Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot Monitoring with 5th Wheel

Nick

Reaction score
I wonder if you push conventional if it willl work . What is the point of having an option list if it only does a standard trailer ?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I wonder if you push conventional if it willl work . What is the point of having an option list if it only does a standard trailer ?
The point of the option is specifically to disable it when you’re pulling a gooseneck or fifth wheel.

Those trailers sit too close to the sensors in the taillights, so at best it won’t warn you that there’s a vehicle in your blind spot, at worst it’ll continuously give a false warning.

Nick

Reaction score
The point of the option is specifically to disable it when you’re pulling a gooseneck or fifth wheel.

Those trailers sit too close to the sensors in the taillights, so at best it won’t warn you that there’s a vehicle in your blind spot, at worst it’ll continuously give a false warning.
Should have put them in the mirrors .

Lary0071

Reaction score
Ford kills it with the BLISS system. You tell it trailer length and it covers the trailer, truck and a bit past the trailer. I have a 2019 F150 King Ranch and the technology is way above my RAM.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score

you wouldn’t want it in the mirrors. Look at the size of the radar. You’d have to have a big plastic block that size.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Ford kills it with the BLISS system. You tell it trailer length and it covers the trailer, truck and a bit past the trailer. I have a 2019 F150 King Ranch and the technology is way above my RAM.
Ford's BLIS system for trucks excludes goosenecks and fivers - same as the 20 MY Rams.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So hers the skinny, I've been doing this since wk 1 and posted it somewhere but these things can get jumbled up and lost so here we go. Blind spot monitoring. I have a 35' fiver, yes when you hook up and get in it asked you wich trailer type. Early on I wondered what would happen if I clicked on conventional instead of fiver/goose, would the brakes work the same, would the bsm work? Its great do it. I've got mine set on conventional max trailer. If so nobody is coming up on my rt side or I'm passing someone , the little blind spot arrow comes on in the mirror exactlly when there at my rvs rear bumper and has been very reliable for when I pass people so I know that I'm cleared them so I can get over. Now, a little less acurate is the drivers side. The bsm arrow in mirror will never chime on until there 10' up the side of the rv, so not the full length wich is unfortunate but still helps out earlier than just truck. Drivers side is not as important to me as passenger side while making maneuvers. Brakes work the same as other settings. I select conventional every time i hook up my fiver, it definitly helps offset the no camera on rear of trailer in u connect

Nick

Reaction score
I have a fifth wheel that is 96 " wide and 35 ft long . I left it on conventional and it worked pretty good picked up some 30 ft back . I don't know how well it would work on a 102 wide trailer

Frank

Reaction score
So hers the skinny, I've been doing this since wk 1 and posted it somewhere but these things can get jumbled up and lost so here we go. Blind spot monitoring. I have a 35' fiver, yes when you hook up and get in it asked you wich trailer type. Early on I wondered what would happen if I clicked on conventional instead of fiver/goose, would the brakes work the same, would the bsm work? Its great do it. I've got mine set on conventional max trailer. If so nobody is coming up on my rt side or I'm passing someone , the little blind spot arrow comes on in the mirror exactlly when there at my rvs rear bumper and has been very reliable for when I pass people so I know that I'm cleared them so I can get over. Now, a little less acurate is the drivers side. The bsm arrow in mirror will never chime on until there 10' up the side of the rv, so not the full length wich is unfortunate but still helps out earlier than just truck. Drivers side is not as important to me as passenger side while making maneuvers. Brakes work the same as other settings. I select conventional every time i hook up my fiver, it definitly helps offset the no camera on rear of trailer in u connect

I've only pulled once so far, but when I had my 33 ft TT hooked up I swear the BSM only lit up when a car was in the truck's blind spot. Along side the trailer, nothing. It does detect the trailer when I hook up and it does select trailer length. I am selecting conventional trailer. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I will have the trailer out in a few weeks to test it out again.

John Jensen

Reaction score
From what I understand Blind Spot Monitoring is on when you select conventional trailer and off when you select goose/fifth wheel. BSM turning on or off has nothing to do with what is plugged in. When a trailer is plugged in, the truck knows it but depends on you to select the trailer type to achieve how you want it to perform.

Frank

Reaction score
From what I understand Blind Spot Monitoring is on when you select conventional trailer and off when you select goose/fifth wheel. BSM turning on or off has nothing to do with what is plugged in. When a trailer is plugged in, the truck knows it but depends on you to select the trailer type to achieve how you want it to perform.
Right, that's what I'm doing and nothing. BSM works exactly like no trailer.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Right, that's what I'm doing and nothing. BSM works exactly like no trailer.
Bummer. Don't know what truck you have but my 2020 HO even posts on the EVIC that it is in trailer blind spot mode

Last edited:

Frank

Reaction score
Bummer. Don't know what truck you have but my 2020 HO even posts on the EVIC that it is in trailer blind spot mose
2020 Cummins Laramie, 3 weeks old. I get the trailer icon in the dash if that is what you are referring to. But the alert light in the mirror only lights up when they are in the truck's blind spot. For me, this is a pretty desirable feature. A lot more useful than some of the stuff in the towing tech group.

John Jensen

Reaction score
2020 Cummins Laramie, 3 weeks old. I get the trailer icon in the dash if that is what you are referring to. But the alert light in the mirror only lights up when they are in the truck's blind spot. For me, this is a pretty desirable feature. A lot more useful than some of the stuff in the towing tech group.
Yes, mine does the same. In addition, I get a message that the BSM is in trailer mode (or something like that).

lovegolf44

Reaction score
So out of curiosity, why does RAM offer a "Goose/5th Wheel" selection at all for use with Trailer Merge and Trailer Length Detection if none of these safety features are enabled when towing a 5th wheel? I understand the 5th wheel being in the way of the sensors but why even say Goose/5th on the display? Are there 5th wheels out there that are considerably narrower and would work?

BAT3500

Reaction score
When my truck asks the question after i hook my fifth wheel i just select the conventional option. The length the truck selects is usually off but its better than having the system fully disabled..

lovegolf44

Reaction score
When my truck asks the question after i hook my fifth wheel i just select the conventional option. The length the truck selects is usually off but its better than having the system fully disabled..
Agreed, I did the same thing. Better than nothing.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
So out of curiosity, why does RAM offer a "Goose/5th Wheel" selection at all for use with Trailer Merge and Trailer Length Detection if none of these safety features are enabled when towing a 5th wheel? I understand the 5th wheel being in the way of the sensors but why even say Goose/5th on the display? Are there 5th wheels out there that are considerably narrower and would work?
Winnebago does make a 7' wide fifth wheel line...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
To disable it.

Sent from my work avoidance device

Users who are viewing this thread