Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Lift 7500XL Air Bags on Max Tow or 6.7HO

Bandit400

Reaction score
I just finished installing the 7500XL air bags on my 2019 Tradesman CCLB DRW 6.7HO. It has the larger AAM12 rear axle that comes on the HO engine and Max tow package. Come to the conclusion that many of the aftermarket suspension accessories are not really considering this axle when designing their products. For those who are going this route with the larger AAM12 rear axle tube, the kit that Air Lift recommends for the 7500xl bags (pn#57531) won’t fit without some minor modification. You will need to modify three of the provided brackets to fit this larger axle properly.

The slot on the top air bag bracket needs to be elongated to 1.3 inches wide otherwise the bolt holes on the upper part of the bumpstop frame won’t line up. This will prevent you from bolting the top airbag bracket to the frame. I first drilled a hole then used a square file to elongate each top bracket. Make sure you elongate the side I circled and towards the bend.
589895A9-F266-43DC-8C4D-125311AD6682.jpeg
Post use of square file to elongate slot.
119953F3-D919-45CD-8581-1B160C2265D5.jpeg

Next the bottom air bag bracket needs to have the 90 degree corners ground down slightly to a 45 degree using an angle grinder in six spots where it contacts the axle. If you don’t do this, the points where the bracket contacts the axle will be focused on six points where the bracket forms a 90 degree which isn’t good. The top of the axle should also contact the middle of the bracket after you grind the points in the red circles. Do this a little at time and test fit on axle, without the air bag mounted to the bracket, often to avoid grinding too much.
C91A5D61-A9FC-4C4B-B8D3-368968C60321.jpeg

Lastly, the bottom axle bracket needs to be ground down a bit to open up the radius as it’s sized for the slightly smaller axle tube for the standard AAM11.5 axle. If you don’t do this, the bottom bracket won’t make full contact with full curvature of the larger axle tube.
D9D943EC-2321-4403-AB82-20C7DCCC839B.png
Hope this helps others to avoid installing these parts multiple times without modifying them first. It took me three tries installing and removing the airbags assemblies to address these minor fitment issues.

Disclaimer: Do these modifications at your own risk, I have not consulted or validated any of these modifications with the manufacturer of this product.

Bandit400

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The 12" AAM comes on any HO including the SRW.

I believe the 12" comes on any DRW.

That said, I would always recommend the manufacturer be contacted and consulted before modifying parts to fit.

Bandit400

Reaction score
The 12" AAM comes on any HO including the SRW.

I believe the 12" comes on any DRW.

That said, I would always recommend the manufacturer be contacted and consulted before modifying parts to fit.
Thanks Brutal_HO about the disclaimer about modifying manufacturer parts. Agree this should be checked with manufacturer first and done at your own risk :)

Pretty sure only the 3500 SRW and DRW with 6.7HOs and those with Max Tow option get the larger AAM12 axle. All others are the AAM11.5 axle. However, I could be wrong.
This reference tends to align with that

AE67201E-8AAE-4B30-A7D1-3F87E93746EE.png

R.J.

Reaction score
I ordered the Firestone FIR2615. It states it's specifically for the 3500, but I haven't installed it yet to verify.

I'm with Brutal, perhaps they have the correct brackets in production or swap them out for you?

Bandit400

Reaction score
I ordered the Firestone FIR2615. It states it's specifically for the 3500, but I haven't installed it yet to verify.

I'm with Brutal, perhaps they have the correct brackets in production or swap them out for you?
I am going to call Air Lift today to see what they say. I will provide an update after I speak with them.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Nice job.

I pretty much expect any bolt-on part or kit to require modifications in order to fit perfectly.

I’m pleasantly surprised when they fit perfectly out of the box.

Bandit400

Reaction score
I am going to call Air Lift today to see what they say. I will provide an update after I speak with them.
Spoke with Air Lift Technical Support this afternoon, they were not aware of the presence of a larger rear axle tube on some non-cab and chassis 2019 plus RAM 3500s. Specifically those with the MAX Tow Package and 6.7 HO. They have no separate part number or brackets for this particular larger axle diameter application. I will be providing their Technical Support pictures and write up of the minor changes I had to make to the kit brackets to fit the larger AAM12 axle tube and bump stop frame. Hopefully drives a manufacturing change in the future to accommodate this application without any modification of the kit brackets.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Spoke with Air Lift Technical Support this afternoon, they were not aware of the presence of a larger rear axle tube on some non-cab and chassis 2019 plus RAM 3500s. Specifically those with the MAX Tow Package and 6.7 HO. They have no separate part number or brackets for this particular larger axle diameter application. I will be providing their Technical Support pictures and write up of the minor changes I had to make to the kit brackets to fit the larger AAM12 axle tube and bump stop frame. Hopefully drives a manufacturing change in the future to accommodate this application without any modification of the kit brackets.
Send them a bill for r&d labor

Highcountry

Reaction score
#1- nice job taking the time to make a solid and clean installation. # 2- thank you for recording your solutions and sharing them with us and the manufacturer. Pretty cool you did that

stinson87

Reaction score
Good to know! I am planning on bagging my DRW 2019 tradesman, Ill check with airlift and see how long they will take for the updated package.

swat645

Reaction score
Bandit400 Has there been any resolution to this by Air Lift that you are aware of?

Bandit400

Reaction score
Bandit400 Has there been any resolution to this by Air Lift that you are aware of?
Unfortunately, the Air Lift support engineer went radio silent and never confirmed any follow up actions that we spoke about on the phone. They have all the info I provided them so I can only hope they investigated further and corrected the issue.

Reaction score
I had only minor issues with the brackets lining up but they did if you left the fasteners loose to begin and once the angle braces were opened up one step, everything went together without any further issues. See the video below for a detailed installation.

Users who are viewing this thread