Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone add front camera to 8.4?

jadmt

Reaction score
is there a feasible way to add the front camera? I have parksense but it would be nice to have a camera as well. Plug and play would sure be nice. thanks

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
is there a feasible way to add the front camera? I have parksense but it would be nice to have a camera as well. Plug and play would sure be nice. thanks
One simple way is to use an aftermarket camera, and pin its signal and shield wires into the cargo camera input positions on the radio connector (if you don’t have the cargo camera option), and use AlfaOBD to enable the cargo camera. Then you can use it’s soft key on the radio to toggle the aftermarket camera on and off.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
no I can not. Unlike you I am only 4'5" so it can be very hard to park. I am sure you would not understand tho as you probably have been height advantaged your entire life.....

Yeah...I hit 6'6" at 13. I have many friends that we joke about having the same issues, opposite ends. I cannot fit into many cars and motorcycles. They tease me about that. I tease them that I can put their car in my truck.

deschutz

Reaction score
One simple way is to use an aftermarket camera, and pin its signal and shield wires into the cargo camera input positions on the radio connector (if you don’t have the cargo camera option), and use AlfaOBD to enable the cargo camera. Then you can use it’s soft key on the radio to toggle the aftermarket camera on and off.

sorry I have been looking thru the forum but haven't seen this question asked.

I already have a factory cargo camera and backup camera on my 2019 2500. Are there other inputs on the uconnect 8.4 that anyone has been successful in connecting a front aftermarket camera to? Does anyone here know where/how the factory front camera is hooked up? I plan to order AlphaOBD and an OBD module if there is hope. Thanks

Jimmy07

Reaction score
sorry I have been looking thru the forum but haven't seen this question asked.

I already have a factory cargo camera and backup camera on my 2019 2500. Are there other inputs on the uconnect 8.4 that anyone has been successful in connecting a front aftermarket camera to? Does anyone here know where/how the factory front camera is hooked up? I plan to order AlphaOBD and an OBD module if there is hope. Thanks
If you already have the cargo camera, then there’s no other analog camera input to use for an extra camera. You would have to put it on a switcher.
The front camera is part of the surround view system, and is run through a video processing module. At the very least, you’d have to add the video processor (CVPM), the correct rear digital camera, and the front camera. Instead of configuring the BCM for surround view, you would configure it for the integrated trail camera system that the Jeep gladiator uses. That way, you don’t have to spring for the mirrors with cameras for the surround view.

deschutz

Reaction score
Thanks for into. I'll see what I can find about a switcher.

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
I wanted a front cam for rock crawling, but like you I already have the cargo cam on my 2019 PW. Researched all options for integration into the 8.4" Uconnect, but ultimately decided on using this simple standalone option. I used a (ridiculously strong) magnet to mount the cam on the front bumper and wired it direct to a add a circuit fuse tap. Since it's wireless that's the only connection. The monitor stows when not in use and I use the suction cup mount right in the middle/bottom of the dash (out of my line of sight mostly). Works perfectly for my application, the 8" monitor has a 12v cig connection with a power switch and it plugs in right on the dash. Got on sale for $169. I mounted the second camera on the back of my teardrop camper as a backup camera for an extra bonus. Both cameras work great wirelessly. I know this might not be ideal for you, but it sure was easier to accomplish and works like a champ for me. I don't need it for parking though, my primary use case is spotting/tire placement when offroading (and the bonus backup cam for the teardrop).

Here are the gun magnet mounts I used and a pic (not apologizing for dirty truck - it gets dirty ever damn day!)
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.24.18 AM.png

deschutz

Reaction score
Interesting.
I recently purchased the Furrion Vision S 7" kit for my trailer (AmazonSmile: Furrion Vision S) and i have one remaining camera. So I think I'll use your idea and mount it up front. I'll add a picture when I am done.
I really wish car manufacturers didn't make everything so proprietary/locked down. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

Thanks for sharing.

ardvark666

Reaction score
Does anyone know the steps needed to connect to the 2019 radio

Remy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is needed to added the OEM front camera? I bought the grille for it and would like to add a front camera if I could. I have the 8.4 without the cargo camera.

Thank you!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is needed to added the OEM front camera? I bought the grille for it and would like to add a front camera if I could. I have the 8.4 without the cargo camera.

Thank you!
Do you just want to add an aftermarket front camera, or the OEM front camera. If you want the OEM front camera, you have to do the full surround view system install-

jadmt

Reaction score
I sure wish there were a way to do an OEM front camera with out the complete surround install..if wishes were fishes we would all have a fry i guess.

Remy

Reaction score
Do you just want to add an aftermarket front camera, or the OEM front camera. If you want the OEM front camera, you have to do the full surround view system install-

Dang that’s a bummer didn’t want to go through the hassle of adding all the extras. Any idea what the best OEM looking camera there is that I can hook up with the cargo camera button on the 8.4

Just looking for something that isn’t really noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
So apparently I like to pull back threads from the grave... This is probably the 3rd time I've done so.

I'm trying to get this forward facing camera thing working. I bought THIS camera, THIS power adapter off the 12v plug, THIS video cable with the proper fittings, and plugged them into pins 21 and 22 of the big plug on the 12" uconnect radio module. I enabled the cargo camera in alfaobd.

I'm not getting anything but a blue screen when I pull up the cargo camera. @Jimmy07, I've seen other posts about using pins 24 and 25, but you have identified those are for an aux camera, not the cargo. Anything else I should be doing? I don't know how to remove the pins from 24 and 25, even if I wanted to try 21 and 22, without breaking something. Is there an easy way to test to make sure my camera is good. I saw in another post someone's was bad.

Last edited:

Go4Mac

Reaction score
Guess I’ll grab a shovel as well…
@MooneyFWD , did you ever get this to work? I would also like to get a front camera installed on my 8.4” screen. I figured I would do about the same configuration, but I was thinking of using a wireless receiver, maybe something like this so I don’t have to worry about running a wire through to the cab.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Guess I’ll grab a shovel as well…
@MooneyFWD , did you ever get this to work? I would also like to get a front camera installed on my 8.4” screen. I figured I would do about the same configuration, but I was thinking of using a wireless receiver, maybe something like this so I don’t have to worry about running a wire through to the cab.
Nope! I abandoned ship. I may eventually take it to a local guy to install. I've seen on his IG that he hooked up a forward facing came on a Ram before.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
So I’m still going down the rabbit hole. I found this video tonight, showing a company that makes a plug and play rear cargo camera fit the 2019+ hd trucks. Looks promising. Wrong camera direction, and i already have an obd, but still looks good. Maybe find a camera and just buy their wiring harness? Here is a link to the harness. I’ll look into it more and let you know how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread