Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

68RFE problem after hitting boulder

Dpartain

Reaction score
Alright this is gonna be a long post so bare with me. I was at my deer lease in my 2019 2500 diesel and ended up finding a Boulder in some tall grass. It sheared off the transmission oil pressure cooler and return hose assembly (pn: 68359848ad) and began spewing transmission fluid. I was able to get it back to camp before it all completely leaked out but it was slipping like a SOB. But it was working when I parked it.

The truck was left there for a week while I gathered parts and a trailer just in case. Last night I went back and replaced the broken part. I put about 6 quarts in it and checked level. It showed full. Started the truck and put it into gear to warm up, rechecked the fluid level and it had dropped significantly. I added a few more quarts and repeated the process. The transmission will not move in any gear. The truck did throw a check engine light when initially driving back to the lease with fluid leaking, although I am unsure what the code is (haven’t checked it yet).

Any idea why the transmission would not be engaging after all that? Could there be air in the system? I don’t think the pump is bad because when I put it in gear initially it appeared so suck up the fluid and drop the level a lot but that may just be a fluke. Thanks for any help!

123zk

Reaction score
You fried it. When it happened and the light came on you should have shut down your truck. Driving with low hydraulic fluid not good. Find a new transmission.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Yep, you killed it. Should have towed it out instead of trying to drive it back to camp. Time for a complete rebuild.

Dpartain

Reaction score
Yep, you killed it. Should have towed it out instead of trying to drive it back to camp. Time for a complete rebuild.

If I hadn’t gotten it out of the woods, there would have been no towing it. No tow truck was gonna get back there where I was. It was a few hundred yards off the road down a Jeep trail. Shoulda coulda woulda I suppose.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
The engineer that designed that system should be roped and dragged down Main Street. Saw a work truck on a lift with old Tran on table new one installed and I asked what happened. He said tore off the lines. Talked to a Chevy guy who hit the snow bank and the ditch and then drove home unaware he tore trans lines. He said warranty put in a new transmission. Stupid design. Sorry for your loss.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to claim it on insurance since the vehicle collided with the rock.

Dpartain

Reaction score
You should be able to claim it on insurance since the vehicle collided with the rock.
That’s my last resort. Was hoping to avoid that but may be the only option after all.

Sam 15

Reaction score
I had a 72 blazer that hit a boulder/rock while I was crossing a semi-fast small river. This was years ago...in the 80's. I couldn't see the boulder/rock as the water was about 6" above the door sill. Cracked the transmission case open, undriveable. To get the the transmission covered under the insurance policy my insurance agent said "we'll say that a boulder/rock rolled down a hillside onto the roadway and it was unavoidable or it won't be covered. " That insurance agent was looking out for me, I doubt that would happen these days. He said that because the rock was stationary and not moving, the the home office would view it as avoidable and wouldn't care that it was underwater and not visable. Good luck with your claim if you go that route.

Riddick

Reaction score
Did you cycle through all the gears after you refilled it? You likely drained the converter with your leak, cycle through all the gears slowly a few times with the truck running. You might be ok, not sure how long you drove it with low fluid but you definitely took some life off the trans. Best of luck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
If by some miracle it isn't completely dead, expect it to shift like absolute crap for a while. The tramsniaaion learns the wear level of the clutches and with no fluid in there it makes the computer thing the clutches are worn completely down, so once there's fluid again they'll grab hard on each shift. If you can force a relearn it'll help some.

Users who are viewing this thread