Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

corazzinis

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has info on how to tell if a 2020, 3500 Tradesman had the wiring for the third brake light camera. I only have the tailgate camera now. Asked the dealer and they had no clue. I took out the brake light and didn't see any wiring except for what is there now for the load light. Looked all through the manual and no info. I saw on some sites that the harness for the camera is up inside the headliner. Before I start ripping apart the truck I thought maybe someone would know if there is a way to tell if its prewired, by vin or some other way? Thank you

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has info on how to tell if a 2020, 3500 Tradesman had the wiring for the third brake light camera. I only have the tailgate camera now. Asked the dealer and they had no clue. I took out the brake light and didn't see any wiring except for what is there now for the load light. Looked all through the manual and no info. I saw on some sites that the harness for the camera is up inside the headliner. Before I start ripping apart the truck I thought maybe someone would know if there is a way to tell if its prewired, by vin or some other way? Thank you
It won’t be there, especially since there’s two different camera connector options- the standard analog camera, or the digital coax camera that runs through the surround view module. The wiring is part of the headliner (glued to it) and will only be present in headliners that actually have the camera.

corazzinis

Reaction score
It won’t be there, especially since there’s two different camera connector options- the standard analog camera, or the digital coax camera that runs through the surround view module. The wiring is part of the headliner (glued to it) and will only be present in headliners that actually have the camera.
Thanks Jimmy. I sort of figured that was the case. I removed the radio to look at the back and sure enough there is only 1 video input. The others all have a black cover that cant be removed. Now I'm in the market for a radio that allow multiple cameras. Thanks again!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy. I sort of figured that was the case. I removed the radio to look at the back and sure enough there is only 1 video input. The others all have a black cover that cant be removed. Now I'm in the market for a radio that allow multiple cameras. Thanks again!
Your radio supports the cargo camera. It gets wired into the big radio connector with three wires. Your backup camera is digital, and should be plugged into a fakra connector on the back of the radio.

corazzinis

Reaction score
Do you know how I can tell which 3 cables? Im not even sure what camera to get. Im assuming I would need a Mopar camera and then get the dealer to program the radio for an additional camera?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I guess I should ask which radio you have. It has to at least be an 8.4 radio. This is the CHMSL light with camera you would need- https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-center-high-mounted-stop-lamp-68412027ab
You would need to build a custom harness for it. The three camera wires get inserted into the big radio connector in pins 24, 25, & 26-
v5fIpbN.jpg

The camera also needs power, ground, and LIN bus to the BCM.
You would have the dealer add sales code LPD to your truck to get it to work. Or, you could get AlfaOBD, and enable it yourself.

corazzinis

Reaction score
My radio has the connector for sure. The model part number is 68428584AC. Model VP2, 8.4, HDCC SXM.IMG_1537.jpeg

Rappr

Reaction score
Just so I am clear, the cargo camera is analog and the tailgate camera is digital? I ask because my 2019 Tradesman tailgate camera only has a coax cable and a Fakra connector going to it. I am assuming that it is “fantom” powered via the coax.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Just so I am clear, the cargo camera is analog and the tailgate camera is digital? I ask because my 2019 Tradesman tailgate camera only has a coax cable and a Fakra connector going to it. I am assuming that it is “fantom” powered via the coax.
That’s correct. Also, you can’t do the cargo camera on the 5” radio. It has to at least be the 8.4” without Nav radio.

Atty

Reaction score
That’s correct. Also, you can’t do the cargo camera on the 5” radio. It has to at least be the 8.4” without Nav radio.
Hi Jimmy07,

Can you please confirm that the analog camera for the cargo view is just for the wiring plug into the back of the radio. Is the 360 cargo camera a digital? and if so where does that normally plug into? I remember reading somewhere but now can't find it that the 360 cameras plug into a different module. Do you have any details on that? TIA

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy07,

Can you please confirm that the analog camera for the cargo view is just for the wiring plug into the back of the radio. Is the 360 cargo camera a digital? and if so where does that normally plug into? I remember reading somewhere but now can't find it that the 360 cameras plug into a different module. Do you have any details on that? TIA
Yes, the analog camera has three wires that run directly into the back of the radio. It also has a power, ground, and LIN Bus wire.
Yes, the cargo camera for the surround view system is digital. It plus into the central vision process module via one coax cable, then the CVPM sends the info from all the cameras to the radio via one coax cable. You cannot make the digital cargo camera work through the radio without running it through the CVPM first.

Atty

Reaction score
Yes, the analog camera has three wires that run directly into the back of the radio. It also has a power, ground, and LIN Bus wire.
Yes, the cargo camera for the surround view system is digital. It plus into the central vision process module via one coax cable, then the CVPM sends the info from all the cameras to the radio via one coax cable. You cannot make the digital cargo camera work through the radio without running it through the CVPM first.
Thanks for that, I also remember reading somewhere the that CVPM is the same unit that controls the Adaptive cruise control and forward collision monitoring. Is that correct?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I also remember reading somewhere the that CVPM is the same unit that controls the Adaptive cruise control and forward collision monitoring. Is that correct?
Nope. That’s a different module- DASM driver assistant module, located in front of the rear view mirror.

Atty

Reaction score
Nope. That’s a different module- DASM driver assistant module, located in front of the rear view mirror.
So the big question then is.. Assuming that the CVPM is only installed on vehicles with 360 view.. Can the CVPM be installed/retrofitted into a vehicle? Don't happen to know the part number for it do you?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So the big question then is.. Assuming that the CVPM is only installed on vehicles with 360 view.. Can the CVPM be installed/retrofitted into a vehicle? Don't happen to know the part number for it do you?
Yes, it’s been done. The CVPM is 4672644AI. Then you’d need the fully loaded tow mirrors with cameras, the front camera/bracket/RAM nameplate, rear camera (surround view digital camera is different than the regular digital backup camera), tailgate handle with correct surround view camera mounting bracket, and a bunch of coax cable with fakra connectors.

Atty

Reaction score
Yes, it’s been done. The CVPM is 4672644AI. Then you’d need the fully loaded tow mirrors with cameras, the front camera/bracket/RAM nameplate, rear camera (surround view digital camera is different than the regular digital backup camera), tailgate handle with correct surround view camera mounting bracket, and a bunch of coax cable with fakra connectors.
Great to know it's possible.. right so need all 5 cameras and brackets, mirrors and coax. what about where the CVPM plugs in is it all plug and play? Where is the CVPM located? in the parts diagram it looks like it's directly behind the grill/front camera. Is that right? I see on a 1500 it's behind the kick/sill panel on the right hand side. Are there any threads on the install? Thanks again your help has advanced my knowledge in this space very quickly!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Great to know it's possible.. right so need all 5 cameras and brackets, mirrors and coax. what about where the CVPM plugs in is it all plug and play? Where is the CVPM located? in the parts diagram it looks like it's directly behind the grill/front camera. Is that right? I see on a 1500 it's behind the kick/sill panel on the right hand side. Are there any threads on the install? Thanks again your help has advanced my knowledge in this space very quickly!
There’s no threads on an install, but if you are serious about adding it, I will put in the effort for a detailed write up on exactly what all is necessary. The CVPM on an HD is mounted under the driver seat. The connector for it may or may not be there, but it’s a small connector that has four wires. If it’s not there, you’d need to build the add on harness with that connector to supply power, ground, and canbus wires to the CVPM.

Atty

Reaction score
There’s no threads on an install, but if you are serious about adding it, I will put in the effort for a detailed write up on exactly what all is necessary. The CVPM on an HD is mounted under the driver seat. The connector for it may or may not be there, but it’s a small connector that has four wires. If it’s not there, you’d need to build the add on harness with that connector to supply power, ground, and canbus wires to the CVPM.
Jimmy07, yes my wife and I are very serious (that's extra weighting), if you do that it would be greatly appreciated, as I mentioned in previous threads we'll be taking the truck back to Aus with us and it is far bigger than lots of other vehicles are and will be a struggle (to say the least) to park in some of the parking bays..So a feature like this would be worth our while. I'm hoping that I can find some parts from wrecked vehicles etc. to reduce costs. I'll look at whether I have the connector under the seat.

Thanks again!!

Atty

Reaction score
I didn't see any unused connections under the driver's seat. I do already have two modules under there.. Heated Seat module (P68388905AB) and memory seat/mirror control module (P05026618AF). Doesn't look like there is much more room under there..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread