Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket wheel offset?

Xyleff

Reaction score
Looks good! You don’t happen to have a front end pic in a distance? Tire specs? Lift?

Jared2500Ram

Reaction score
Looks good! You don’t happen to have a front end pic in a distance? Tire specs? Lift?
Tires are 35x12.5x18 (make sure you get load range F) and the truck has a 2.3” Bilstine front coils and shocks. I’ll get another picture today.

BusterRam

Reaction score
Anyone able to help me with this question as I have no clue on rims.

I have a set of MT legend 35x12-5x20 sitting in the garage waiting on truck arrival.

Will these rims work? Do the tire pressure sensors transfer over or do I need to order something else?

Thanks in advance

BusterRam

Reaction score

I have a set of MT legend 35x12-5x20 sitting in the garage waiting on truck arrival.

Will these rims work? Do the tire pressure sensors transfer over or do I need to order something else?

Thanks in advance
Forgot to mention 3500 with a diesel in it

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
20x10s and it has a -18 offset. Sticks out like 2” with the 37x13.5R20 Mickey Thompson legends on a 3” lift

Plastic and minor metal trim

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score

Thanks in advance
Forgot to mention 3500 with a diesel in it

You will be fine

Highcountry

Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread but I'm trying to get my head wrapped around wheel sizing. In my hotrod days we would measure backspacing from the back of rim to the mounting surface. When you see a number such as +18 does that mean the outer edge of the wheel will be farther away from the axle or closer than zero? will a + or - number move the wheel/tire outboard? Can anyone tell me what a stock 18x9 wheels spec would be? Probably a dumb question, but I don't know, thanks.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread but I'm trying to get my head wrapped around wheel sizing. In my hotrod days we would measure backspacing from the back of rim to the mounting surface. When you see a number such as +18 does that mean the outer edge of the wheel will be farther away from the axle or closer than zero? will a + or - number move the wheel/tire outboard? Can anyone tell me what a stock 18x9 wheels spec would be? Probably a dumb question, but I don't know, thanks.
Backspacing is, as you described, from the back of the wheel to the mount face.

Offset is +/- from the center of the wheel. Negative moves the wheel out (mount face moves in) positive moves the wheel in (mount face moves out)

If the wheel is 8” wide with 0 offset the mount face is centered in the barrel of the wheel. That same wheel would measure 4” of backspace since 4” is half of 8”. Sometimes it’s not exact because they round. If the same wheel was available in +12 that’s roughly 1/2” inward (mount face moved out) so it would have 4.5” backspace now.

Clear as mud, right? Good. Lol

Highcountry

Reaction score
Backspacing is, as you described, from the back of the wheel to the mount face.

Offset is +/- from the center of the wheel. Negative moves the wheel out (mount face moves in) positive moves the wheel in (mount face moves out)

If the wheel is 8” wide with 0 offset the mount face is centered in the barrel of the wheel. That same wheel would measure 4” of backspace since 4” is half of 8”. Sometimes it’s not exact because they round. If the same wheel was available in +12 that’s roughly 1/2” inward (mount face moved out) so it would have 4.5” backspace now.

Clear as mud, right? Good. Lol
Thank you, that's helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread