Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake Controller Troubleshooting/Technical Info

TRoth

Reaction score
Awesome info, would make a great sticky.
I don't know if this is what is going on. I had a similar problem with my 2021 2500 Ram. I had a hard time figuring it out. My trailer brake wiring is ran thru the axel to connect both wheels to the brakes I clipped the wires by the outside brake hub and pulled the wire out. The brake wires were warn in several places with exposed wire causing the error message. I got new wires zipped tied them to the outside of the axel shaft and reconnected them to the clipped brake wires. I did this to both axels and have not had any more problems . I was shocked how warn the old brake wires were and all the exposed wire must have cause some kind of a short in the brakes.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I don't know if this is what is going on. I had a similar problem with my 2021 2500 Ram. I had a hard time figuring it out. My trailer brake wiring is ran thru the axel to connect both wheels to the brakes I clipped the wires by the outside brake hub and pulled the wire out. The brake wires were warn in several places with exposed wire causing the error message. I got new wires zipped tied them to the outside of the axel shaft and reconnected them to the clipped brake wires. I did this to both axels and have not had any more problems . I was shocked how warn the old brake wires were and all the exposed wire must have cause some kind of a short in the brakes.
Given the cheap wire that most trailer manufacturers use as well as the constant vibration and movement of the axles while towing I am surprised that there are not more issues with shorted brake wires. These wires just flop around the inside of the metal axle tube. One would think that the manufacturers would have figured out a better way by now since it really is a safety issue. Nope.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Given the cheap wire that most trailer manufacturers use as well as the constant vibration and movement of the axles while towing I am surprised that there are not more issues with shorted brake wires. These wires just flop around the inside of the metal axle tube. One would think that the manufacturers would have figured out a better way by now since it really is a safety issue. Nope.
Dexter sells the axles with the wire inside already then trailer manufactures just play the stupid card, they make them overly cheap to begin with no surprise they wont change the wire dexter supplys

CdnHO

Reaction score
Dexter sells the axles with the wire inside already then trailer manufactures just play the stupid card, they make them overly cheap to begin with no surprise they wont change the wire dexter supplys
I don't have this issue since I have electric over hydraulic. However if I had regular electric brakes, I would be tempted to rewire it using stranded wire through a plastic conduit attached to the outside of the axle as a pre-emptive measure. That's just me. On the other hand expecting Dexter to use some sort of protective jacket on the wire running inside the axle tube would be like expecting a big payout from the tooth fairy. :cool:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't have this issue since I have electric over hydraulic. However if I had regular electric brakes, I would be tempted to rewire it using stranded wire through a plastic conduit attached to the outside of the axle as a pre-emptive measure. That's just me. On the other hand expecting Dexter to use some sort of protective jacket on the wire running inside the axle tube would be like expecting a big payout from the tooth fairy. :cool:
I run the pvc double jacketed wire for all my brake wiring its some tough stuff and is ment to be buried so it will out last the trailers lol

Users who are viewing this thread