Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7L vs ecodiesel mpg

Dave01

Reaction score
I will try a pump back to pump calculated trip some time to see if the mpg calculator is that far off.
Good plan Jason. A few of us are kidding around because this comes up all the time, but I appreciate that you are trying to figure out the real story with the mods you have. Calculate every tank for a while, you'll see the numbers when you are just doing your day to day driving, then on a highway trip you'll see what the difference is. The max mpg numbers you see people reporting are usually 21-22. Maybe a 24 once in a while like H3 said above. Many people never crack 20. So when someone says they got close to 30 mpg with a 6.7 you get some reactions because IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is, also air intake and cp3 pressure pump.

Neither of those will have an impact on fuel economy.

The CP3 is just a better pump, but it won’t do anything for efficiency.

I have yet to see an aftermarket intake do a better job than stock, especially at low airflow. The only time an aftermarket intake is needed is when you outflow the stock intake with a turbo upgrade, and even then it takes a lot more rwhp than stock. High fuel economy occurs at the lowest airflow possible, no good way to improve that over stock and if you do then you are reducing filtration. Most the CAI’s pull warmer air than stock too.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Good plan Jason. A few of us are kidding around because this comes up all the time, but I appreciate that you are trying to figure out the real story with the mods you have. Calculate every tank for a while, you'll see the numbers when you are just doing your day to day driving, then on a highway trip you'll see what the difference is. The max mpg numbers you see people reporting are usually 21-22. Maybe a 24 once in a while like H3 said above. Many people never crack 20. So when someone says they got close to 30 mpg with a 6.7 you get some reactions because IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.
H3LLSNIPER is deleted FYI so I do think he's getting 24 more often than once in a while

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Mine is pretty close other than idling in the winter. My last 600km trip the dash said 24.5mpg and hand calculated was 24mpg so thats not bad
I used to hand calc at each fill for a while and it would almost always come pretty close so I stopped that.
The only time where it would lie is the scenario I outlined above. Towing a trailer from AB to BC and back through the mountains and with their 120kmph speed limits, the mileage would suffer but getting back into Alberta and away from the Rockies, evic numbers would get back to what they were within 300kms it takes to get from Hinton to Edmonton. No way would it improve so much in 300kms after thousands of kms through BC. Obviously I hand calcd after those trips and computer was waaay off.

Users who are viewing this thread