Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulletproof vs B&W

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Good evening.

Anybody out there had both the bulletproof hitch and the b&w?

I have the 8” drop bulletproof and I’m looking at switching to the 7” drop b&w

Main reasons are the bulletproof is only adjustable in 2” increments and it is very long. i mean Out behind the truck, not hangy downy. Sticks out a long way, i scrape often.

Pros: It’s super strong and well made, the powder coat is amazing on it. I’m confident the b&w isn’t stronger than it.

The b&w looks like it hangs straight down and not far out and it is adjustable in 1” increments.

What are y’all’s opinions? I don’t know if I need another $350 hitch but i think I’d be happier with the b&w.

image.jpg

jetrinka

Reaction score
I had the 8" drop Bulletproof on my last truck and have the 7" drop B&W for this truck. I ran into the same frustration as you as far as adjustment increments. The B&W I like much better and it doesn't hang as low - pulls my little boat trailer, utility trailer, and little TT just fine. Rated for more than my PW is rated so I'm good to go.

The Bulletproof certainly has the sexy factor IMO but unless I got a different truck and needed to tow an insanely huge bumper pull I wouldn't consider another one. I think that is the only advantage the Bulletproof has is the pure beef factor.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I had the 8" drop Bulletproof on my last truck and have the 7" drop B&W for this truck. I ran into the same frustration as you as far as adjustment increments. The B&W I like much better and it doesn't hang as low - pulls my little boat trailer, utility trailer, and little TT just fine. Rated for more than my PW is rated so I'm good to go.

The Bulletproof certainly has the sexy factor IMO but unless I got a different truck and needed to tow an insanely huge bumper pull I wouldn't consider another one. I think that is the only advantage the Bulletproof has is the pure beef factor.
Thanks a lot for the input. Could you show me how far your outie sticks out?

The adjustment is annoying but I can deal with a slightly off level trailer. The departure angle is horrible with how far out it sticks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the input. Could you show me how far your outie sticks out?

The adjustment is annoying but I can deal with a slightly off level trailer. The departure angle is horrible with how far out it sticks
Just some food for thought…

any machine shop could drill inbeween holes for more adjustment and a second pin hole to push the hitch in closer to the truck and charge almost nothing to do it….

My curt is built almost the same as the BP but is 1” adjustable and has 2 pin holes for the hitch pin to change stick out and rated for 20k so its not like you will hurt the integrity of the hitch

2029F9DC-B8FA-4BAD-91D5-83653FC80260.jpeg

jetrinka

Reaction score
Just some food for thought…

any machine shop could drill inbeween holes for more adjustment and a second pin hole to push the hitch in closer to the truck and charge almost nothing to do it….

My curt is built almost the same as the BP but is 1” adjustable and has 2 pin holes for the hitch pin to change stick out and rated for 20k so its not like you will hurt the integrity of the hitch

View attachment 46578
Grease your balls! Lol

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
I had the bulletproof for one day. I didn’t like how far it stuck out. I replaced it with the B&W which I love. It sticks out much less and when I am not using it I can tuck the balls up behind (think Buffalo Bill style)so you just have that flat piece. No more hitting my shins! If you do switch I can’t imagine you not being glad you did.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I had the bulletproof for one day. I didn’t like how far it stuck out. I replaced it with the B&W which I love. It sticks out much less and when I am not using it I can tuck the balls up behind (think Buffalo Bill style)so you just have that flat piece. No more hitting my shins! If you do switch I can’t imagine you not being glad you did.
you had me at tuck the balls up behind

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thanks dudes. I’m gonna order the 7” b&w

Fwiw the bulletproof is rated 22,000 lb (2-5/16 ball) and the b&w is 14,500 (unspecified ball) the bulletproof weighs 14 lb more

I may hang onto the bulletproof hitch in case I ever have to pull a bigger trailer hit my trailer is 9900 gvwr

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats one thing i never understood if you are going to take the time to flip the balls why not just remove the hitch?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Lol mine gets tucked into my drivers Rambox nice and warm. I like to spoil my balls

Users who are viewing this thread