Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aftermarket trailer TPMS systems - what are you using?

jeffn

Reaction score
I need a new TPMS system for my trailer. The one I am using now is one I got on Amazon, I think a bunch of different sellers offer the same system. It works okay but loses connection with the tire sensor frequently. It comes with 6 sensors, I only need 4 but I had a bad blowout and it took the valve stem and sensor with it. I have yet to figure out how to swap sensor 5 or 6 in a 4 tire configuration. Now I am thinking I should just upgrade (it didn’t alert me to the last blowout either, which is a problem).

What are you using?

94E43C40-D80B-4872-9F69-6B1209F22767.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
TireMinder with phone app (no dedicated monitor).

Comes with a repeater. I have mine mounted midships on my 5th wheel to relay the boat trailer sensors.

TST or EEZ would be my other choice.

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
Have you looked at the mopar one? I just had the sensors put into our trailer about a month ago and works great and the sensors show right on the dash in the trailer section. Only thing I wish it had was temperature but still quite happy and no extra display needed

CdnHO

Reaction score
I use Pressure Pro for the trailer. Works well. However the truck was optioned for the TTPMS and I will install the sensors when I replace the tires next year. Just need to buy an additional four sensors first.

jeffn

Reaction score
Have you looked at the mopar one? I just had the sensors put into our trailer about a month ago and works great and the sensors show right on the dash in the trailer section. Only thing I wish it had was temperature but still quite happy and no extra display needed
I did, thanks for highlighting this option. It‘s a little pricey but putting that aside for a minute, even if I wanted to I could not get the tire sensors. They seem to be out of stock. Also, temperature is pretty important to me, I monitor this more closely than pressure (Florida).

jeffn

Reaction score
TireMinder with phone app (no dedicated monitor).

Comes with a repeater. I have mine mounted midships on my 5th wheel to relay the boat trailer sensors.

TST or EEZ would be my other choice.
@Brutal_HO does the booster on the Tireminder system draw current continuously and do you have to disconnect it when the trailer is parked?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO does the booster on the Tireminder system draw current continuously and do you have to disconnect it when the trailer is parked?

I wired mine up to the running lights. I'm uncertain if it powers down/standby when not in use.

FYI, I liked the Phone app option (and cost) with the TireMinder but if I had more trailers, I would probably have gone with TST. It's a bit more sophisticated.

jeffn

Reaction score
I wired mine up to the running lights. I'm uncertain if it powers down/standby when not in use.

FYI, I liked the Phone app option (and cost) with the TireMinder but if I had more trailers, I would probably have gone with TST. It's a bit more sophisticated.
I like the idea of consolidating screens down to my smartphone, but the multiple trailer factor is important to consider. Cost-wise they are about the same at eTrailer.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
One reason to stay away from the cheap brands is due to how often they update compared with something like TST. The cheaper ones are every few minutes, so they won’t alert you in time for a blowout. TST is every few seconds.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
While I've had some weird Bluetooth app to receiver issues when walking away from the rig and returning, the Tireminder updates every 6 seconds and has alerted me to a pressure loss in a tire that picked up a nail.

Then again, I've also gotten one false alarm on one of the sensors but I believe that was caused by a low/weak/old battery.

I'll just state again, if I was buying today, I would get the TST and find a place to mount the display.

The only thing none of these systems do well is let me manage the tandem tow that I do. Currently I have the TV setup with the sensors for both truck and 5th wheel and to "disconnect" the second trailer if I don't have it, and If I am not towing anything and want to monitor the truck tires (3500 only has TPIS), just ignoring the failed/not found trailer sensors.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the thread but has anyone tried a third party TPMS with the Ram sensors on a dually. Just wondering if the two messes each other up. My trailer currently has the Pressure Pro and I still have the sensors from my 2003 dually. Will be putting on the Ram sensors on the trailer when I change the tires next year.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the thread but has anyone tried a third party TPMS with the Ram sensors on a dually. Just wondering if the two messes each other up. My trailer currently has the Pressure Pro and I still have the sensors from my 2003 dually. Will be putting on the Ram sensors on the trailer when I change the tires next year.

While (most) operate in the same frequency spectrum (~433Mhz) the truck OEM wheel sensors and OEM Trailer TPMS sensors are digitally coded to work with a RAM truck. I tried to pair my TireMinder sensors to the TTPMS and failed. I doubt you're going to get a 3rd party TPMS monitor to see the RAM wheel sensors if that's what you're after. It's possible to recode compatible sensors to link to the OEM system, but I doubt the inverse works.

I have the TM sensors installed on my truck wheels along with the factory wheel sensors and have zero interference issues.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
While I've had some weird Bluetooth app to receiver issues when walking away from the rig and returning, the Tireminder updates every 6 seconds and has alerted me to a pressure loss in a tire that picked up a nail.

Then again, I've also gotten one false alarm on one of the sensors but I believe that was caused by a low/weak/old battery.

I'll just state again, if I was buying today, I would get the TST and find a place to mount the display.

The only thing none of these systems do well is let me manage the tandem tow that I do. Currently I have the TV setup with the sensors for both truck and 5th wheel and to "disconnect" the second trailer if I don't have it, and If I am not towing anything and want to monitor the truck tires (3500 only has TPIS), just ignoring the failed/not found trailer sensors.
The TST 507 display is pretty small and fits well in the left lower corner of the windshield. Doesn't obstruct my view at all. Nice thing I like about it is the display goes a long time on one charge (at least 2-3 full days) so you don't have to have the power cord plugged in during your trips and can be recharged at night as needed. I haven't experienced any issues with distance to the sensors so in my case, the optional repeater isn't needed. I'm towing a 36' fiver.

I'm using the Garmin RV785 for navigation so I don't need to use my phone for anything other than calls (AA for instance). However, for those using phones for navigation, I can see the interest in using Tireminder to reduce the amount of things on the dash/windshield. It all comes down to personal preference.

Wileykid

Reaction score
I have had the EEZ TPMS system for the last five years or so. Not sure the frequency it updates at, but of the several times I have had a flat, it seemed to be almost instant notification. I needed the repeater for my last trailer (30'), which was metal, but my current trailer (36') is fiberglass, and works great without using the repeater.

I had the repeater wired straight to the battery, and put a switch on the battery box. Not sure I needed the switch, but easy enough to put on.

Users who are viewing this thread