Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acrid smoke from left engine bay, 2005 3500 Crew Cab 5.9 single hub rear axle

Guido

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newb.
Not only to the forum, but this 2005 5.9 is my first diesel. Bought it from my brother-in-law's estate with 112k on the odometer, he was a diesel mechanic and maintained his fleet of (6) 18-wheelers.
I had my 26' gooseneck lowboy loaded w/ 50 sheets of plywood to start the finish work to my new shop. It was a substantial load, but no sweat for the Cummins. about 20 miles into the 50 mile trip home I saw and smelled acrid smoke whisping from under the hood. I pulled over and checked the engine compartment, it appeared the smoke was coming from the area between left wheel and the engine.
I slowed way down and made it home without further incident. Next day I took the truck for a short ride after unhooking the trailer and saw no obvious smoke.
Are the wheel bearings on these trucks susceptible to wear in this fashion? Since it was the first time I had a fairly substantial load attached, that seemed like a logical place to start.
From there, however, I got nuttin'. No idea of where to poke around if the wheel bearing gets replaced and it still smokes when totin' a load.
Any wisdom to share?

Thanks in advance,
Guido in E. Texas

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No its not a wheel bearing lol.... was the smoke from the blow by tube?

Guido

Reaction score
No its not a wheel bearing lol.... was the smoke from the blow by tube?
Don't know, but I'll check. Would that typically be exhausting smoke that smells like a car fire? Would it occur when the engine is under heavy (ish) load?
The truck's up in the country, it's our "farm truck'. I'll check in a few days with the next load I run up there (we're finally retired and moving out'a the city!)

Thanks for the reply and the lead.
-Guido

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Don't know, but I'll check. Would that typically be exhausting smoke that smells like a car fire? Would it occur when the engine is under heavy (ish) load?
The truck's up in the country, it's our "farm truck'. I'll check in a few days with the next load I run up there (we're finally retired and moving out'a the city!)

Thanks for the reply and the lead.
-Guido
If it smelt like actual smoke then no its not blow by your going to have to do some testing

Guido

Reaction score
Hello, H3LZSN1P3R

It appears as smoke (not heavy, but visible) and reeks. It literally smells like a car/truck fire, when plastic, rubber, fuels, etc. combine to produce a really nasty, acrid smell.
I suppose I'll get a code reader and see what it indicates.

Many thanks again for your advice.

Judging from your screen name, do a little "PRS" possibly?
I'm going to make an assumption and thank you for your service, Sir.

I'm proud to fly the LaRue "God Bless......" sticker on my trucks.

Respectfully,​

Guido in the Republic of Texas

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hello, H3LZSN1P3R

It appears as smoke (not heavy, but visible) and reeks. It literally smells like a car/truck fire, when plastic, rubber, fuels, etc. combine to produce a really nasty, acrid smell.
I suppose I'll get a code reader and see what it indicates.

Many thanks again for your advice.

Judging from your screen name, do a little "PRS" possibly?
I'm going to make an assumption and thank you for your service, Sir.

I'm proud to fly the LaRue "God Bless......" sticker on my trucks.

Respectfully,​

Guido in the Republic of Texas
Nope i am non military but lots of my familiy including my dad was

Nick

Reaction score
Check you fan belt tension roller may have been sticking causing the belt to smoke

Users who are viewing this thread