Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the 2019-2020 trailer camera yet?

gregmachz

Reaction score
i talked to dealer today truck needs wiring installed and there is a camera and wiring to install on trailer to have trailer camera and it sounds like it is a wired camera
just wondered if anyone has this yet and if it is wired or wirless
cost was around 1200 for parts
a lot for something that should have been on the truck already
thanks

Phil T

Reaction score
The wiring kit is available and I just received mine yesterday and installed it. It took a little over 5 hours. I still need to have the flash done by the dealer to enable the feature in uconnect. I don't have a camera to test it, but from the look at the instructions, there are only 5 wires that go to the connector at the rear. Power +12v, from the fuse panel under the hood, ground at the frame, camera signal+, camera signal-, and shield. The last three plug into a connector behind a removable panel on the driver side dash. If the input needs to be a standard video signal, any camera that provides that should work.

gregmachz

Reaction score
okay just finally got the acc book and see that it is wired

all the hype and ads stated wireless camera

you would think with the tech we have today they could have sorted it out

RickH

Reaction score
The wiring kit is available and I just received mine yesterday and installed it. It took a little over 5 hours. I still need to have the flash done by the dealer to enable the feature in uconnect. I don't have a camera to test it, but from the look at the instructions, there are only 5 wires that go to the connector at the rear. Power +12v, from the fuse panel under the hood, ground at the frame, camera signal+, camera signal-, and shield. The last three plug into a connector behind a removable panel on the driver side dash. If the input needs to be a standard video signal, any camera that provides that should work.
Thanks Phil, seems my dealership does not know about this yet. Is there a camera that comes with it or is this just wiring for the truck? Is there a camera available? I also noticed that the new "Build Your Ram" lists cameras (plural). I have been looking at a systems that has cameras on the rear side lights along with the rear facing camera, was hoping this would work.

Gray Ghost

Reaction score

Where does the connector end up on the truck to plug in to? Can you post a picture?
Thanks

Phil T

Reaction score
It replaces the standard trailer connector above the bumper. The 4 pin trailer connector becomes the 15 pin camera connector. The 7 pin connector stays the same.

Last edited:

Gray Ghost

Reaction score
Copy, we thought it was that 15 pin connector but no one knew for sure. Thanks!

RickH

Reaction score
Have you are haas anyone installed this kit and connected a camera? My dealer said that the camera will not work while driving, so I would not be able to see what is coming up behind me. This would be very disappointing since my aftermarket trailer camera does stay on and I can see who is getting ready to pass me.

Klinger

Reaction score
I’m getting the Furion observation camera for my Solitude. It’s presided for it and uses 2.4 RF air wireless. Yes I have to have the 7” monitoring screen and not tied into truck camera but it has side view cameras and rear camera with back up lines. Also a door camera (rear and door have sound and motion activated so monitor can be in RV and see outside or talk to anyone at the door

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
My dealer said that the camera will not work while driving, so I would not be able to see what is coming up behind me. This would be very disappointing since my aftermarket trailer camera does stay on and I can see who is getting ready to pass me.
Indeed! Me thinks that FCA did not think this through. RVers are buying up the aftermarket stuff so that they can see behind the trailer. Not just when backing into a site but on the road, in traffic, on a six lane hwy! I had a cop zip by me and then brake check me HARD on a six lane about six yrs ago. He was mere hairs away from having 7 tons of truck and RV wrapped around his brainless cranium. Why? A lit up ambulance approaching from the rear in my lane. I didn't see it - I couldn't see it!

Ricktara

Reaction score
My last truck, a F250, I had hard wired a camera to rear of trailer and a monitor on dash. It was connected to my accessory switches so I could turn it on and off at will. It was great on highway to see behind me and to the right side. It worked great except my own connectors at back of truck didn’t like weather much and got wonky. I had hoped for something other than mounting another screen next to the 12 inch monster, but it doesn’t look like it

Silver Dawg

Reaction score
20191220_141859[1].jpg 20191220_141906_HDR[1].jpg 20191220_143229[1].jpg
Ok, So here's some pics of the #8221577OAB trailer camera.
1) camera is powered by harness thru truck connection - mtg brackets / zip ties, etc included
2) It contains several lengths of wire harness that you plug together depending on trailer length up to about 50 ft.
3) The harness connector socket is to the right of rear license plate (if you have the truck harness which is separate.
The truck wiring harness is separate; If you have the harness, your info center will show a blue screen for trailer camera until connected. I think this is more suited for bumper pullers (not 5vers) unless the truck plug is re-located near the trailer connection in the truck bed.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
View attachment 2137 View attachment 2138 View attachment 2139
1) camera is powered by harness thru truck connection - mtg brackets / zip ties, etc included
2) It contains several lengths of wire harness that you plug together depending on trailer length up to about 50 ft.
3) The harness connector socket is to the right of rear license plate (if you have the truck harness which is separate.
The truck wiring harness is separate; If you have the harness, your info center will show a blue screen for trailer camera until connected. I think this is more suited for bumper pullers (not 5vers) unless the truck plug is re-located near the trailer connection in the truck bed.
Very curious about how this will work. Appears to be plug & play provided the associated truck wiring exists and the trailer camera app is resident. Plse keep us informed and... welcome to the forum!

Phil T

Reaction score
View attachment 2137 View attachment 2138 View attachment 2139
are there any part number markings on the trailer plug itself? I don't want to purchase the whole trailer kit from Mopar since the quality of the video is horrible. I plan on building my own setup that would be far superior. All I need is to find a source for the plug that mates with the 12 pin bumper connector.

Silver Dawg

Reaction score
are there any part number markings on the trailer plug itself? I don't want to purchase the whole trailer kit from Mopar since the quality of the video is horrible. I plan on building my own setup that would be far superior. All I need is to find a source for the plug that mates with the 12 pin bumper connector.
I looked at the harness under my bumper and could find no plug markings

lovegolf44

Reaction score
? My dealer said that the camera will not work while driving, so I would not be able to see what is coming up behind me.
Anyone confirm this is the case? That's insane it wouldn't work while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread