Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Average Cummins HO mpg - unloaded

BEIS

Reaction score
Hey guys, thinking about pulling the trigger on a Cummins HO. What are you guys seeing for mpg?

Last edited:

AKDoug

Reaction score
I have yet to have a total tank that did better than 16mpg. I have basically only owned the truck in winter, so that is a factor. That 16mpg tank was a 400 mile trip with very moderate elevation changes and 65 to 70 mph constant speed and only a couple stops. I'm embarking on a 5400 mile commercial trip next week and that will be my real test. 2700 miles with about 1000# of cargo in the cab and bed. Same load and towing a 25' empty gooseneck on the way back. Overall I'm not the least impressed with the mileage, but it pulls like a beast.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I track the mpg of my 2019 HO using an app called Fuelio. I don't rely on the dashboard mpg because it is overly generous compared to manual tracking.

The best mpg I get is 17 on the highway when not towing. I typically get around 10 mpg when towing a 13,000 lb 5th wheel. My average mpg is 14.2. The lowest mpg was 8 when I was towing at 75 mph in a headwind.

Here is a chart plotting all of my fill-ups since I bought the truck. I always fill up the tank just before I tow, and I always fill up my tank immediately after towing. This makes it is easier to visualize the mpg when towing and not towing.

Screenshot_20200408-002939_Fuelio.jpg

D

Deleted member 80

Recently pulled my toy hauler to OK for warranty work. A bit over 1200 miles one way. Towing average @65 mph 10.2, Empty return trip @70-72 14.2 mpg. Overall trip average 11.85 mpg. Not spectacular, and only about 2 mpg better than my totally overloaded 6.4 gasser pulling the same trailer. The new HO's are thirsty buggers.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I track the mpg of my 2019 HO using an app called Fuelio. I don't rely on the dashboard mpg because it is overly generous compared to manual tracking.

The best mpg I get is 17 on the highway when not towing. I typically get around 10 mpg when towing a 13,000 lb 5th wheel. My average mpg is 14.2. The lowest mpg was 8 when I was towing at 75 mph in a headwind.

Here is a chart plotting all of my fill-ups since I bought the truck. I always fill up the tank just before I tow, and I always fill up my tank immediately after towing. This makes it is easier to visualize the mpg when towing and not towing.

View attachment 3568

How many miles on the truck?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Hey guys, thinking about pulling the trigger on a Cummins HO. What are you guys seeing for mpg?
Depends and varies. Wasn't thinking about MPG when I bought it. Note that they weigh about 4-ton (empty). Just do it. Pull the trigger. Then hook it up to honk'n big trailer and start smiling. ;)

Somees

Reaction score
2019 with only 2900 miles, 18-19 and if I feather the pedal can get 21-22, not hauled anything yet, stuck in coronaville. not broken in ?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
2019 with only 2900 miles, 18-19 and if I feather the pedal can get 21-22, not hauled anything yet, stuck in coronaville. not broken in ?
You'll like the mileage even better in another 15K miles or so. Gawd, I haven't seem Bender in like forever...

Somees

Reaction score
Truck just sitting now........Bender was my son's logo for his Pizza and deli business. Going to haul 5th wheel or slide-in camper, not sure which yet and looking for the best mud flaps now. I had bought Mopar flaps for my 2003 2500 ram diesel and they are still on today so will probably stay with them, but viewing other threads on mud flaps.

RVTRKN

Reaction score

View attachment 3568
Hand calc first 5K miles, empty, boat and 5ver, at 13.836. It may seem low, but not bad for the speed limits here in Nevada.

AKDoug

Reaction score
I just finished an absolutely crazy 6 day 5550 mile run in my truck. 2700 miles empty from Talkeetna AK to Minot ND.. I was running fairly heavy with two spare tires, 110 gal fuel tank in the bed and 200# of tools/clothes/food. Truck scaled at 9500# at Watson Lake YT with the bed tank half full.

Running down my total average speed was 60.2mph and I got 16.5 MPG. On the way home, towing an empty 6500# gooseneck, I got 12.5mpg with an average speed of 58.5 mph. Top speed never exceeded 75mph on the trip, but I did do over 1000 miles at 75mph at least, maybe more.

I burned a crazy amount of DEF (I haven't had the recall done yet) 13 gallons in that run.

Last edited:

AKDoug

Reaction score
I had the recall for the computer update done today, it was 60F out and I ran on #2 fuel. Lo' and behold I got 19.5 mpg today on a 240 mile trip with top speeds at 70mph. I hope this trend continues and I'm not sure which of these three things, or a combination of all of them helped out.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I had the recall for the computer update done today, it was 60F out and I ran on #2 fuel. Lo' and behold I got 19.5 mpg today on a 240 mile trip with top speeds at 70mph. I hope this trend continues and I'm not sure which of these three things, or a combination of all of them helped out.
That's pretty decent! I don't as yet have have the update but was concerned that fuel efficiency would take a hit. Apparently not, at least in your case.

jared43758

Reaction score
36E0D6DC-4202-43CF-A542-FBD1DCB2CD7E.jpegThis is the mpg for lifetime of truck. That’s the total miles I have on truck

Users who are viewing this thread