Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Advice - Tires Sticking Out Too Far - Need Correct Size

WhatevaOnyx

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here, just had my 2020 Ram 2500 leveled with the Carli Leveling System and added Method MR305 18x9 -12mm with 4.5 backspacing from the advice by a CJC Offroad Associate. He told me that the tire would stick out 3/4-1 inch only. Well, it sticks out dang near 3 inches and I don't care for it. I love the tires Toyo Tires Open Country M/T 35X12.50R18LT.

Assuming that I cannot fix this issue, I'm thinking I will grab new wheels. Can anyone help me with backspacing and offset numbers so that the tires sit slightly past the factory fender flares? Thanks for your help!

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

WhatevaOnyx

Reaction score
I'm socked that they recommended those, they always push a +18 backspacing for fitment and not sticking out? That's about all I have seen them run. Strange?

Nothing you can do short of swapping the wheels out.

Yeah, I figured I'd have to get new wheels. Hopefully I can just sell these and not take too much of a loss. Maybe a new person made this recommendation. I don't mind it sticking out a little, but not this far. Do you know if +18 will allow the wheels to stick out a little? And does the 4.5 backspacing impact this also?

MtnRider

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I'd have to get new wheels. Hopefully I can just sell these and not take too much of a loss. Maybe a new person made this recommendation. I don't mind it sticking out a little, but not this far. Do you know if +18 will allow the wheels to stick out a little? And does the 4.5 backspacing impact this also?

Whoops, I meant to say +18 "offset" not back spacing. The offset and backspacing go hand in hand, changing one changes the other but bottom line a +18 will be further in and not stick out as much. I have a +18 and mine sticks out just a little. Basically it will be 30mm or 1.18" further in from what you have now.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Offset vs backspacing is just two different methods (specs) to do the same thing.

+18 is the usual and customary wheel offset for larger tires without rubbing or too much poke.

WhatevaOnyx

Reaction score
Offset vs backspacing is just two different methods (specs) to do the same thing.

+18 is the usual and customary wheel offset for larger tires without rubbing or too much poke.
Got it. I wonder why the Carli guy told me to go -12? So basically, if I ordered a +18 with 4.5 backspacing would this give me the slight poke that I am looking for?

WhatevaOnyx

Reaction score
Whoops, I meant to say +18 "offset" not back spacing. The offset and backspacing go hand in hand, changing one changes the other but bottom line a +18 will be further in and not stick out as much. I have a +18 and mine sticks out just a little. Basically it will be 30mm or 1.18" further in from what you have now.

I like how yours sticks out ,that looks good, thanks a lot.

tchur1

Reaction score
Check out the CJC instagram page - as other have said they always push +18 to +25mm offset for the best fit and look. Just about all of the trucks on their instagram page have wheels with those specs so that should give you a good sample to look at.

But in short - going to +18 offset should give you exactly what you want.

WhatevaOnyx

Reaction score
Check out the CJC instagram page - as other have said they always push +18 to +25mm offset for the best fit and look. Just about all of the trucks on their instagram page have wheels with those specs so that should give you a good sample to look at.

But in short - going to +18 offset should give you exactly what you want.
Thank you, I sure will. What offset should I be looking for with the +18 offset?

WhatevaOnyx

Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Someone at cjc missed the - on the 12 it should have been +12

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Greenram

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here, just had my 2020 Ram 2500 leveled with the Carli Leveling System and added Method MR305 18x9 -12mm with 4.5 backspacing from the advice by a CJC Offroad Associate. He told me that the tire would stick out 3/4-1 inch only. Well, it sticks out dang near 3 inches and I don't care for it. I love the tires Toyo Tires Open Country M/T 35X12.50R18LT.

Assuming that I cannot fix this issue, I'm thinking I will grab new wheels. Can anyone help me with backspacing and offset numbers so that the tires sit slightly past the factory fender flares? Thanks for your help!

View attachment 40820

View attachment 40821

View attachment 40822

View attachment 40823
I have found round the best way when doing wheels and tires is to ask someone how they did their own my last truck I saw a truck in costco parking lot was exactly as I wanted mine the owner was more than willing to talk me through how he did it.

RVTRKN

Reaction score

I'm not recommending these extensions, just posting possible solutions keeping what you have already.

Users who are viewing this thread