 3K lbs of payload (6.4 Hemi). Instead of an empty bed, I load it up now.

Reactions: jak

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Like Brutal said. Engine mat have 100K and is fine.
But the rest of the truck also has 100K on it and is a bigger wear issue.

And the 6.4 hemi with 4.10 gears is no slouch at pulling. I have 35's on my PW and no regear. I pulled a 6K trailer and the truck fully loaded up a 11% grade hill with no lack of power. Pulled the same setup up a 6% grade and had enough power to pass people going up the hill.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I daily my 3500 and find the ride perfectly fine. It won’t ride like your 1500 does but it’s totally comfortable. I test drove both 2500s and 3500s before ordering mine and didn’t think the difference between the two was that drastic. All that said, with your desired use case a 2500 w/ hemi is a really good option. You can probably get into a tradesmen or lightly equipped big horn for about 55k new.

if you really want the Cummins then a 2018 ish should be findable with way less then 100k miles unless you’re looking at loaded trucks. The late 4th gen trucks are VERY similar to the 2019+ trucks. The 6.7 is very reliable and there seem to be fewer issues with the 68rfe then there were on the early 4th gens. Not bulletproof but better. That would be another reason to look 3500 would be to find one with an AISIN. AISIN + Cummins is a tough combo to beat.

I totally understand the challenge in justifying the cost of the Cummins if you don’t need it but saying Def is expensive is a stretch IMO. It’s like $7 a jug and a tank lasts 2k miles.
Not so much the DEF, which has gone up in price and there have been shortages. It's the regeneration issues that you can get unless drive enough to get it fully up to temp to complete the burn off. However if you just drive around town or just for short periods of time and if you let the truck just sit for awhile, you could incur high repair costs. And it's not the diesel engine itself, it's those emmisions system that are a problem.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to take a serious look at a 2015 Laramie and a 2016 Laramie (both 2500's) tomorrow. Same price, The 2015 has 122k miles and the 2016 has 108k. The 2015 has an AEV Pro Comp lift kit with 27's... the 2016 is basically stock but has the advantage of the 2016 upgrades (parking sensors on the front, etc.). Both being bought from 2 different dealerships. Both look like they are in excellent condition.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
So... I had the dealer take a picture under one of the trucks (the one with the lift kit) and there is some rust on the undercarriage. This may be completely normal and nothing to worry about but I would love your thoughts!! It has 122k miles on it. image000000.JPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That surface rust seems pretty typical on the newer trucks unless there's some preventive maintenance or coatings applied.

My concern would be the state of those antisway bushings representing other maintenance items that haven't been properly attended to.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
That surface rust seems pretty typical on the newer trucks unless there's some preventive maintenance or coatings applied.

My concern would be the state of those antisway bushings representing other maintenance items that haven't been properly attended to.

Yikes! Good spot. I totally agree... What else could be neglected or missed in the inspection? I know they were mainly concerned with the mechanics of the engine and such, but you would think this would stick out like a sore thumb at least a little bit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That is not rust to worry about, and the sway bar links the piece that looks cracked is just hard plastic and has no real affect on the link as long as there is no play i would not be concerned.

The AEV cover on the diff is a nice sign that it was cared for in my mind. I would not worry about this truck but it would benefit from a good undercoating like fluid film to prevent more rusting

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
That is not rust to worry about, and the sway bar links the piece that looks cracked is just hard plastic and has no real affect on the link as long as there is no play i would not be concerned.

The AEV cover on the diff is a nice sign that it was cared for in my mind. I would not worry about this truck but it would benefit from a good undercoating like fluid film to prevent more rusting
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I was thinking the same but I'm not an expert in any way.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
So... this was not the truck I ended up picking up after test driving several trucks yesterday. I'm most likely picking up a 2016 RAM 2500 with 103k miles on it this week. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
Working out the numbers on this 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie with 104k miles. It's in really really nice shape from what I could see and appears to have been well taken care of. We'll see how it all comes together and I don't get screwed somewhere by the dealership. So far I've been battling them on a couple of unnecessary add on's.

Attachments

• Ram truck.jpg
    Ram truck.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread