Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Trans 9,000 miles

Blythkd1

Reaction score
So Ram is considering trading out the Aisin for an 8-speed?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So Ram is considering trading out the Aisin for an 8-speed?
It is my understanding that they are dropping (or have already dropped) Aisin for future truck production after 2023.

ZF and Allison are the two likely candidates.

The next major revision on the HD lineup will likely include a cab structure change to match the current 1500. This gains the larger crew cab as well as a flat load floor. In order to do that, and make the structure work, it was explained to me that they cannot use the Aisin due to the overall size of the transmission itself. The Allison and the ZF prototype are a smaller package and would likely allow them to increase the number of gears and also provide the flat load floor in the cab. The people I talk to aren’t you’re average little birdies.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Not familiar with ZF units but Allison is quality.

Reason I ask is because I was wondering how many speeds Ram might be going to. Just hoping it's not 10.

I've been pissing everybody off over on the Duramax Forum because I've been dogging the GM 10spd. I don't see the need for 10 gears in a pickup truck with tons of power and torque (diesels). Not to mention, the GM 10spd is a POS compared to a real Allison 6 speed. Hope that's what Ram goes with.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, make sure to clarify a REAL Allison if you're talking about one going into a Ram. That junk Ford led Ford/GM 10 speed isn't any better than a 68RFE and is like driving a jack f'ng russell terrier on speed with all the shifting going on.

I hope ZF gets things worked out. They've had that in proto for a few years already.

FWIW, my source also said powertrain updates in 24 and cab in 25. Expect 1200 lb. ft. and a new 8 or 9 speed (just my guess).

Makes one wonder if Aisin said F it and slapped the last batch of trans together to fulfill the bulk contract....

flan

Reaction score
I have driven a 05 dmax/Allison combo and I’m a fan of it, has a good shifting strategy.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, make sure to clarify a REAL Allison if you're talking about one going into a Ram. That junk Ford led Ford/GM 10 speed isn't any better than a 68RFE and is like driving a jack f'ng russell terrier on speed with all the shifting going on.

I hope ZF gets things worked out. They've had that in proto for a few years already.

FWIW, my source also said powertrain updates in 24 and cab in 25. Expect 1200 lb. ft. and a new 8 or 9 speed (just my guess).

Makes one wonder if Aisin said F it and slapped the last batch of trans together to fulfill the bulk contract....
You may be more right than you know on that last part.

The 1,200 number is massive. Makes me wonder when we’re going to reach a point where there’s a limit on the current drivetrain architecture.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The 1,200 number is massive. Makes me wonder when we’re going to reach a point where there’s a limit on the current drivetrain architecture.

I think we're virtually there right now. They have to use tons of power mgmt now to take off and to shift gears that it negatively affects the driving experience. I don't mind it at takeoff if it helps everything live, but when you're jacking with the go pedal at the same time the ECM is trying to defuel for a shift, it can sure make for some goofy stuff going on.

First Class 8 trucks I drove at 80,000# didn't even have 1200 lb ft of torque and only 300-350 HP. Sure makes you wonder where it's going to stop.

And yeah, Brutal, I hear ya on the REAL Allison thing. A 1000 Series 6 speed Allison is real. A GM designed and built 10L1000 10 speed is no comparison. Looks like the 6 speed was designed by engineers and the 10 speed was designed by bean counters.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we're virtually there right now. They have to use tons of power mgmt now to take off and to shift gears that it negatively affects the driving experience. I don't mind it at takeoff if it helps everything live, but when you're jacking with the go pedal at the same time the ECM is trying to defuel for a shift, it can sure make for some goofy stuff going on.

First Class 8 trucks I drove at 80,000# didn't even have 1200 lb ft of torque and only 300-350 HP. Sure makes you wonder where it's going to stop.

And yeah, Brutal, I hear ya on the REAL Allison thing. A 1000 Series 6 speed Allison is real. A GM designed and built 10L1000 10 speed is no comparison. Looks like the 6 speed was designed by engineers and the 10 speed was designed by bean counters.
The guys over at Randy’s who did the comparative review on the new 10speed Chevy and ford said it plainly: “Looks like the 10L1000 is the new 68”….that’s all I need to hear.

raven_dt

Reaction score
You may be more right than you know on that last part.

I've had a 68rfe, with zero issues, and a 10R140 that was garbage. I'd take a 68rfe over the 10aR140 any day.

tchur1

Reaction score
@Doctor D - low speed towing at elevation uphill is the ultimate worst case for the 68RFE (or any torque converter trans). It builds a ton of heat because the torque converter is unlocked and it blows up the trans. IDK how the 68 works but I can lock out in the AISIN in 1st or 2nd to help with this issue.

I also personally would take my AISIN with the 6 speed over any 10 speed any day of the week.

Lastly, one quote post with ATS is probably enough. There are a few on here that have discussed the ATS conversion and can weigh in with their thoughts.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The new demon makes over 1000hp and right at 1000 tq and they beefed up the 8 speed and put it in there and it pops wheelies from the factory. 8hp90

5Willy2

Reaction score
My 22 2500 6.7 68rfe trans was throwing codes, causing other issues, fortunately it was still under warranty, approx 24K miles. Repaired at dealership: 2 torque converters replaced for a total of 3 (including original) later, clutch packs, replaced trans valve body, and various seals over months at the dealership. Trans temp was always good while driving. 10K miles later no problems...so far. I dont push the truck while driving,, I keep my trucks over 20 years and dont abuse them, so they will live a long time.
I didnt have a roadside breakdown. I only pull a three horse trailer, not near the weight of other trucks on the site.
Hoping that the driveline wont give any issues in the future. After the 100K driveline warranty, I'll probably upgrade the transmission internal parts prob costing $$$$$.$$

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 22 2500 6.7 68rfe trans was throwing codes, causing other issues, fortunately it was still under warranty, approx 24K miles. Repaired at dealership: 2 torque converters replaced for a total of 3 (including original) later, clutch packs, replaced trans valve body, and various seals over months at the dealership. Trans temp was always good while driving. 10K miles later no problems...so far. I dont push the truck while driving,, I keep my trucks over 20 years and dont abuse them, so they will live a long time.
I didnt have a roadside breakdown. I only pull a three horse trailer, not near the weight of other trucks on the site.
Hoping that the driveline wont give any issues in the future. After the 100K driveline warranty, I'll probably upgrade the transmission internal parts prob costing $$$$$.$$
Sounds like you had bad luck!

Users who are viewing this thread