Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bead lock rings

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So has anyone broke the code on the bead lock rings that one would need for the 75th bead lock capable rims?

I'm looking at installing BFG 35's on the truck when I get it and figured if I could find the rings, I'd install them at the same time.

My understanding is the rings that come on the rims are just beauty rings, not the actual rings needed for bead locks. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

el_barto

Reaction score
I’m guessing (but not 100%) it’s the same rings as the Ram 1500 beadlock capable wheels

el_barto

Reaction score
No the 1500 beadlock rim is an 18” and the powerwagon is 17”
Sorry, I didn’t realize they changed it for the new trucks. The “old” beadlock wheel rings...
P5160154
Looks like this p/n is used for Jeep 17” beadlock wheels too, which is why I suspect it’s what will work for the power wagon beadlock wheels.

dave41079

Reaction score
So has anyone broke the code on the bead lock rings that one would need for the 75th bead lock capable rims?

I'm looking at installing BFG 35's on the truck when I get it and figured if I could find the rings, I'd install them at the same time.

My understanding is the rings that come on the rims are just beauty rings, not the actual rings needed for bead locks. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.
The rings that come on the wheels are definitely just trim rings holding a spot for the actual bead lock rings and more/longer bolts.
Sorry, I didn’t realize they changed it for the new trucks. The “old” beadlock wheel rings...
P5160154
Looks like this p/n is used for Jeep 17” beadlock wheels too, which is why I suspect it’s what will work for the power wagon beadlock wheels.

That beadlock ring won't work for a couple of reasons. One is that it uses 25 bolts instead of 24. More importantly, it's the wrong shape. The HD beadlock rings have a scallop shape that meets up with every spoke on the wheel.

20210122_113319.jpg

Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
True enough. I don’t have the beadlock wheels so I haven’t looked that closely into it

waveslayer

Reaction score
You may need a guy to make a ring for you . Most are Fernwood because bead locks are illegal on the street, which I'm not too concerned on but FYI

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JeepingNet

Reaction score
I don't have the Beadlock capable rims -- the dealer couldn't order them for some reason.. But someone should reach out to OMF Performance Products they made beadlocks for a few different configurations.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Talked to my dealer yesterday as I need one due to my recent encounter with a run away boat trailer.
He told me the warehouse is out. But there are 100 in transit to the Detroit warehouse right now.
Just an FYI, they are made in China.
I may be buying new rims, if I do, I'll be selling 3 used rims. New with the ring, they are $1100 from the stealership.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You may need a guy to make a ring for you . Most are Fernwood because bead locks are illegal on the street, which I'm not too concerned on but FYI

No there are DOT legal bead locks out there raceline (im sure its them) makes some the power wagon ones would also be DOT legal even the old H1 wheels true dual bead locks are legal

waveslayer

Reaction score
No there are DOT legal bead locks out there raceline (im sure its them) makes some the power wagon ones would also be DOT legal even the old H1 wheels true dual bead locks are legal
Yes there are, but that doesn't make them legal, depends on your state. Odds of getting a ticket a slim to none. Just like CA requiring a front license plate, I haven't had one on for 10 years....

Weld makes DOT wheels for bead lock doesn't mean they are legal , they even have a paper on it. So just because they are DOT approved doesn't make them street legal in all 50 states.

Personally go bead lock I run them on my current non Ram truck. Just an fyi

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes there are, but that doesn't make them legal, depends on your state. Odds of getting a ticket a slim to none. Just like CA requiring a front license plate, I haven't had one on for 10 years....

Weld makes DOT wheels for bead lock doesn't mean they are legal , they even have a paper on it. So just because they are DOT approved doesn't make them street legal in all 50 states.

Personally go bead lock I run them on my current non Ram truck. Just an fyi

Im not sure about your laws in the US but here in canada aslong as they are dot approved we can run em legally… also yes its weld who makes them not raceline i thought it sounded odd lol

Hegear

Reaction score
Just thought I’d check in again to see if anybody has found these rings.

Kind of ridiculous that they advertise these as beadlocks and then don’t make the rings available.

Thx.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
While it looks like a bead lock ring and has the extra holes, if you watch closely after he pulls the factory ring and before he puts the new ring on, you can see that he is not using it as a bead lock ring as the bead is inside the rim, not between the rim and lock ring.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
While it looks like a bead lock ring and has the extra holes, if you watch closely after he pulls the factory ring and before he puts the new ring on, you can see that he is not using it as a bead lock ring as the bead is inside the rim, not between the rim and lock ring.
I see what you are seeing but look at the lip of the tire sidewall it is out further when he is putting the beadlock on after the cut seen so i do think he is using them as functional bead locks it is just not a good Show of them

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yea, really hard to see as it's only a few seconds. I replayed a bunch of times, but couldnt see the bead on the outside of the rim like I see when mounting our race tires. But it is a bit harder to tell with a black rim.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK, went back and replayed it on my computer so I could see it better than on my phone and stopped it.
I was right, he's just using it as a beauty ring, but has the extra holes in it. And from looking at the back side, I'm not sure it was machined to be an actual bead lock ring.

Users who are viewing this thread