Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Saver Mode

RhodeIslandShawn

Reaction score
I remote started my truck this morning and when I was driving down the road I had noticed a stored message saying battery saver mode. Didn’t know much about it until I looked it up. I looked at the voltage while the truck had been running it was at 14 volts solid until I shut it down and went inside. I went back outside and decided to not remote start it but to pushbutton start and I noticed it was fluctuating between 11 V and 14 V and pulsating the HVAC and a click on the inside of my truck every time volts changed. Anybody have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What about the battery issue? Is the grid heater causing it to trip that message?

Battery saver means something was left on and it cut the power to stop a draw so it has enough power to start

flan

Reaction score
What about the battery issue? Is the grid heater causing it to trip that message?

The grid heaters produce a large amp draw, they cycle on cold starts and will cause the voltage fluctuations you are seeing on the gage. I’m not sure if it’s putting it into battery saver mode, but it’s possible it may to help the batteries recover from the initial cold start and grid heater amp draw.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Battery saver means something was left on and it cut the power to stop a draw so it has enough power to start

If only it worked...

Left me stranded in the airport parking garage after sitting a week on mostly below 0F.

Haven't been into the dealer to have the batteries tested yet.

g00fy

Reaction score
Just had this message flash on the Evic as i was driving to get lunch today. The truck sat all last week outside with night time temps dipping into the low 20's. When I started it up yesterday morning for the first time, it fired up no issues, no battery saver warnings, and i drove it to and from work yesterday, no problem. This morning started up no problem, drove to work, no issues, then when I went to lunch just now, it started up fine and when i was almost to my destination Battery saver flashed on the screen.

I quick bounced over to the voltmeter, showed a solid 14.4v, so I parked and shut the truck down to grab my lunch. Came back out truck started up fine and drove back to work watching the voltage, it took a while to get to 14.4v but it eventually got there and when i got to work I shut the truck off but turned the ignition to RUN without starting the truck and battery voltage was around 12.5v. Not sure if this was a fluke or if I've got an issue popping up. Anybody else experience this?

g00fy

Reaction score
Popped up again this morning, remote started the truck, let it warm up for about 10 minutes, then got in and drove it and within a few minutes of pulling out of the driveway the Battery Saver message popped up. When i got to work before i shut the truck off I checked for faults with AlfaOBD, this is what i got, U0002:

Screenshot_20211124-081614.png

AFF

Reaction score
This happens to me since I bought my 2019. Battery has been swapped but it came back. It does it from about Mid Oct to May when it's below freezing out but it happens less when it's plugged in because there was a battery tender installed when I bought the truck. The dealer here installs battery tenders in all they sell. If that pic above is a way to shut it off in AlfaOBD that would be awesome as it's embarrassing when I have a passenger with me and the radio cuts out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Have the alternator tested seems like that would be the issue if the truck is running as the batteries do little when the engine is running

MarcT

Reaction score
I’ve been getting this same message since I bought my Ram in 2019, now going on my third winter. This problem is really pissing me off, especially the replies I’ve been getting. I’m told the it is normal, to install a battery changer. Is it just me that thinks this is unacceptable for a 94K truck? Pretty disappointed with FCA.

Besides a tender, has anyone actually gotten a fix to this problem short of changing brands?
Thanks.

flan

Reaction score
94k?? Y’all got a hellcat 3500 dually? Wow!

MarcT

Reaction score
94k?? Y’all got a hellcat 3500 dually? Wow!
2019 Laramie, and it doesn’t even have the 12 inch screen or the air suspension. ‍♂️ Look them up on the Canadian site, our dollar is worth $hit compared to USD, so we are blessed with a 30% + markup. You can price them well into the 6 digits for a Laramie, let alone a Limited.
Such a quality problem is not worth the price, no matter how good the trucks look.

I don’t want to have to a battery charger for the price they ask for these trucks.

flan

Reaction score
That’s nuts! I had No idea how much they went up over the last couple years...

Rammer

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a clear diagnosis and fix for this issue? My truck (2019 2500 Limited) just started doing this in the last couple of weeks. About 5-10 minutes into my drive after a cold start, the battery saver message comes up and it shuts down the radio etc. Once I shutdown and restart everything is back to normal and it doesn't repeat until the next drive after a cold start. I've load tested the batteries and they're both good. Today I even watched the voltmeter while I was doing my first drive of the day and it was showing solid 14.2 volts with everything running including seat heater, steering wheel heat, rear window defroster, etc - and I didn't notice any drop in voltage right until the time the battery saver message came on. Then did a quick rolling shut-off and restart and everything returned to normal. I'd sure like to know what I can do about this as it's drivning me nuts.

Rammer

Reaction score
Also I forgot to mention that I tried a battery tender as well so the batteries were at full charge before starting and everything appears to be at specified voltage when running but still for some reason it's going into battery saver mode after 5-10 minutes following a cold start. I wish I knew what was causing this and what can be done to resolve it.

Users who are viewing this thread