Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

wilsonck

Reaction score
I am going to get Alfaodb but not sure what parts I need. What I think I need is

The Alfaodb SW

A bypass module

And an interface

Or this one

do I have this right? Are there better options?
what truck? if your old one, you don't need the bypass module. If it is the new one ('23), you need the module, but it sounds like AlphaObd still needs a code revision or two to work. Sounds like some others have got beta code from the developer to work though.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to get Alfaodb but not sure what parts I need. What I think I need is

The Alfaodb SW

A bypass module

And an interface

Or this one

do I have this right? Are there better options?

vLinker MC+ is a cheaper option than the MX+ and works the same.

phatboy64

Reaction score
what truck? if your old one, you don't need the bypass module. If it is the new one ('23), you need the module, but it sounds like AlphaObd still needs a code revision or two to work. Sounds like some others have got beta code from the developer to work though.
I need to update my sig but yes it is for a 2023 3500.

Reaction score
Reverse Lights w/ Courtesy
Anyone know if AlfaOBD can make the reverse lights come on with all the other courtesy lights when you unlock in darkness?
I really liked that extra lighting in the back on my Chevy.
If it can't be done that way, I just plan to wire up an NC relay w/ dioded feed from the license plate lights, with open trigger from ignition to prevent normal lighting from lighting the reverse lights.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK, my bad. Just checked my lights. All of them come on EXCEPT the reverse. But the bed carg light does come on.

Don't think there is a way to make the reverse lights come on as well. But I know they did on some other cars I had. But they didn't have the cargo light as they were cars.

Reaction score
All good! I appreciate the response nonetheless. If it seems of interest to any or a good idea, I'll post the specs of the harness for it here.

CI6

Reaction score
Can AlphaOBD read the truck's PIN and program new fobs with the use of the bypass cable?
Sharing what i ended up doing to program extra keys that was "economical" in my situation

Needed to add three additional FOBs to give my kids and wife access to the truck when camping or skiing.

Was qouted 250+ at the dealer per FOB, total 750.

Instead purchased the FOB at Aliexpress for $25 each, the Topdon Ninja 1000 for $400 and a $18 SGW bypass cable, total cost was roughly 500.

Installing the SGW bypass was easy and using the Ninja 1000 was straight forward. Cost effective path if you need more than 1 FOB, and you get a FOB programing tool in case you ever need it.

Hope this helps others

UPDATE - The Aliexpress Key FOBs do not work with proximity entry, not sure why? the push to start button works with the key inside the cabin, if i remove the battery, the FOB needs to be touching the start button, so the FOB is sensed inside the cabin, but no luck opening or closing the doors from outside. My OEM FOBs work perfectly for proximity, but not the Aliexpress ones, but they function in all other ways (opening, closing, panic, remote start, tailgate open)

Last edited:

JedNelson

Reaction score
Anyone have codes to turn off the Cornering Lights ? Meaning - Fog lamps come on at low speed while turning or when you turn the blinker on. I want to be able to just turn the fogs on and off when I want them on and off.

GabeLiV

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link explaining the location for 22 HD power wagon location for the bypass cable hookup ? Pulled it out of my Gladiator and need to hookup my new PW. Thanks in advance

sstoner911

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link explaining the location for 22 HD power wagon location for the bypass cable hookup ? Pulled it out of my Gladiator and need to hookup my new PW. Thanks in advance

The bypass cable for my JL will not fit on my Ram 3500....completely different connector. You will need to buy one for the PW.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
You can use the one from your gladiator since you already have it. You would need to remove the instrument cluster to access the connections that that type of bypass uses. You’ll see the gateway module and its two plugs bolted to the dash frame behind the cluster.

sstoner911

Reaction score
You can use the one from your gladiator since you already have it. You would need to remove the instrument cluster to access the connections that that type of bypass uses. You’ll see the gateway module and its two plugs bolted to the dash frame behind the cluster.

**edit**

ah I see he has to go behind the cluster....I think for ease buying a new cable would be simplier if you ever plan on needing to connect again.

I left the one in my JL for the AUto Start/Stop killer.

I leave the one in my ram as well.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Is it possible for the bypass and/or OBD reader to cause PCM power faults?

Truck was fine when shut down the night before. In the morning it lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree after a remote start with P2509, U0121, U0415, U1412.

Cleared faults, cycle MAR/start, clear again to get it to extinguish CEL.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is it possible for the bypass and/or OBD reader to cause PCM power faults?

Truck was fine when shut down the night before. In the morning it lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree after a remote start with P2509, U0121, U0415, U1412.

Cleared faults, cycle MAR/start, clear again to get it to extinguish CEL.
Not that I ever heard of.
If it’s a bypass that replaces the security gateway, then there would just be one stored in the BCM for lost communication with security gateway module.

PCT

Reaction score
Has anyone played with AlfaOBD on their 2019 HD's yet? I'm curious if anything is accessible to "change" and if it just works. There is lots of different info out there on other forums, but i haven't found anything in regards to the 2019's.

EDIT: AlfaOBD does work, here is the what is needed to use it on 2019 and newer HD Rams:
- The Android app from google play store, or windows download from AlfaOBD.com. (Windows version strongly recommended) (AlfaOBD is Windows/Android only)
- A Bluetooth interface such as OBDLink MX+ or OBDLink LX (cheaper than the MX+ if you don't need iOS support or use on Ford or GM (MX+ comes with a choice))
vgate vLinker MC or MC+ works as well as the OBDLink and is half the cost.
- And a bypass harness to bypass the security gateway module so changes can be made- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

[MOD: Adding a pic of the KAOdTECH bypass cable connections to reduce the daily question]

White/Green wire to WHITE base connector (CANBUS-IHS)
Yellow/Blue wire to BLACK base connector (CANBUS-C)
https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...module-location-for-programmer.440/post-26099
index.php
Does the OBDLink LX work just fine or do i need to buy the MX/+

Users who are viewing this thread