Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball hitches and WDHs

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So educate me here a bit...

I have a 5x8 V nosed trailer that I hauled around with the Dakota... obviously the 2500 is *way* taller and I'm going to need a drop (likely close to 10").
FWIW, the coupler reads 5K gross weight, 700 tongue weight, 2" ball... so yeah, small.

Anyway, from what I've been able to gather, the WDH is an entire assembly which means I would need a separate mount and ball for most other purposes, and likely an adjustable one with a decent rise/drop that can handle a variety of weights/applications.

Am I on the right track? If so anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

ghaynes754

Reaction score
A lot depends on the types of trailers and weights you are going to pull. Example I pull a 10,000# 33ft Airstream. Tongue weight is about 1400#. With my 3500 I use a ProPride hitch that does WD and sway control. It has it's own 'stinger' that goes into the truck receiver. For other towing, like a utility trailer I have an adjustable Weight Safe hitch that i use with everything else. Similar to other aluminum machined adjustable hitches I have the 10" version and has a 2" and 2 5/16" ball.

My suggestion is that before you invest in a WD setup try this. Measure the front wheel well height (Ground to center of the front fender) without the trailer. Hook up the trailer and measure again. If you only see a 1/2" difference WD won't make an appreciable difference. Anything over 1" then WD can help move trailer weight to the front axle.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
Honestly, for that small a trailer I wouldn't be concerned with a WDH on a HD truck. You get long or tall trailers then that's when you're going to want to look into the WDH setup.

If you need drop and a WDH, there are hitch drops that are basically another class IV hitch receiver that you can tie the WDH into, depending on the type of WDH.

orlando bull

Reaction score
I have a blue ox WDH... the drop shank from blue ox was like $180 if I recall... I ended up buying a Curt shank for about $80 and it's working great. Yes, you'll need a separate hitch most likely for other applications. You could use the same one without the bars if you wanted, but, the WDHs tend to be large and heavy. I wouldn't want to keep that on my truck at all times. The hitch head also probably needs to be greased and such, so, exposing it to every day wear and tear probably isn't the best option.

I agree with the above though, for that size/weight trailer, you probably won't need a WDH. For a larger trailer (travel trailer) that catches a lot of wind, it's probably a good idea, that's why I am using mine, but, on a small trailer like that, I doubt that you need anything except something with a large enough drop to keep the trailer level.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ok, so I see I wasn't clear... guess that what happens when you don't really have a clear picture on what you want to say!

What I was trying to ask was if the WD bars (and other stuff) could be 'removed' and I could just use the ball end, but that does not appear to be the case.
Is that a correct assessment?

The trailer has a GVWR of 3500#....
So I could pick up an adjustable hitch rated for 5K and be just fine and have some wiggle room if I need to tow anything a smidge heavier.
Or just pick up adjustable 10K# hitch and really not have any issues... aside from maybe towing something that actually needs a WDH... ;)

Daybreak

Reaction score
Howdy,
Ya gotta have lots o balls'
A WDH can be used by itself without the added bars. The ball is going to be 2 5/16 large ball. I would suggest you bite the bullet, and get a hitch, and 2" ball just for that trailer.

I have lots of stuff to put in the receiver.
Pintle hitch hook
4 inch drop 2"
solid piece 1" drop no ball (moving hay wagons)
a solid 3 ball thingy
heavy WDH 2 5/16" which I use with the distributing bars sometimes, and sometimes without. depends on the trailer, and how much weight it will be.

I rather have a bunch, and not need to remove, and replace a ball when needed. Besides, I always keep my balls greased. o_O

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So the receiver opening is 24-3/4"
The bottom of the coupler is 14-1/2"

I'm thinking a 10" drop will be sufficient and I'll not sweat the 1/4"

Looking at the Fastway solid steel mount to cover a variety of towing possibilities.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Gondul, did you get your hitch figured out? I ended up getting a 2 1/2" receiver size Curt drop shank from eTrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/Curt/C17132.html

The 2500 is a lot taller than our old 1500's! I'm using it with a BlueOx SwayPro and 1500# bars. Tongue weight is 1100#.

This worked out perfect and you don't have to use the sleeve.

Attachments

• Curt.png
    Curt.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 33
  • hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 32

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
@Jeffmc306

I picked up the one in the image above your post... 2.5" receiver, 10” Drop, 9” Rise with a 2” and 2-5/16” Ball: 2,000 lb max tongue wt. / 20,000 lb max trailer wt.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
D’oh! Sorry about that! I saw your original post and didn’t read all the way to the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread