Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks ran horn

UglyViking

Reaction score
I am NOT stating the head or anything has to be ported to make the ram work.... I am stating exactly as Gale did that BOOST is a reference of a restriction in airflow across the head. The measurement that people always look towards is "how much boost you can make" or "how much CFM/airflow can part-X make" and what I am stating is the same thing Gale has... we need to measure in MASS Of Airflow which is the density of the air waiting to go into the combustion chamber when the valve opens up. By having a greater MASS, you get more power for each revolution. Think of it as a gate in a field... the larger the gate, the more cows can get through. The cows are already standing side to side, and moving at their normal pace... but having a larger area for them to go through without making them turn around a bend or pole means they can walk freely through the gate without restriction. This makes the effort of the Cowboy pushing them through easier, thus his horse (turbo) works less, BUT since the turbo has the capability to push a certain given amount as programmed by the Cowboy... he gets more work done. Does this simplify the situation? I hope so. In simple terms, with the Banks Ram, more Beef can flow when the valve opens because the mass waiting is greater.

Hope this helps.

Also note that Banks has an EPA Certification for the part. If he begins advertising that he is making more POWER and gives numbers, the EPA can go after him using his own info against him. By using a Mass reference, the EPA has no evidence other than what is already tuned for certification. As business owners these days, you have to adapt to what we can share so Big Brother doesn't point their finger at you while they do as they please.
I appreciate the explanation of mass of airflow, but I don't really think it changes the underlying issue here. If we assume that the head is doing to be a stock non-ported head, then you have the same restriction you had before. Now, I don't know the current restriction on the head, or how it compares to the intake elbow or other parts, but if the elbow is the current restriction, and opening that up makes a bunch more power, then I'm surprised that Banks doesn't show those HP numbers (more on your EPA argument later). It's also odd to me that Cummins wouldn't simply spec a better designed intake elbow if it allowed them to make a bunch more power, especially considering that they are the lowest HP number of the big 3 by a pretty large number. If mass of airflow = power, and that elbow is the only restriction, then why on earth is Cummins not switching that over?

Also interesting that Banks doesn't seem to have an issue listing HP numbers for their ram-air intake (source) at least when the numbers show an improvement. Note, that number is carb approved as well. Their newest 6.7 intake doesn't list HP numbers, oddly enough.

On the topic of EPA cert overall. I have to say it seems highly unlikely. Again for one because Banks does list HP numbers on other carb approved add ons, at least the one intake above I listed, and also since companies like II make a 10% over injector that is carb approved. Who knows the real reason here but I'd be pretty surprised by this.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Gale. I've got no doubt that the elbow increases airflow and mass, but I don't know that it's a mod itself, but rather one that supports higher power mods. If that is the case I just wish it was listed. Surely Banks has done tests to indicate the current restriction and when that elbow needs to be replaced. None of that information is listed, which makes me question it.

I think I'll likely wind up with this elbow in the future as mods deem is necessary, or valuable, if for no other reason than removing the grid heater while still retaining a heater for winter. I just don't think it's doing anything on it's own, at least not that anyone has presented in terms of actual HP/TQ numbers. I wish someone did a before/after dyno. Maybe that is something I need to do.

Linked4door

Reaction score
So for anyone still thinking about this, I took my truck (2022 with ~7k miles) to the dealer for some ticking noise. While the warranty wasn't "voided" they refuse to fully diagnose it until the stock intake is back on. Just something to think about. For me, it will be faster to put the stock intake back on compared to dealing with FCA or ramchat fighting them on this nonsense. Now if they can find what's causing the noise, then try to blame the intake, that's a different story. Doesn't seem to be the direction they are going, at least from what it seems so far.

airboss

Reaction score
my 2020 just got dropped off at Banks this morning, getting Pedal Monster and Ram Intake (red) of coarse. also adding the Banks Ram-Air Diff cover. next a set of aftermarket Discs and brakes

airboss

Reaction score
I did a triple upgrade with Banks Monster Intake,Pedal Monster and Ram Air Diff Cover. Great looks and increased mpg

Mulely

Reaction score
I did a triple upgrade with Banks Monster Intake,Pedal Monster and Ram Air Diff Cover. Great looks and increased mpg
About how much did you gain?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

airboss

Reaction score
getting 2mpg gain 19mpg city in oem mode and on highway in sport mode 22-23mpg the product is great i let a buddy drive it yesterday and he was amazed at the response and drivability in sport mode after having driven it before mod
i like it and when the airbox and charge tubes pass carb spec i will be adding them also

Users who are viewing this thread