Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot Monitoring with 5th Wheel

Hilly1

Reaction score
Question, just hooked my 40ft fifth wheel up to my 2020 3500 Laramie HO for the first time. I got a message on the dash asking what type trailer I had I selected 5th wheel/gooseneck then I got a message something to the effect not compatible and the truck turned the blind spot monitoring off. Is this normal? I see in the settings under the safety app it’s says 39.5 ft max? I know my trailer is right around that length. Thanks in advance.

Silverbeard

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 Ram and the blindspot warning doesn’t function when towing my fifth wheel.

Lary0071

Reaction score
It does not work with any trailer plugged in at all on my 2019 2500. Any time I plug my 16' utility or 22' equipment trailer it tells me that blind spot/cross detection is disabled.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It does not work with any trailer plugged in at all on my 2019 2500. Any time I plug my 16' utility or 22' equipment trailer it tells me that blind spot/cross detection is disabled.

Are those trailers wider than the average 96" TT?

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 3500 that came off the assembly line in the early part of March 2020. The way I understand it, I believe some new Safety Features were released somewhere around February 2020 on the HD Rams and the trucks manufactures before then may not have them. I have several types and size of trailers including a 102 Wide, 40ft Low Bow w/hydraulic Beaver Tail Goose Neck and this feature works on all my trailers so far. Note the button to the left of the 4 way flasher came available on the newer builds if you have it. Here are a couple of screen shots of my dash and settings.. I hope this helps.

20200519_190247.jpg20200519_190001.jpg

Hilly1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 3500 that came off the assembly line in the early part of March 2020. The way I understand it, I believe some new Safety Features were released somewhere around February 2020 on the HD Rams and the trucks manufactures before then may not have them. I have several types and size of trailers including a 102 Wide, 40ft Low Bow w/hydraulic Beaver Tail Goose Neck and this feature works on all my trailers so far. Note the button to the left of the 4 way flasher came available on the newer builds if you have it. Here are a couple of screen shots of my dash and settings.. I hope this helps.

View attachment 4649View attachment 4650
Yep I got the same messages mine came off the line end of January

carlrx7

Reaction score
I read the blid-spot assist when trailering is only available with conventional towing.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 4649

That button is Lane Assist.

Lary0071

Reaction score
I was asking about @Lary0071 trailers.

Fifth wheel disables it because the overhang/frontal area is closer to the radar sensors in the tail lights.
No they are both standard full width at the fenders, just a regular 7x16 utility trailer built by Quality Trailers in Ohio

And the Iron Bull ETB14 - 14,000lb GVWR Tandem Axle Equipment Trailer
out of Texas is maximum legal width 102" wide, 22' long Equipment trailer with drive over fenders.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

g00fy

Reaction score

Does your truck give you the option for Trailer blind spot monitoring? My 2019 didn't give me the option at all, even hooked up to a trailer, so I've been working on enabling it with AlfaOBD, I got the options to appear in the menu, but they don't respond to input yet, probably have to enable a few more options.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Does your truck give you the option for Trailer blind spot monitoring? My 2019 didn't give me the option at all, even hooked up to a trailer, so I've been working on enabling it with AlfaOBD, I got the options to appear in the menu, but they don't respond to input yet, probably have to enable a few more options.
No, even on the window sticker is says Blind Spot Monitoring (Truck Only).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No they are both standard full width at the fenders, just a regular 7x16 utility trailer built by Quality Trailers in Ohio

And the Iron Bull ETB14 - 14,000lb GVWR Tandem Axle Equipment Trailer
out of Texas is maximum legal width 102" wide, 22' long Equipment trailer with drive over fenders.

No, even on the window sticker is says Blind Spot Monitoring (Truck Only).

1. Deck trailers will possibly not be seen.
2. You don't even have the trailer blind spot option?

I think the use is narrow and limited to a box/travel trailer.

Just one more reason it's STUPID that the rear Aux camera can't be left on.

jsalbre

Reaction score
As sort of mentioned above, trailer blind spot monitoring is a 2020 only feature, and only supports conventional trailers. If you select “Goose/Fifth Wheel” it disables it.

Users who are viewing this thread