Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Other Drivers Getting More....

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Are other drivers more light sensitive or are they just getting more angry?

My late night drives home from work have been getting frustrating, more and more people seem to be flashing their headlights, flipping me off and sometimes playing games. It's robbing me of my serenity lately, and I don't like it.

It seems most didn't read how to look at (really away from) oncoming headlights in their driver's education course, assuming drivers ed still being offered or a thing.

Before anyone jumps on my back, all of my vehicles have factory headlights, bought new, and knock on wood, no accidents. Our Mini Cooper has HID lights that even self calibrate when it starts, my 2500 is basic halogen and 3500 has the LEDs. I completely get the HID's on the Mini, they're bight, but they're also not a new thing, and last night, even my stock/empty 2500 got flashed a couple of times! Tonight I am measuring and adjusting (if needed) the Mini's headlights, maybe they're high.

Also, whenever I hook up to my goose neck people flash, but hell, we're in North Texas where every other truck has a goose neck attached, one would think they'd know deal when one is heavy. Every time I see pick up truck headlights that look bright it's hauling something. Surely other drivers are aware as well?

Wondering if others have noticed this in their travels as well, or are ALL three of my vehicles not adjusted correctly? And on a side note, it's particularly funny when someone with HID/LED headlights flash me, anyway I digress, thanks for reading my rant.

jadmt

Reaction score
Maybe have someone drive your vehicles at you while you are in another car and see how bad it is. Last thing i want to do is blind someone coming at me. I have met vehicles that are blinding no matter if you look away or not. I know here roads are bad and sometimes people think you are flashing them when you hit s bump

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Are other drivers more light sensitive or are they just getting more angry?

My late night drives home from work have been getting frustrating, more and more people seem to be flashing their headlights, flipping me off and sometimes playing games. It's robbing me of my serenity lately, and I don't like it.

It seems most didn't read how to look at (really away from) oncoming headlights in their driver's education course, assuming drivers ed still being offered or a thing.

Before anyone jumps on my back, all of my vehicles have factory headlights, bought new, and knock on wood, no accidents. Our Mini Cooper has HID lights that even self calibrate when it starts, my 2500 is basic halogen and 3500 has the LEDs. I completely get the HID's on the Mini, they're bight, but they're also not a new thing, and last night, even my stock/empty 2500 got flashed a couple of times! Tonight I am measuring and adjusting (if needed) the Mini's headlights, maybe they're high.

Also, whenever I hook up to my goose neck people flash, but hell, we're in North Texas where every other truck has a goose neck attached, one would think they'd know deal when one is heavy. Every time I see pick up truck headlights that look bright it's hauling something. Surely other drivers are aware as well?

Wondering if others have noticed this in their travels as well, or are ALL three of my vehicles not adjusted correctly? And on a side note, it's particularly funny when someone with HID/LED headlights flash me, anyway I digress, thanks for reading my rant.
What are you thinking man…driving on THEIR road. ;) It seems manners are not taught anymore by parents, driving instructors etc. Lots of the new vehicles are very bright and I have light sensitivity but I deal. Enyone can forget to dim but give a quick flick and If I don’t change my lights then that’s good as they are going to get. Don’t be a Dick and give me the brights as you pass. Most of my vehicles are packing and given the time to react you will lose that game.o_O

ppine

Reaction score
The whole country is pissed off. Some say we have PTSD from Covid. Don't participate. Just mind your own business.
Living in a rural place helps a lot. I don't like driving near cities at all. I avoid going to Reno whenever possible.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When someone flashes me i flash em back and if they turn their lights off good if not i keep my High beams on or if I'm in my dually i throw on the 4 130W kc daylighter spots and they tend to turn their lights off rather quick

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When someone flashes me i flash em back and if they turn their lights off good if not i keep my High beams on or if I'm in my dually i throw on the 4 130W kc daylighter spots and they tend to turn their lights off rather quick

That is a complete D* move and also carries the potential for you to get ticketed. Why the F would you blind an oncoming driver?

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Are you using the auto dim feature? I noticed several times where it dimmed noticeably later than I would have so I’m sure that’s ticked off a few drivers coming my way. Thankfully, I don’t drive much in the dark anymore unless really necessary.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That is a complete D* move and also carries the potential for you to get ticketed. Why the F would you blind an oncoming driver?
If they chose to keep their highbeam lights on after they see mine are off with the quick flash they played the Dmove first im just beating them at their own game… f around and find out…. It rarely happens

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Are you using the auto dim feature? I noticed several times where it dimmed noticeably later than I would have so I’m sure that’s ticked off a few drivers coming my way. Thankfully, I don’t drive much in the dark anymore unless really necessary.

I only use that on the back roads, and the BMW/Mini system is very good and it immediately adjusts, unlike our RAMS auto high beam system. I do not rely on the RAM's auto high beam feature, because I agree it doesn't adjust soon enough.

Maybe have someone drive your vehicles at you while you are in another car and see how bad it is. Last thing i want to do is blind someone coming at me. I have met vehicles that are blinding no matter if you look away or not. I know here roads are bad and sometimes people think you are flashing them when you hit s bump

I have in fact, my wife followed me from South Florida to North Texas, I had zero issues with them. Absolutely agree with you, I do not want to blind someone, but it seems people are super sensitive. I am going to set up tape and adjust if needed, but these BMW/Mini HIDs are very technical, in fact every time the car starts up the headlight calibrate, it's not like I threw some cheap LEDs from China in it and now cannot understand why everyone is flashing me.

And I spoke to a good friend that drives a BMW 5 Series and he said the same thing happens to him. So it goes back to thinking everyone is either more sensitive or angry.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The projector LEDs on my ‘23 Rebel came adjusted obnoxiously high from the factory. They shined well above where they should have and took a good bit of adjusting to get down to the right level.

For the “blind them if they leave their brights on crowd”: First, don’t be a tool. Just because someone is doesn’t mean you have to. Not everything in life requires constant escalation. Second, if your lights are adjusted too high it may not be visible to oncoming traffic when you flash your brights as the cutoff is already above their eye level, especially if you have projector lights, so assuming they know you’ve flashed your lights back may be an incorrect assumption.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Did you level your truck? That would aim your headlights higher. I haven't been flashed yet but I have met one of my neighbor's in his truck that is identical to mine. I was in my Saturn Vue and it blinded the hell out of me for a moment. I believe his is stock.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Yeah I get flashed too, usually when hauling. If they keep their hi beams on, I just watch the edge of the road until they pass. I typically don't flash back unless they flash me 2 or 3 times. And I never flip my hi beams on and leave them on, even if the d-bag coming from the other way does it to me. I figure better if at least one of us can see something.

I don't know why but the headlights thing at night doesn't bother me much. Now, someone cutting me off in the daylight, honking at me and flipping me off does rile me up. Especially since they're almost always the ones that did something stupid, not me. I tow/haul a lot of oversize equipment and the stupidity I see out of other drivers absolutely never ceases to amaze me. I like driving at night when all the other A-holes are asleep, it's just not something you do much with wide loads.

jadmt

Reaction score
Did you level your truck? That would aim your headlights higher. I haven't been flashed yet but I have met one of my neighbor's in his truck that is identical to mine. I was in my Saturn Vue and it blinded the hell out of me for a moment. I believe his is stock.
I think this was meant for op. I rarely if ever get flashed

TW720HVY

Reaction score
I adjusted the Mini's headlights last, they were about 2" higher than the recommend height off the YouTube videos. We will see if this

I was originally talking about my car, but the other night I had a couple flash my (empty) 2500. To answer your question, no it is not leveled, I pull a goose neck with it.

Yeah I get flashed too, usually when hauling. If they keep their hi beams on, I just watch the edge of the road until they pass. I typically don't flash back unless they flash me 2 or 3 times. And I never flip my hi beams on and leave them on, even if the d-bag coming from the other way does it to me. I figure better if at least one of us can see something.

I don't know why but the headlights thing at night doesn't bother me much. Now, someone cutting me off in the daylight, honking at me and flipping me off does rile me up. Especially since they're almost always the ones that did something stupid, not me. I tow/haul a lot of oversize equipment and the stupidity I see out of other drivers absolutely never ceases to amaze me. I like driving at night when all the other A-holes are asleep, it's just not something you do much with wide loads.

One of the worst incidents was that of another "big truck" at midnight, and the guy changing lanes and flipping me off was also at midnight, so unfortunately not all the A-holes are asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread