Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allison Tranny - when?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I feel like Ford has had a pretty solid reputation for "light duty" transmissions, this new issue aside.

The death wobble issue is obviously a larger concern and something that Ford has seemed to struggle with for a long time.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My error. Meant 2020+ with the issues. The previous 6-speed was indeed a fantastic transmission. New 10-speed….not even in the same league.

I asked a lot of people I knew about their experiences with each of the big 3 HD trucks. One of my friends had a small fleet of 3/4 & 1 ton trucks (current fleet is around 20) and has been running Ford for the last 10 years but told me that this years replacements will be going with Ram due to the transmission issues / down time and front end suspension issues he’s had with his trucks. He bought a 2021 early on for his personal truck to test it out and has loved it. I really wished Ford transmissions were more reliable as I probably would have gone with a F350 Lariat Tremor. I’m sure Ford will get it all sorted out but I’m not gonna roll the dice. Maybe in 2-3 years when I pick up my next truck….. guess I’ll see how much I love the Ram.

Agree on all of that. I LOVE my new Ram and have owned more cummins-powered trucks than i can count BUT--

That new powerstroke is a ****ing monster and gets great fuel economy (compared to my HO). The Tremor is a sweet looking truck.

What kept me away from Ford this time around was the interior. Their interior SUCKS! No one compares to Ram's interior today... no one is even in the same category IMO.

Reaction score
Agree on all of that. I LOVE my new Ram and have owned more cummins-powered trucks than i can count BUT--

That new powerstroke is a ****ing monster and gets great fuel economy (compared to my HO). The Tremor is a sweet looking truck.

What kept me away from Ford this time around was the interior. Their interior SUCKS! No one compares to Ram's interior today... no one is even in the same category IMO.

The 6.7 Powerstroke is indeed a beast of an engine for power. To bad they still use the CP4 varient. When I made my decision on which truck to buy next, it was finding the best all around combo. After talking to lots of friends and even a couple of their mechanics, I found that the Cummins/Aisin/CP3 was the best complete drivetrain combo, the interior is vastly superior to the competition, and styling was very appealing. The current Ram has been proven and has shown that it’s currently (IMO) the best over all package in the segment.

I know Ford isn’t going to rest on it’s laurels and the next Gen interior will most likely bridge the gab with the Ram and the transmission will get the bugs worked out. Hopefully they can also figure out the death wobble issue as well. When that day comes, I’ll reassess. I’m not super brand loyal (except Toyota, they have a soft spot in my heart) and have owned vehicles from Chevy, GMC, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Hyundai, and Subaru.

Last edited:

Diesel42

Reaction score
I followed alot of threads relating to the transmisssion update requests. I bought a 21 3500 Laramie HO w/Aisen. I pull a backhoe w/16k gooseneck dump trailer and a 16k fifth wheel toyhauler in Nor Cal where we are surrounded by mountains and grades. I can't imagine being any happier. I can accelerate up grades pulling these loads!!!!!!!!! Going downhill, the exhaust brake is unbelievable!!!!!! The Aisen in my view is outstanding. I can't imagine why anyone could complain. I tow loads and have owned HD pickups for most of my life. It wasn't that long ago we needed a bobtail dump truck to haul some of the loads people are pulling with these 1 ton trucks these days. Absolutly no reason to switch from this combo. If there's anyone that can't live with 420HP and 1075lbs of torque coupled with that 6spd Aisen, then they should probably get their class A drivers license and buy a 18 wheel semi. Not to mention, if they ever do a change you don't want to be the geni pig for the first couple or more model years until they work all the bugs out of them. More gears doesmt necessarily mean better, not to mention when was the last time you heard of someone complaining that their Aisen trans blew up??? So glad I didnt listen to the rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread