Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUH failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobra

Reaction score
Put that "pyramid" on that scale - and not pull back on the top. What happens? There's a hint....... You guys are disregarding some pretty obvious fundamentals IMHO.

Put the AUH on a scale... scale reads 35lbs.

B

kobra

Reaction score
Showed up on my feed. Made me think of this chat. Not sure what happened but interesting to see.

Ouch! Thanks for sharing.
Didn't seem like any sudden events before the failure; at least not on the timeline as shared.

B

jsalbre

Reaction score
Let's agree to disagree. As a pilot for example, I simply can't even begin to comprehend how this is so difficult for people to understand - and clearly we're going to continue to disagree. Further, you're even making the fundamental mistake of assuming that the ball is in the center.

Let's do it differently. Put that "pyramid" on that scale - and not pull back on the top. What happens? There's a hint....... You guys are disregarding some pretty obvious fundamentals IMHO.

I put the ball in the center in my example just to make the mental math simple. If you put it off center in whatever direction (in the same position before and after spreading the mounting legs) then it will still remain the same no matter where the mounting points of the frame are.

As far as load changing under acceleration, the only difference there depends on the heigh of the ball. This again is not going to be affected by the location of the mounting feet assuming a rigid structure. Hell, assuming a completely rigid structure I could mount the ball on a giant arm that attaches to the dashboard and it would have the exact same effect on the weight felt by the suspension as if I mounted it on a vertical pole from directly below the ball.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Well, I guess we found common ground, as I believe your understanding of math and phyics are apparently as equally flawed as you consider mine. I have no idea where you're getting your analogies, and further, you're describing something quite different with respect to bridges.

Thats said, let's make it simple, shall we?

Go find a AUH. Stick you fingers under the rear most sideways base rail. It will be located at the very rear of the rear wheelhouse.

Now, go ahead, and have somebody hitch up a nice heavy fifth wheel or gooseneck.

If you still have fingers left, you're correct.

If you don't, then I guess you've got some 'splainin to do...

You clearly don't have any understanding of math and physics. Especially if you don't understand even simple bridges. You just keep coming up with your own theories, though. Try 'splainin them to 2nd graders, cause they don't work here.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Let's agree to disagree. As a pilot for example, I simply can't even begin to comprehend how this is so difficult for people to understand - and clearly we're going to continue to disagree. Further, you're even making the fundamental mistake of assuming that the ball is in the center.

Let's do it differently. Put that "pyramid" on that scale - and not pull back on the top. What happens? There's a hint....... You guys are disregarding some pretty obvious fundamentals IMHO.
You, a pilot? pffttt

I've done weight and balance calcs a couple of thousand times when I was flying and load planning during my military days. The reason for that exercise is to determine the impact of weight on angular momentum (torque) around the weight centers of the plane. If you don't keep the angular momentum small enough on the correct axes, the plane tends to nose up/down or roll starboard/port because the trim and flight controls can't generate enough counter forces to keep the plane level.

It's not because the weight is one big item moved around, it's because it's many items, each with its own center of gravity. Each pallet, for example, in a C-5 Galaxy has its own weight and center of balance., based on what's loaded on the pallet. And you calculate it completely as if the load is centered on the pallet. You have to plan pallet locations in a configuration that's got center of weight of all of them near enough to the center of lift on the plane. That's a vast difference from a single weight (pin weight of the trailer) over a single point (hitch ball) which doesn't move within its lattice.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
You, a pilot? pffttt

I've done weight and balance calcs a couple of thousand times when I was flying and load planning during my military days. The reason for that exercise is to determine the impact of weight on angular momentum (torque) around the weight centers of the plane. If you don't keep the angular momentum small enough on the correct axes, the plane tends to nose up/down or roll starboard/port because the trim and flight controls can't generate enough counter forces to keep the plane level.

It's not because the weight is one big item moved around, it's because it's many items, each with its own center of gravity. Each pallet, for example, in a C-5 Galaxy has its own weight and center of balance., based on what's loaded on the pallet. And you calculate it completely as if the load is centered on the pallet. You have to plan pallet locations in a configuration that's got center of weight of all of them near enough to the center of lift on the plane. That's a vast difference from a single weight (pin weight of the trailer) over a single point (hitch ball) which doesn't move within its lattice.

I'm done with you. Sorry, but tired of your broken commentary. I'm really amazed at your lack of comprehension. Like I said, I'll make you that bet. Stick your fingers where your comments are - right under the back of that hitch.

Oh, BTW, spent 23 yrs military too, in the same aircraft you're talking about, so take that somewhere else. Not interested in your failure to understand the correlation and try to deliberately misrepresent information.

kobra

Reaction score
I'm done with you. Sorry, but tired of your broken commentary. I'm really amazed at your lack of comprehension. Like I said, I'll make you that bet. Stick your fingers where your comments are - right under the back of that hitch.

And, while you're at it, let us know what happens when you stick your fingers under the front part of that hitch...
I'm not sure why you think there is any validity in repeating that same argument over and over.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread