Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auxiliary Fuel tank/tool box combo

Benson

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to increase my fuel capacity. I'm looking at adding the RDS 72743 60 gal 55l x 19h x 20w. This tank is set up to be a gravity feed setup. I think it also has 2 fittings in the top of the tank. I don't want to go the gravity feed route so I'm thinking about getting a pickup tube to reach the bottom and run a small 12v fuel pump and pre filter from the pickup tube to the adapter in the stock filler tube and then a return from the adapter back to the tank. I have the aux switches so wiring should not be a problem. I'm wondering if this is an adequate setup or do I need a shut off valve or solenoid to keep this from back flowing or overflowing. Any advise is greatly welcome.

D

Deleted member 80

I know they are more $$$ but have you looked at Titan or Transferflow setups that are ready to go and have in cab controls/gauges?

Don-T

Reaction score
Why is it you don't want to use the gravity feed? They work very well. I use the gravity feed and I have had no issues with ti. I know of many others that have had no issues with them either. Unless I am towing I don't even bother with the main tank. When the gauge starts to move I fill the aux tank and let it fill the main tank. That way I always have fresh fuel.

Benson

Reaction score
Why is it you don't want to use the gravity feed? They work very well. I use the gravity feed and I have had no issues with ti. I know of many others that have had no issues with them either. Unless I am towing I don't even bother with the main tank. When the gauge starts to move I fill the aux tank and let it fill the main tank. That way I always have fresh fuel.
Do you leave the aux tank shut off valve open all the time? If so there are no problems with it overflowing the factory filler neck? That is my concern as I know that I would forget to shut off the valve at times?

Don-T

Reaction score
There is no need to shut off the valve. There is a ball check in the adapter at the main filler neck that will keep it from overflowing. When you install it make sure the adapter is above the main fuel line . Install and forget.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
I have installed the RDS 71212 60gal tank with the gravity feed tank on my 2019 Ram 3500 SRW with no issues/leaks etc. There's a guy on the Cummins forum that installed the same tank with gravity check ball system 4 years ago and he's still using it with over 400K on his truck. and he said he leaves it open all the time. I haven't had any problems with mine either. You fill the truck first and then fill the AUX tank and leave the valve open all the time. Nothing leaks out as the truck tank runs down the check valve opens and keeps the trucks tank full. The only thing is I don't know exactly how much fuel is in my AUX tank (I can make a pretty good educated guess by the miles driven) as it doesn't have a gauge or at least an accurate one. But the more I drive it and watch the trip meter (that I reset when I filled both tanks) I know mileage wise when the AUX tank is empty and then the trucks fuel gauge begins to drop. If I'm staying local and do minimal towing I usually fill the truck and then put 20 gallons in the AUX tank to keep my fuel fresh. Then drive about 700 plus miles before refilling. If I'm towing heavy and going out of town I fill everything up, roll and I don't worry about fuel. With the truck tank full and the AUX with 20 gallons I get about 350-380 miles before the truck fuel gauge begins to move. That's local driving empty or very minimal light towing. This is my 5th Cummins truck and the first time I had an AUX tank...man I wished I would have installed one of these sooner...I really like it!

Rappr

Reaction score
I have installed the RDS 71212 60gal tank with the gravity feed tank on my 2019 Ram 3500 SRW with no issues/leaks etc. There's a guy on the Cummins forum that installed the same tank with gravity check ball system 4 years ago and he's still using it with over 400K on his truck. and he said he leaves it open all the time. I haven't had any problems with mine either. You fill the truck first and then fill the AUX tank and leave the valve open all the time. Nothing leaks out as the truck tank runs down the check valve opens and keeps the trucks tank full. The only thing is I don't know exactly how much fuel is in my AUX tank (I can make a pretty good educated guess by the miles driven) as it doesn't have a gauge or at least an accurate one. But the more I drive it and watch the trip meter (that I reset when I filled both tanks) I know mileage wise when the AUX tank is empty and then the trucks fuel gauge begins to drop. If I'm staying local and do minimal towing I usually fill the truck and then put 20 gallons in the AUX tank to keep my fuel fresh. Then drive about 700 plus miles before refilling. If I'm towing heavy and going out of town I fill everything up, roll and I don't worry about fuel. With the truck tank full and the AUX with 20 gallons I get about 350-380 miles before the truck fuel gauge begins to move. That's local driving empty or very minimal light towing. This is my 5th Cummins truck and the first time I had an AUX tank...man I wished I would have installed one of these sooner...I really like it!
Does the gravity feed mess with your fuel gauge or cause it to throw a code? My 2001 F350 had no issues but I am not sure on my 2019 3500. I ran gravity flow RDS on my Ford for 7 years with 0 issues!

Users who are viewing this thread