Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Issues

CodyPereira

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping I can find some help here on the forum regarding the recent issues I have been having with the rear air leveling suspension on my 2014 Ram 2500. I tow often on the weekends, so the system does get "worked" going between ALT Trailer mode and Normal mode in addition to the leveling feature when a load is in the bed.

Back in October, I started to have an intermittent issue with the air suspension on a particularly cold night (approx 29 degrees F - nothing crazy.) Started the truck and was met with a message saying "Immediate Air Suspension Service/Repair Required." I chocked it up to being a colder night and maybe the compressor was being cranky. I was not able to change the rear height. From then on, the message would only appear intermittently - no correlation to being cold, warm, rainy or dry. As time went on, the message would appear more frequently until the message appeared every time the truck was started.

I went through and checked all the electrical connectors; each ride height sensor for both sides, both connectors at the compressor itself. Unplugging them, cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and plugging back in. Checked the fuses (all three located under the hood related to the air suspension system) and they checked out good.

Truck is not losing air, the ride height does not change, indicating a presence of a leak in the system, so I am thinking it has to be a sensor or connection? Upon starting, the system will purge the air, but then the compressor will not kick on to adjust.

I am not someone to take the truck to the dealer unless I have to - heard some horror stories during my searches of people having issues with the air suspension and having the dealers just throw parts at it hoping something will work with the most common being throwing a new compressor in which in all cases I have read, does not fix it. I find it hard to think that the compressor is my issue, as if the compressor was locked up, it would be blowing the fuse repeatedly.

Can someone lend a hand here? I am at a loss, and there is not much information regarding these systems for the HD trucks (much more on the 1500's.)

Thanks in advance!!

christopherdee

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping I can find some help here on the forum regarding the recent issues I have been having with the rear air leveling suspension on my 2014 Ram 2500. I tow often on the weekends, so the system does get "worked" going between ALT Trailer mode and Normal mode in addition to the leveling feature when a load is in the bed.

Back in October, I started to have an intermittent issue with the air suspension on a particularly cold night (approx 29 degrees F - nothing crazy.) Started the truck and was met with a message saying "Immediate Air Suspension Service/Repair Required." I chocked it up to being a colder night and maybe the compressor was being cranky. I was not able to change the rear height. From then on, the message would only appear intermittently - no correlation to being cold, warm, rainy or dry. As time went on, the message would appear more frequently until the message appeared every time the truck was started.

I went through and checked all the electrical connectors; each ride height sensor for both sides, both connectors at the compressor itself. Unplugging them, cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and plugging back in. Checked the fuses (all three located under the hood related to the air suspension system) and they checked out good.

Truck is not losing air, the ride height does not change, indicating a presence of a leak in the system, so I am thinking it has to be a sensor or connection? Upon starting, the system will purge the air, but then the compressor will not kick on to adjust.

I am not someone to take the truck to the dealer unless I have to - heard some horror stories during my searches of people having issues with the air suspension and having the dealers just throw parts at it hoping something will work with the most common being throwing a new compressor in which in all cases I have read, does not fix it. I find it hard to think that the compressor is my issue, as if the compressor was locked up, it would be blowing the fuse repeatedly.

Can someone lend a hand here? I am at a loss, and there is not much information regarding these systems for the HD trucks (much more on the 1500's.)

Thanks in advance!!
Hey have you got this problem fixed? the same light came on for me and i didnt notice any sagging or anything different

Zenney

Reaction score
I had been dealing with a similar issue for 6 months and just found the issue on mine and it sounds similar. With my truck I would loose suspension on really cold days, when I took long highway trips (1+hours) or if it was under a heavy load.

My truck would hold air in normal, Offroad 1 and O/R 2. The truck would loose air in entry/exit and aero mode due to a leak in the rear suspension..

The suspension freezes in winter because all the nitrogen has escaped and the system has pull in ambient air, moisture builds in freezes. Alpha ODB helped me to pin point the issue. Attached is a screen shot of the truck in Nortmal ride mode then switched to entry/exit. You can see if loose air and refill. The air is leaking from the air blatter on the top where it rolls over. You need to cut the zip tie on the top of the protective cover and pull it down. Spray it with some soapy water and you will see bubbles.

Hope.that helps
266ad920ba86bfc62c9b247c8cc31029.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread