Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Extender

gwalp

Reaction score
I have the RamBox with the bed divider/extender. Went to set up the bed extender and noticed my truck doesn’t have the pin and rotating lock that the divider attached to on either side of the bed. Should those have been already installed when I got the truck, are they hiding in the truck somewhere or is it an additional item i have to purchase? 606607

arwright

Reaction score
There was a post in another page of this forum about this... you have to order 2 of each of these part numbers listed in the quote below. Allegedly some court ruling/litigation doesn't allow RAM to include them anymore with the truck on delivery.

I had the same problem, and I worked out that RAM no longer provides this on their 2019 models due to some litigation issues (I believe). So I just went to moparpartsinc.com and ordered the parts for the 2018 model and they fit perfectly.

Description:HANDLE. Swivel Release.
Part Number: 68054996AA
Quantity:2

Description:GROMMET. PIVOT JOINT.
Part Number: 68054997AB
Quantity:2

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. Someone apparently overloaded their tailgate and/or didn't attach the extender properly.

You know, instead of being able to say the owner was at fault, they blamed FCA.

Just like how the front windows used to go down with the key fob...they had to stop that as someone who didn't understand put their windows down and it rained or whatever and it is FCA fault.

If you have a 2010 to 2018 RAM with RamBox...take them off before you trade it in lol.

rob33

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to bring back an old post, but do you know what size the torx screw is that holds the handle swivel release in place? Once side of mine isn't flexing out the way it should when trying to latch the extender in.

j_t_l

Reaction score
Yep. Someone apparently overloaded their tailgate and/or didn't attach the extender properly.

I thought it was some issue about being able to see both taillights from a large angle. With the tailgate down & the extender in place, there's only limited visibility to the taillight on the far side.

@JC

Reaction score
It was a NHTSA regulation on angle view of the taillights (aka nonsense from bureaucrats) that made them stop installing them in the 2019s on. Parts were easy to source, 2x 68054996AA - Handle and 2x 68054997AB - Inner Panel Grommet. Parts were $88 shipped from https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com which was the cheapest price from any of the many online parts suppliers who had them in stock. Got them 3 days from the day I placed the order. They took about 5 mins to install per side, mainly due to the lower plugs not wanting to come out clean, in 1 piece (hint if you break the top pad off the plastic rivet you can pull the plastic side rails off and get the rest of the rivet out the back side, put it back on before you install the new parts). The nuts are still welded into the frame behind the plastic rails but you'll need a T50 bit to tighten the bolts.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everybody sn update. My trade that I took in was a 2500 ram box an I snatched out the bed extender an the 4 locking bolts it hooks into. I was Hoping it would work as sn extender ( obviously not as divider as it would be to narrow) on my new 3500 drw. It will not, it's way to small an there is nothing to put the 4 locking bolts into. So ill be selling the gate an 4 bolts as a combo

Users who are viewing this thread