Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Additions/Mod planning...

RossT

Reaction score
Ok... I've decided that I'm going with the 3500 Limited with the 6.4' Rambox. Sill undecided on regular crew vs mega cab. Anyway... Additions I'm thinking of, auxiliary fuel tank and a HARD bed cover.
I'm looking at the Fuelbox FTC50, designed and built specifically for the Rambox bed. With that said, I'm looking for a hard bed cover that I can flip up at either end of the bed. I'm looking at the BAKFlip MX4 and Diamondback HD bed covers. The diamondback does open the way I want it to, but it's $2100 and I'm concerned with losing use of the Rambox.

Anyone know of a cover that opens on the cab end that isn't $2100? I know I'm putting this on an $80k truck.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
No help here, but that will be a nice truck!

jkempken

Reaction score
Why not just get a larger Titan Fuel tank instead of the Aux Tank? I think they make them in 50 Gallon variety for these trucks.

jkempken

Reaction score
Titans no longer fit, correct?

Titan's website states 2013-2019 for both replacement tanks offered on the Cummins HD's one for Megacab short bed (50 Gallons) and one for Crew Cab Long Bed (55 gallons). Calling them may confirm fitment.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 55 gal Titan on my last dually and would put one in my new truck if it fit. I liked the extra capacity with no loss of bed space.

RossT

Reaction score
The Titan isn't out of the running, but for the same price I get 80 gallon capacity vs 55 with the Titan. Giving up the bed space isn't a concern, my current Ram is a short bed with a toolbox/fuel tank combo.

IAMSPARTA

Reaction score
Ok... I've decided that I'm going with the 3500 Limited with the 6.4' Rambox. Sill undecided on regular crew vs mega cab. Anyway... Additions I'm thinking of, auxiliary fuel tank and a HARD bed cover.
I'm looking at the Fuelbox FTC50, designed and built specifically for the Rambox bed. With that said, I'm looking for a hard bed cover that I can flip up at either end of the bed. I'm looking at the BAKFlip MX4 and Diamondback HD bed covers. The diamondback does open the way I want it to, but it's $2100 and I'm concerned with losing use of the Rambox.

Anyone know of a cover that opens on the cab end that isn't $2100? I know I'm putting this on an $80k truck.

BakFlip website says the F1 cover is for the classic body style not the new body style. Their chat said the cover is good for the 2018 ram 3500 but didn't understand that the 2019 Ram HD was released in January. Anyone order one and fits a 6'4" box on a 2019 3500 HD no rambox?

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
The box is the same. I'm running a tonneau cover for an 18 on mine and it fits perfectly.

RTillery

Reaction score
I just put an F1 Bakflip on my 3500, full width 6'4" bed about a week ago. I called and ordered it directly from Bakflip and gave them my 2019 info. The said they had it in stock and it was shipped out right away. Everything seemed fine with the installation. I just wish it was about 1/4" -3/8" longer in the rear to cover the tailgate a little more. The last few days I was in Silverton, Co. Lots of rain and spitting snow at 33 degrees Tuesday morning. I drove in rain for several hours off and on. Just a couple of very minor drips tracking around the perimeter. Not absolutely, perfectly dry, but not too bad. I can live with it. The Bakflip does not open at the front, but you can flop it all the way forward with only about 6" left covered by the fixed first short panel.

IAMSPARTA

Reaction score
I just put an F1 Bakflip on my 3500, full width 6'4" bed about a week ago. I called and ordered it directly from Bakflip and gave them my 2019 info. The said they had it in stock and it was shipped out right away. Everything seemed fine with the installation. I just wish it was about 1/4" -3/8" longer in the rear to cover the tailgate a little more. The last few days I was in Silverton, Co. Lots of rain and spitting snow at 33 degrees Tuesday morning. I drove in rain for several hours off and on. Just a couple of very minor drips tracking around the perimeter. Not absolutely, perfectly dry, but not too bad. I can live with it. The Bakflip does not open at the front, but you can flop it all the way forward with only about 6" left covered by the fixed first short panel.

So I called them and they said the old body style is wider and longer on a 6.4" box:
Old Body Style P/N is 772203
New Body Style P/N is 772223

Can anyone confirm the 2019 HD is the new body style box and P/N 772223 is correct?

RTillery

Reaction score
So I called them and they said the old body style is wider and longer on a 6.4" box:
Old Body Style P/N is 772203
New Body Style P/N is 772223

Can anyone confirm the 2019 HD is the new body style box and P/N 772223 is correct?

The one I installed on my 2019 3500 6'4" box is part number 772203
If you go to Bakflip.com and enter your truck info, it will give you the part number.
When I just did it, I tried a new style 1500 and the 77223 number came up.
Put in a 3500 or 2500 and the 772203 is the one the show fitting the HDs
I know I paid a little more ordering it directly from Bakflip, but I felt they had a better understanding of the new model than some of their vendors. YMMV

huff2462

Reaction score
The beds for the HD's are unchanged. BAK's statement about not the 2019 beds is referencing the 1500's only.

You'll be totally fine ordering one from a prior year. (I just installed a BAK Fibermax last week)

maxsteel

Reaction score
The only thing different on the new HDs as far as bed goes is the top cap of the tailgate is now flat. At least as far as I can tell.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
This cover is for a 2018....it fits perfectly.

20190320_142407-X2.jpg

BillnLA

Reaction score
RossT

Don't know if you have already made a decision, but Extang makes a hard cover that opens from both the front and rear. Called the Encore. had one on my 16 1500 and worked well. Was able to key the lock on it to the valet key in the fob.

Users who are viewing this thread