Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Almost T-Boned in my 22 Power Wagon

meyerdm2003

Reaction score
Crazy what happened to me today. My driver door was not shut all the way but shut enough to let me drive out into traffic. The door must have opened just enough to enable the do not drive safety feature and stopped me in the middle of oncoming traffic, it put my truck into park and I was unable to move until I figured out it was my door that was keeping me from driving further. Luckily the oncoming vehicle stopped and did not hit me. Is there a way to disable this function...what a serious safety issue this is. I am lucky I didn't get T-Boned.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Crazy what happened to me today. My driver door was not shut all the way but shut enough to let me drive out into traffic. The door must have opened just enough to enable the do not drive safety feature and stopped me in the middle of oncoming traffic, it put my truck into park and I was unable to move until I figured out it was my door that was keeping me from driving further. Luckily the oncoming vehicle stopped and did not hit me. Is there a way to disable this function...what a serious safety issue this is. I am lucky I didn't get T-Boned.
Was your seatbelt on? Im not sure if it can be disabled but i though if your seatbelt is on it does not function. @Jimmy07 would be the man to ask about it!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
There’s a lot to unpack here. You should wear your seatbelt and, from the sound of things, a helmet as well.

jadmt

Reaction score
My wife got taken out on Friday. I am glad she had her seatbelt on and air bags. Airbags banged up her face and she did break her hand but that will heal. amazing bruising where the seatbelt was so there was tremendous forces at work. impact was estimated between 45-55 mph she was in a 55 mph zone and a woman in an Explorer blew a stop sign.
I am sure there are people who think if they would have been wearing a seatbelt they would have died but it is rare,possible yes but rare just the same. I know I will take my chances with a seatbelt any day.
IMG_2953.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
But I bet you'd know a lot more who would still be alive if they had.
Statistics are pretty clear about the effectiveness of seat belts to save lives.

But hey, do whatever you want.

Actually no i dont know anyone who has died not wearing a belt, here in moose country its not uncommon to have a moose crush in peoples roofs when they hit them. At the end of the day you do what you feel is best we are all adults and can make our own decisions despite what others may think

Last edited:

DrTron

Reaction score
Around here I frequently see reports of people dying in crashes "ejected from vehicle" on the news. Which pretty much means that they didn't wear a seat belt. How many would still be alive if they had is pure speculation, obviously.

Icky

Reaction score
So from what I gather it's the OPs fault his truck did this because he wasn't wearing his seat belt. And he doesn't value his life or his truck because he doesn't wear his seat belt. Did miss anything?

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in wearing a seatbelt, but I also don't care what you do on your own so long as its not harming me or my family.

However, I think the original post was saying he closed the door, but for whatever reason it didn't latch all the way (had that happen before). With no seatbelt on, he went around a turn and the door flexed or moved enough the sensor lost connection and thought the door was open, thus slamming the truck in park while driving leaving him stuck in an intersection scrambling to figure out what happened.

I personally HATE all of these goofy safety things like the 'slam it in park' or three horn chirp everyone rants on. Granted, wearing a seatbelt would have mitigated the issue but I also think that its way more dangerous to stop your vehicle unexpectedly like that. Safety is good, but taking full control away from you like that just seems like a recipe for disaster at the worst time possible.

DrTron

Reaction score
The general idea of that function is to prevent injury and prevent a runaway vehicle when the driver exits the vehicle (for whatever reason) while in Drive. To make sure that doesn't happen involuntarily, they implemented a 2 out of 2 logic: the seatbelt has to be unbuckled AND the door has to be open. Only one of these condidtions "active" doesn't trigger it, so you can unbuckle your seatbelt (like when pulling into the garage after getting your mail) OR you can open the door while buckled in.

OP drove around with one of these conditions "tripped" all the time, so that degraded it into a 1 out of 1 actuation.

More safety would be the introduction of a third factor, like a seat occupation indicator (our trucks have that for the passenger seat, but maybe not for the driver's seat). Then it would turn into a 3 out of 3 logic. Question is, is that really necessary?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
More safety would be the introduction of a third factor, like a seat occupation indicator (our trucks have that for the passenger seat, but maybe not for the driver's seat). Then it would turn into a 3 out of 3 logic. Question is, is that really necessary?
they also have the brake pedal thats part of that equation if you are lightly on the brakes it wont engage auto park

jsalbre

Reaction score
Aside from all the above mentioned items (seatbelt, door closed, brake depressed), AutoPark also will only engage if the vehicle speed is below 1.2 MPH. It's disabled above that for safety reasons, and also because at a higher speed you'd probably just shear the teeth off the parking pawl.

CdnHO

Reaction score
38 years in EMS. Way back when seat belts became mandatory, my job got much easier. Before that, we has lots of busted femers and chest injuries. After that they became way less frequent. And that was before airbags. So yeah, seat belts are a good thing. And those circumstances where seat belts caused an injury? Better bet is the lottery.

jsalbre

Reaction score
38 years in EMS. Way back when seat belts became mandatory, my job got much easier. Before that, we has lots of busted femers and chest injuries. After that they became way less frequent. And that was before airbags. So yeah, seat belts are a good thing. And those circumstances where seat belts caused an injury? Better bet is the lottery.
People who go through windshields aren't pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread