Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding 5th wheel/Gooseneck prep...OEM or...

raven_dt

Reaction score
Looking at adding the OEM 5th wheel prep or going with the BW turnover hitch. I heard some folks say that they have issues with the BW kingpin binding up (or rusting (we live in the SE)). Like the idea of the 4" extender on the BW hitch since I have the 6'4" bed. Any thoughts?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Oem is better in my books and its better running a 5th wheel hitch instead of a gooseneck ball setup on a camper so the offset does not matter… i really try to avoid gooseneck unless i have no other choice

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
My truck didn’t have the factory prep so I went B&W Turnover and factory puck/5th wheel. With my current 5ver, I don’t need the offset hitch or a slider. Not sure what the future holds but I’ll be able to accommodate whatever.

Attachments

• D3E399D3-363A-417B-9C9B-3E0AFB743D49.jpeg
    D3E399D3-363A-417B-9C9B-3E0AFB743D49.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 33
  • A4A81E19-D19B-41DD-AACD-292C5F27FAA0.jpeg
    A4A81E19-D19B-41DD-AACD-292C5F27FAA0.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 32

Jacob

Reaction score
I installed the bw gooseneck. I think it's good. I'm not familiar with the oem to know which is better. I use with bw companion 5th wheel hitch but also gooseneck trailer. Kinda thinking about a goosebox someday and would need the extension at that point. I'm not sure what you mean by the kingpin rusting in place. You mean the ball? It came with some kinda grease to help keep it from sticking.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I installed the bw gooseneck. I think it's good. I'm not familiar with the oem to know which is better. I use with bw companion 5th wheel hitch but also gooseneck trailer. Kinda thinking about a goosebox someday and would need the extension at that point. I'm not sure what you mean by the kingpin rusting in place. You mean the ball? It came with some kinda grease to help keep it from sticking.
oh trust me it is very easy for them to get seized in place. either the ball gets stuck in the receiver or the release handle seizes. The handle is a more common issue as the wheels throw salt and calcium spray at it and wash the grease off pretty easy

Users who are viewing this thread