Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bug Deflector

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I just installed the mopar matte black deflector on my 2020 3500. I was undecided if I wanted one, kinda have mixed feelings about the look, but noticed a huge improvement on windshield rock chips after installing one on my 4runner so decided to give it a shot. The install looks intimidating but pretty easy if you just follow the instructions.. took about 30 min total. Fits good, I am really happy with the look of it. Dont care for the visible screws on the leading edge but I'll live with it.
dd28e72bce28ac5d47660ca175a80208.jpg
209227a39a9b9fb6a905c7b3a184cc71.jpg
93baa82cd9c99090bf5bbfe699d1328e.jpg
8ed4bc8695cf75f7eaee965029de71a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Looks nice, fits nice. Looks like it has more coverage than the others. I don't see the leading edge screws in your pics, but I too would not like that. My AVS (same as Weathertech) fasteners are all under the hood.

jadmt

Reaction score
I just installed the mopar matte black deflector on my 2020 3500. I was undecided if I wanted one, kinda have mixed feelings about the look, but noticed a huge improvement on windshield rock chips after installing one on my 4runner so decided to give it a shot. The install looks intimidating but pretty easy if you just follow the instructions.. took about 30 min total. Fits good, I am really happy with the look of it. Dont care for the visible screws on the leading edge but I'll live with it.
dd28e72bce28ac5d47660ca175a80208.jpg
209227a39a9b9fb6a905c7b3a184cc71.jpg
93baa82cd9c99090bf5bbfe699d1328e.jpg
8ed4bc8695cf75f7eaee965029de71a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I removed my Mopar one after a a couple of long road trips. The visible screws bugged the heck out of me. also meeting semi's on two lane roads it caused much more hood lift than without it and had as many stones hitting the windshield with it as without it. I was worried that the clips would mar the paint but the little 3M strips do their job and luckily no paint damage

Last edited:

jadmt

Reaction score
Looks nice, fits nice. Looks like it has more coverage than the others. I don't see the leading edge screws in your pics, but I too would not like that. My AVS (same as Weathertech) fasteners are all under the hood.
photos do a good job of hiding them but they are visible to me in the photos and way worse in person.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I removed my Mopar one after a a couple of long road trips. The visible screws bugged the heck out of me. also meeting semi's on two lane roads it caused much more hood lift than without it and had as many stones hitting the windshield with it as without it.
Be careful what you say about bug deflectors ‘round here o_O

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My null hypthosis is that bug deflectors do not work.

Maybe someone can install half of one on the passenger side and leave the drivers side open. Once per week that person could count and publish the number of bugs on the passenger side and drivers side. Small rocks, even less likely - they are so dense compared to a bug which is super lightweight with much surface area. Bugs are designed to fly, rocks are not.

Prove me wrong HD Ram forum members - I would love to see the results! Maybe even a few testers in different parts of the country as further validation.
I’m with you on this one. were you around for the first few pages of this thread?

John Jensen

Reaction score
My null hypthosis is that bug deflectors do not work.

Maybe someone can install half of one on the passenger side and leave the drivers side open. Once per week that person could count and publish the number of bugs on the passenger side and drivers side. Small rocks, even less likely - they are so dense compared to a bug which is super lightweight with much surface area. Bugs are designed to fly, rocks are not.

Prove me wrong HD Ram forum members - I would love to see the results! Maybe even a few testers in different parts of the country as further validation.

A null hypothesis is a hypothesis that says there is no statistical significance between the two variables.
My null hypothesis is that bug deflectors do work. Prove me wrong Chet

unclelala

Reaction score
Do you really think a tiny piece of plastic on the front of your hood is going to create enough of a disturbance in the airflow to keep bugs and small rocks off your windshield which is aerodynamically like a piece of plywood plowing through the air?

View attachment 36442
Maybe, maybe not but it sure as hell stops a lot of stone chips on the leading edge of the hood.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
I don't have an expert level of understanding when it comes to aerodynamics although I have worked with experts in the field. We had around two dozen wind tunnels where I worked and I was fortunate enough to participate in testing in the 8-Ft HTT, 20-Ft VST, NTF, TDT and Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel. Again, I was able to view first-hand what goes on and sat in may meetings discussing results so I have some additional insight.

My gut tells me they are snake oil just like deer whistles. If they were effective I can assure you that some automotive manufacturer would install the technology at the factory and proudly proclaim you will never be required to clean another bug off your windshield ever again. Seriously, that would catch my attention. Air is funny, and it's compressible, and it behaves somewhat strangely when it interacts with objects. That's why we continue to study it.

Here is a shot of a late model truck undergoing testing in a tunnel that I found on the interweb. Do you really think a tiny piece of plastic on the front of your hood is going to create enough of a disturbance in the airflow to keep bugs and small rocks off your windshield which is aerodynamically like a piece of plywood plowing through the air?

View attachment 36442
Mine is really shiny chrome, I’ve heard bugs going by my window asking another bug “WTF was that? I missed the windshield, I could not see it!”

jebruns

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not but it sure as hell stops a lot of stone chips on the leading edge of the hood.
Yep, that's why I put them on. For the hood, not the windshield. I may go with PPF this time though. I've put that on several of my wives new vehicles over the years, starting with a 99 Escalade (which is still in the extended family!). Works just as well as the plastic deflector at keeping the rock chips off the hood.

randyr6

Reaction score
I found that on my 2003 3500 (had for 16 years) and 2001 2500 (had for 2 years) and I know I hated trying to get the bugs off the paint before I put deflectors on both. Bugs, when we would go camping, would just sit and bake on while we were in the woods. Getting home a week later made those bugs hard to remove. Had tiny chips in the paint also, hence why the first 3 months on my 2500 I got a deflector after noticing all the bugs on my windshield, with some making that wonderful "spalt" sound. I had to wait 6 months for my 2003 Dodge to get one to come out. Had all kinds of stone chips by then. Some chips went all the way to the primer. I will say that I have seen many a bug and a few birds just miss the windshield when I had deflectors on. I truly believe they change the aerodynamics of the air flow onto and over the windshield (with speed) with such force that things are forced into the air flow over the windshield. I will never not have one again. Besides on a 2022 3500 you need 6-foot arms to reach the center of the windshield, so anything helps.

Users who are viewing this thread