Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension

THook

Reaction score
The information on sir suspension in the manual is somehow confusing to me…..I understand that the normal/standard setting is for ”normal “ driving and the “alternate trailer height “ Lowers the truck 1 1/2”. Which setting should I use when towing a fifth wheel?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming you have a 3500 with air, I always use Alt trailer Height when towing my fifth wheel so the truck is level and the fifth wheel nose isn't high and is also level.

It's best to measure or check the fifth wheel for level and then decide which works best. If you are at or near your max payload, it's said that running Alt trailer Height may lesson the possibility of busting a bag if you hit a big dip.

A member here blew out a bag running over his payload, but I believe it was on a 2500 air suspension truck.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
The information on sir suspension in the manual is somehow confusing to me…..I understand that the normal/standard setting is for ”normal “ driving and the “alternate trailer height “ Lowers the truck 1 1/2”. Which setting should I use when towing a fifth wheel?
Note, if you do not have enough payload or tongue weight the truck will not be able to achieve the alternate ride height. It takes a bunch. With my 4500 pound Car Hauler (without the car in there) I could not achieve the alternate ride height. With the car, yes. But there was a time I was towing the trailer unloaded often as loaded. So I chose to run the normal ride height all the time just to keep from having to adjust the ball mount (or look goofy) all the time. Total with the car is likely 9000 pounds and at least 15% tongue weight. Maybe more as my car is front heavy and I cannot load it any farther back. Just sayin....

THook

Reaction score
Note, if you do not have enough payload or tongue weight the truck will not be able to achieve the alternate ride height. It takes a bunch. With my 4500 pound Car Hauler (without the car in there) I could not achieve the alternate ride height. With the car, yes. But there was a time I was towing the trailer unloaded often as loaded. So I chose to run the normal ride height all the time just to keep from having to adjust the ball mount (or look goofy) all the time. Total with the car is likely 9000 pounds and at least 15% tongue weight. Maybe more as my car is front heavy and I cannot load it any farther back. Just sayin....
Thanks for the reply. I I was able to achieve the alternate height. I have a 36 foot fifth wheel and a 5500 Oman generator in the forward bay. Seems to handle the alternate height pretty well.

THook

Reaction score
Assuming you have a 3500 with air, I always use Alt trailer Height when towing my fifth wheel so the truck is level and the fifth wheel nose isn't high and is also level.

It's best to measure or check the fifth wheel for level and then decide which works best. If you are at or near your max payload, it's said that running Alt trailer Height may lesson the possibility of busting a bag if you hit a big dip.

A member here blew out a bag running over his payload, but I believe it was on a 2500 air suspension truck.
Thanks for the post. I’m running alternate height setting and it seems to be handling it pretty well. Thanks again

jetlag

Reaction score
Great question, i wonder myself. We were loading our 5th wheel the other day, and the truck sort of lowered itself just a bit. My bride was bewildered, I blamed it on the air ride. sometimes after pulling and it seems to ride tail high, so I play with the lowering settings to set it level. Still bewildering what it does or doesn't.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to run mine Alt Trailer Height to get everything (see sig) level.

I'd actually like the 5th wheel to be a bit taller and should have stepped up to to 235/85R16 size when I replaced the tires before our first pull.

That said, my truck tires were also replaced with a size larger at 500 miles.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

I do the same.

Running in standard height gives my set up too much "rake" when hooked up.

DTREES

Reaction score
All Knowing: Question. 2022 3500 DRW.Does the suspension require the "Loaded weight for the ATH" if you use the modes for Transport, Tire/Jack or wheel alignment? Will these settings lower the suspension to its lowest point regardless of loaded condition?

Thanks

gimmie11s

Reaction score
All Knowing: Question. 2022 3500 DRW.Does the suspension require the "Loaded weight for the ATH" if you use the modes for Transport, Tire/Jack or wheel alignment? Will these settings lower the suspension to its lowest point regardless of loaded condition?

Thanks
Yes, but you cannot travel more than 5 mph with those settings.

DTREES

Reaction score
Yes, but you cannot travel more than 5 mph with those settings.
Thanks. That is what I thought. This is possibly a method to get in and out of my garage!! I think I am going to be 1" too tall.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
On the 1 ton trucks, any of the alternate height settings will be near useless unless you have a load in the bed.

My truck runs around with near 0 psi (maybe 5?) in the bags unloaded in the "normal" setting. Unloaded, the air bags themselves are so soft to the touch where i can push them in by hand with little resistance.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Jack Mode will not lower or otherwise adjust the air suspension. It's intended to lock in current position.

CJM

Reaction score
In regards to a 3500, why not run it all the time in Alternate Trailer Height? If the Alternate Trailer Height setting does not work
without a load on the truck why bother using Normal Ride Height? I am just trying to figure out what advantage there is to running
the truck on "NRH" if the "ATH" does the same thing without a load.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
In regards to a 3500, why not run it all the time in Alternate Trailer Height? If the Alternate Trailer Height setting does not work
without a load on the truck why bother using Normal Ride Height? I am just trying to figure out what advantage there is to running
the truck on "NRH" if the "ATH" does the same thing without a load.

It won't activate or stay on ATH without the load.

Occasionally if I forget to deactivate it, it will stay on for a while until I shut the truck off and it realizes there's no load.

Users who are viewing this thread