Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin Shift Behavior

• Thread starter Deleted member 80
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80

So, just as my truck arrives, I have run across numerous owners complaining of weird, unnecessary, somewhat radical downshifting in the '19 Aisin trucks. Many of these are previous Aisin owners, and/or have fleets of these units, so not inexperienced in their operation. My buddy has a 3500 SRW, and he is fit to be tied over it. With his horse trailer hooked up it will downshift so aggressively it will just about knock the animals down, and that is even with T/H off. I hope enough people complain to force a reflash.

Wayniac85

Reaction score
Hey, man, I have a bright white, 2019 aisin ram 3500 SRW, just like your buds.. I haven't had any crqzy downshifting, but it shifts like it has a shift kit, just taking off and letting it go through the gears... I usually coast into my driveway (throw 'er up in Neutral doing so), well if I pull it back down into drive doing roughly 3 or 4 mph, I get a damn clink every single time in the rear-end... That's the only fault I have to it.

D

Deleted member 80

I got my truck, and I do like that the Aisin upshifts like a truck, not a car. I can put up with a harsh shift here and there. However, when I roll onto the downhill of my driveway it will be in second, then as I roll onto the uphill portion it will get into what feels like a false neutral, the revs will pick up and the truck is not going anywhere, and then it SLAMS into low. This is beyond a firm/harsh shift. I also find that when you are slowing down, like coasting onto an off ramp, when you drag the brakes, even when not in tow/haul, and with the exhaust brake off, it will begin pretty aggressively downshifting unnecessarily. There is no reason to be making 2500 RPM downshifts under those parameters.

Not a deal breaker for me by any means, but they definitely need to reconsider the shift programming.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpaeth

Reaction score
Just watched a video on youtube, the guy brought his truck in complaining about the Aisin downshifting on decel. Apparently there is an update out for the trans. He hadn't towed with it since the update but there are several software updates out for the trucks so lets get them in!

D

Deleted member 80

Had mine in today, and it already has the most recent software. They reset the adaptive learning, which I know is a waste of time. Said it takes up to 1K miles to learn. I was at 800. My main beef is not so much the downshifting, it is the 2-1 SLAM shift I get when I slow roll into a hill, like my driveway. It catches a false neutral, the revs pick up, and then it SLAMS into low.

People need to keep complaining. I will.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Had mine in today, and it already has the most recent software. They reset the adaptive learning, which I know is a waste of time. Said it takes up to 1K miles to learn. I was at 800. My main beef is not so much the downshifting, it is the 2-1 SLAM shift I get when I slow roll into a hill, like my driveway. It catches a false neutral, the revs pick up, and then it SLAMS into low.

People need to keep complaining. I will.
What was the build date of your truck?

jpaeth

Reaction score
Ok, Mine was built in a\April, the video I saw online of the guy saying there was an update was built in March. I'm not sure when the update was released, maybe by June it was being applied to new production trucks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I got my truck, and I do like that the Aisin upshifts like a truck, not a car. I can put up with a harsh shift here and there. However, when I roll onto the downhill of my driveway it will be in second, then as I roll onto the uphill portion it will get into what feels like a false neutral, the revs will pick up and the truck is not going anywhere, and then it SLAMS into low. This is beyond a firm/harsh shift. I also find that when you are slowing down, like coasting onto an off ramp, when you drag the brakes, even when not in tow/haul, and with the exhaust brake off, it will begin pretty aggressively downshifting unnecessarily. There is no reason to be making 2500 RPM downshifts under those parameters.

Not a deal breaker for me by any means, but they definitely need to reconsider the shift programming.

I experienced this slam shift for the first time yesterday.

Barely a rolling stop, which I've seen posted elsewhere as a contributing factor, and it banged so hard I thought the trans dropped on the road.

325 miles on the truck.

I picked it up 3-10-20 so I don't know what code is installed. It is going into the dealer Monday for some other issues. If they update it, I'll make sure they document before/after levels on the work order.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I experienced this slam shift for the first time yesterday.

The slam was supposedly fixed in TSB 21-001-20 back in January, so I would expect your truck to have the update. The good TCM version is 68475153AD, so let us know which version yours has when you find out.

Here is a copy of TSB 21-001-20 and what it fixes.

Screenshot_20200420-091715_Drive.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread