Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

jakebrake

Reaction score
There are those on this and other forums with minor to serious problems with their trucks. It sucks to pay a lot of money for one and have issues with it.

But one thing you need to remember Is that theses forums end up tending to highlight problems and minimize those with good experiences. I think for every person on these forums with issues, there are thousands with nothing but good to say about them. They just don't post much.

I remember when the new JL Wrangled came out, there wrrre driving issues, steering issues, and frame weld issues. You would have thought they were all junk from the chatter on the forums. Yet there were those like me, and many thousands more, who had no issues at all. We were driving the best Jeep ever built!

The new HD Ram is the same way. For each truck with issues there are many, many which have none. Mine is one of those. In 13,000 miles it has been almost flawless. Is it perfect......? No, but the little issues that have occurred, do not detract from the driving experience. It is the best truck I have ever owned.

Do not be afraid of these trucks because of what you read, but rather, use the issues that some have as data points in your thought/buying process. Know that there ARE some issues, but the majority of these trucks are good to go.

I hope you get one and enjoy it like I enjoy mine,

I agree with hutchman, I had a 2018 Laramie DRW 6.7 and not one issue at all. my truck was 100%. other than a rough ride, the best truck I ever owned. I have a 2019 being built.

Zinga

Reaction score
I agree with hutchman, I had a 2018 Laramie DRW 6.7 and not one issue at all. my truck was 100%. other than a rough ride, the best truck I ever owned. I have a 2019 being built.
If you have a 2018 Laramie with no problems, why are you replacing it so soon?

Zinga

Reaction score
Bummer about the accident.

No offense intended but from a data standpoint, I'd exclude your ownership experience. For starters, you don't yet own a 2019 so you can't yet speak about problems or a lack of problems. And, you owned a 2018 for about 1 year. That's a lot different from numerous threads on the other board about "did Ram fix this yet" regarding topics that span years, from owners who list rows and rows of different Dodge/Ram trucks they've owned. And, it's different from a number of posts about the same problems mentioned on both boards that are specific to the 2019's.

The loyalty that most owners have to Ram is commendable but at the same time, rather odd.

Last edited:

Zinga

Reaction score
How much did the warranty run and how long does it cover you?
Bumper to bumper, 8 years 85k.
$2600

Since I probably won't put more than 10k per year, I'll run out on time before mileage. Considering all the electronics, it's worth it for only a few hundred dollars per year.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Bumper to bumper, 8 years 85k.
$2600

Since I probably won't put more than 10k per year, I'll run out on time before mileage. Considering all the electronics, it's worth it for only a few hundred dollars per year.

I passed on the MOPAR warranty as they got rid of the Lifetime Warranty Plan (not sure it was ever available on the 2500s).
You are aware the extended warranty runs concurrently with the manufacture's warranty...

Zinga

Reaction score
I passed on the MOPAR warranty as they got rid of the Lifetime Warranty Plan (not sure it was ever available on the 2500s).
You are aware the extended warranty runs concurrently with the manufacture's warranty...
Yes. I'm aware and doesn't matter. It's a small expense and I paid cash for it. And it I think of the cost over time, it's a small cost. Besides, if one electronic part stops working 7 years from now, it'll pay for itself.

Albertadude709

Reaction score
2019 Power Wagon 6.4 Hemi

Just over 2000 km on it so far had it almost 3 weeks.

Here’s my list of issues so far:

Transmission sometimes slips into neutral when trying to back into parking stalls. It doesn’t show that it’s in neutral but the engine will rev, truck will roll, but no acceleration. Putting it into park and then back to reverse will get me going again.

Driver side window usually refuses to go all the way up. It does try to go up, but then it stops and goes half way back down. Repeating it a few times finally gets it to stay all the way up.

The driver-side door sometimes makes an excessively loud “snap” coming from the hinge somewhere.

Ram boxes aren’t set right, they rattle and don’t seal.

The hood isn’t set right, it bounces while driving, and looks like it isn’t closed all the way, but it is.

Excessively loud engine chatter/tick. Even for a 6.4. It sounds like the valves are loose/slapping.
I Compared it to other HD rams with the same 6.4 hemi engine and year, and they are nothing close to how loud mine is.

This really worries me.

It’s going back to the dealership in the morning to get looked at. I hope they can solve the issues.

I’m sure I’ll be told they can’t duplicate the issues and try to send me on my way .

What would you guys do?
Can I ask them to take the truck back and give me a different one?
It sure seems like I have myself a lemon here...

29EEA2AC-D5B7-47F4-A5E2-AB68FEDD2FF6.jpeg

Last edited:

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
......I’m sure I’ll be told they can’t duplicate the issues and try to send me on my way ‍

with that many issues, i'd tell them to keep it until they could.

i'd expect a rental car until they could solve the problem, or i'd rent one my self and seek reimbursement later. i'd also try to capture as much of it on video as you can. i'd also document everyone you speak to at the service department along the way. lastly, if the vehicle was out of my possession for anything longer than 5 days, i'd break down my monthly payment into 30 days and charge them accordingly.

sound extreme? i don't think so for a brand new truck at this price point. anything i've stated here i've actually done myself with one manufacturer or another in the last 25 years. the last being Chevy.

Albertadude709

Reaction score
with that many issues, i'd tell them to keep it until they could.

i'd expect a rental car until they could solve the problem, or i'd rent one my self and seek reimbursement later. i'd also try to capture as much of it on video as you can. i'd also document everyone you speak to at the service department along the way. lastly, if the vehicle was out of my possession for anything longer than 5 days, i'd break down my monthly payment into 30 days and charge them accordingly.

sound extreme? i don't think so for a brand new truck at this price point. anything i've stated here i've actually done myself with one manufacturer or another in the last 25 years. the last being Chevy.

Thanks man. Thats all good info.

I’ll post here again tomorrow after I get back from the dealership.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
2019 Power Wagon 6.4 Hemi

Just over 2000 km on it so far had it almost 3 weeks.

Here’s my list of issues so far:

Transmission sometimes slips into neutral when trying to back into parking stalls. It doesn’t show that it’s in neutral but the engine will rev, truck will roll, but no acceleration. Putting it into park and then back to reverse will get me going again.

Driver side window usually refuses to go all the way up. It does try to go up, but then it stops and goes half way back down. Repeating it a few times finally gets it to stay all the way up.

The driver-side door sometimes makes an excessively loud “snap” coming from the hinge somewhere.

Ram boxes aren’t set right, they rattle and don’t seal.

The hood isn’t set right, it bounces while driving, and looks like it isn’t closed all the way, but it is.

Excessively loud engine chatter/tick. Even for a 6.4. It sounds like the valves are loose/slapping.
I Compared it to other HD rams with the same 6.4 hemi engine and year, and they are nothing close to how loud mine is.

This really worries me.

It’s going back to the dealership in the morning to get looked at. I hope they can solve the issues.

I’m sure I’ll be told they can’t duplicate the issues and try to send me on my way .

What would you guys do?
Can I ask them to take the truck back and give me a different one?
It sure seems like I have myself a lemon here...

View attachment 724

My hood also does that. When I first got the truck I stopped to see if it was popped open. I'm going to ask them to look at it at first oil change.

D

Deleted member 80

People have been battling Hemi tick for a long time. My 6.4 had it. Redline 5W40 oil was the only thing that kept it quiet. It takes about 700 miles or so for it to quiet it down.

Albertadude709

Reaction score
People have been battling Hemi tick for a long time. My 6.4 had it. Redline 5W40 oil was the only thing that kept it quiet. It takes about 700 miles or so for it to quiet it down.

Ya I was aware of this Hemi tick before I bought it. This isn’t as much of a tick, it’s more of engine chatter.

My friend with his 6.4 Hemi was complaining about the “tick” that developed in his after 50,000 km. But he had pretty much fully expected to happen after doing some research. But mine is significantly louder than his. And like I said it’s more of a chatter sound of the valves/lifters slapping. There’s definitely another underlying issue with my engine.

When driving you can also the engine “miss” about every 5 seconds. Definite engine problems.

Albertadude709

Reaction score
My hood also does that. When I first got the truck I stopped to see if it was popped open. I'm going to ask them to look at it at first oil change.

I’ve been reading a lot of posts about the hood doing this. Sounds like this is quite common with the new ones. Possibly due to the hoods being made of aluminium now?

The dealer service tech did tell me that Ram recalled some trucks for the hoods having this same issue. My power wagon however isn’t one of them. It Maybe worth it for you to check into.

D

Deleted member 80

Ya I was aware of this Hemi tick before I bought it. This isn’t as much of a tick, it’s more of engine chatter.

My friend with his 6.4 Hemi was complaining about the “tick” that developed in his after 50,000 km. But he had pretty much fully expected to happen after doing some research. But mine is significantly louder than his. And like I said it’s more of a chatter sound of the valves/lifters slapping. There’s definitely another underlying issue with my engine.

When driving you can also the engine “miss” about every 5 seconds. Definite engine problems.
Hemi tick can be a mild tick that is hard to tell from injector tick, or it can be startup clatter, or it can be hot tick that sounds like mallet knock. My 6.4 had ALL OF THE ABOVE. The recommended Pennzoil synthetic did not quiet it down, it sounded like a thrashing machine on Amsoil Signature series. Only 5W40 Redline would keep it quiet for a normal change interval.

Users who are viewing this thread